• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nine Noble Virtues - Asatru

Bishka

Veteran Member
So what are they? :)

I've never heard of them before, and I was interested in them.

**MODS if you could move this to the correct forum! Thanks you*

Zephyr

Moved on
The Nine Noble Virtues are a set of guidelines for Asatruar taken from the Havamal and codified by the Odinic Rite, a major heathen organization.

The virtues are:
  1. Courage
  2. Truth
  3. Honour
  4. Fidelity
  5. Discipline
  6. Hospitality
  7. Self Reliance
  8. Industriousness
  9. Perseverance
Also around the same time they brought out the Nine Charges.

The charges are:
  1. To maintain candour and fidelity in love and devotion to the tried friend: though he strike me I will do him no scathe.
  2. Never to make wrongsome oath: for great and grim is the reward for the breaking of plighted troth.
  3. To deal not hardly with the humble and the lowly.
  4. To remember the respect that is due to great age.
  5. To suffer no evil to go unremedied and to fight against the enemies of Faith, Folk and Family: my foes I will fight in the field, nor will I stay to be burnt in my house.
  6. To succour the friendless but to put no faith in the pledged word of a stranger people.
  7. If I hear the fool's word of a drunken man I will strive not: for many a grief and the very death groweth from out such things.
  8. To give kind heed to dead men: straw dead, sea dead or sword dead.
  9. To abide by the enactments of lawful authority and to bear with courage the decrees of the Norns.
Hope that helps.

For a more in-depth look at the Nine Noble Virtues, go on over to the blog Expanding Inward, as the recent posts have detailed each of these virtues. Well, a few of them are not written about yet, but I'm sure they will be!