• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NEW religion in America

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
As a complete aside... and perhaps irrelevant...
I doubt most people would know if anyone showed up stoned on cannabis to most places.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As a complete aside... and perhaps irrelevant...
I doubt most people would know if anyone showed up stoned on cannabis to most places.

Sorry, but often the smell lingers on them. Not always, but it does. I grew up in the late 60s so I know the smell. Others wouldn't.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
You are right about the smell.

The person who would show up to Temple or any house of worship reeking of cannabis,
which is at least disrespectful to others there,
likely isn't the kind of person doing it why any kind of mindfulness in partaking in the first place.

Almustafa

because he is a deity, he's got a mind and body... his true nature is Brahman...
why would he need clothes or to practice yoga for that matter?

Aghoris are almost always stoned to my knowledge.

it is only because of christian missionaries and other western influences on religion that has caused Ganja to be frowned upon

Ganja is associated with worship of the deity Shiva, who is sometimes associated with the hemp plant. Bhang is offered to Shiva images, especially on Shivratri festival. This practice is particularly witnessed at the temples of Benares, Baidynath, Tarakeswar, Pashupatinath Temple and other Shiv Temples of India and Nepal.Bhang is not only offered to Shiva, but also consumed by Shaivite yogis. Charas is smoked by some Shaivite devotees and cannabis itself is seen as a gift (prasad, or offering) to Shiva to aid in sadhana.Some of the wandering ascetics in India and Nepal known as sadhus smoke charas out of a clay chillum . Nonetheless most Hindu philosophies, other than certain Shaiva or Shakta traditions, disapprove the use of non-pharmaceutical drugs.
During the Indian and Nepalese(especially Terai Region and some parts of Hilly Regions as well) festival of Holi , people consume bhang which contains cannabis flowers. According to one description, when the amrita (elixir of life) was produced from the churning of the oceann by the devas and the asuras, Shiva created cannabis from his own body to purify the elixir (whence, for cannabis, the epithet angaja or "body-born"). Another account suggests that the cannabis plant sprang up when a drop of the elixir dropped on the ground. Thus, cannabis is used by sages due to association with elixir and Shiva.

the idea that hindus shouldnt smoke ganja is a personal oppinion that is not universally held by all hindus

Last edited:

EyeofOdin

You've left out one category of spirituality which is growing very rapidly as well: Indigenous religions.

These are religions which are usually polytheistic (hard) and were practiced by Pre Christian peoples, almost all practitioners of a common religious worldview also had a common ethnicity, culture or language. These include Japanese Shino, African Heritage Kemetic Spirituality, Germanic Heathenry, Hellenismos, Vodun etc.