• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The News And You

The News And You

• I watch/read the news because I feel I should be informed.

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • I watch/read the news because I feel I should be entertained.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I have enough problems, unless it is happening outside in my backyard, I couldn’t care less.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I watch/read the news because I care about my fellow man and the world around me.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I'd rather watch Scooby Doo expose the Spooky Space Ghost for the umpteenth time than watch news.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I only resort to the news when there is something exciting happening.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I watch/read the news faithfully because by nature I am nosey.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

cardero

Citizen Mod
Where do you stand on international, local and social news? This would include internet, television and newspaper news. Do you watch or read news at all and how much of an impact does it really have on your life?

evearael

I am a news junkie... I am constantly reading the news throughout the day. I really like international news, which tends to be completely glossed over by a lot of the dominant news providers in America.

cardero

Citizen Mod
evearael said:
I am a news junkie... I am constantly reading the news throughout the day. I really like international news, which tends to be completely glossed over by a lot of the dominant news providers in America.
Most papers just devote a page or two to this kind of news. mrscardero sometimes has to periodically get a home paper from her home country of the Phillipines just to be kept informed.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I get most of my news from magazines, online newspapers, NPR, and the internet.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Does anyone enjoy a particular medium over another? Newspapers over television, magazines over internet? Current over lets say a magazines monthly coverage? Is it important that it is timely?

evearael

I really like the internet because you can sift through a lot of information very quickly. I like the BBC because they are more thorough than the news sources on this side of the pond regarding things I'm interested in... I like NPR for the radio and C-SPAN for television... Actually, C-SPAN is the only reason I miss tv.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I actually prefer magazines. Timely doesn't appeal to me as much as thoroughness.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I watch/read the news because I care about my fellow man and the world around me.
and:-
I watch/read the news faithfully because by nature I am nosey.

The second was more 'flip' as an answer. The reason being that I can well remember a very famous (agony aunt) lady in the U.K who was asked to speak at the Samaritan's annual conference one year.

She quite astounded me by saying "Someone once asked me why I enjoy counselling; I replied 'Because I enjoy helping others, and 2) because I am naturally nosey'"

I think there is a grain of truth to that; other's stories are 'interesting' (they are all an education, if nothing else). As far as the news goes, sometimes I don't want to hear it, but maybe I need to.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Sorry, there was no other option, and nothing applied to me.

I don't watch the news for several reasons. First, I don't really like TV. Second, the news is always depressing, and nothing good ever gets more than a few seconds of air-time, and I have enough problems withy being depressed already. Also, I flat out do not trust the news programs and papers at all.
Occasionally I'll check out the BBC, but only once in a blue moon.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I have my homepage set as the BBC: Americas news page :D I nose around on it before going to do other stuff online, and periodically check back at it every now and then. I'm also on several political email lists. I don't really watch news on the TV at all except when I'm eating breakfast and there's nothing better to watch.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
The internet is probably my first source for news because I watch very little TV. And I catch up with newspapers on the weekends and then news magazines like Time come in last for news sources. Sometimes though if a particular event is intriguing to me....I will use other sources for infomation like the university library.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
I'd rather watch scooby doo reruns than someone else's mindnumbing limited information on how the world is a bad place.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
ChrisP said:
I'd rather watch scooby doo reruns than someone else's mindnumbing limited information on how the world is a bad place.

I thought Americans were the only ones guilty of lax newsy knowledge of world affairs? :rolleyes::p

mr.guy

crapsack
jensa said:
I have my homepage set as the BBC
The BBC, Reuters and the AP (to name a few) all have a good toolbar RSS feed. Great way to get (at the very least) alot of headlines fast; also an interesting way evalute each agency's news perogative, especially were if one tacked on CNN and FOX update feeds.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I check the news in some way, shape or form every day.

But I rarely accept EVERYTHING that I'm being fed at face value and truthfully, I'm often irritated by media.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I watch the local news for weather, sports, and to keep up which family member is the latest to be arrested. :p I read the news, cnn, off my phone along with espn.