• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nei-yeh - discussion

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
There are things in the Nei-Yeh that I find rather confusing, and I don't think I'm the only one so I would like to discuss some of it, if anyone is interested

I am using this translation of it

The Nei-yeh (Inner Cultivation or Inward Training)
Anonymous - Mid 4th Century BCE
Translated by Harold Roth

The first one that to me was a bit confusing (and maybe I am over thinking it) is eight

Eight
If you can be aligned and be tranquil,
Only then can you be stable.
With a stable mind at your core,
With the eyes and ears acute and clear,
And with the four limbs firm and fixed,
You can thereby make a lodging place for the vital essence.
The vital essence: it is the essence of the vital energy.
When the vital energy is guided, it [the vital essence] is generated,
But when it is generated, there is thought,
When there is thought, there is knowledge,
But when there is knowledge, then you must stop.
Whenever the forms of the mind have excessive knowledge,
You loose your vitality.

It seems to be saying "think but don't think" or "stop before you do think". Of course it could be "thinking without thinking" and that would be a rather Daoist way of looking at it, and surprisingly I get that one. But it seems as if thought takes vitality and yet it is telling you to think..... help.

Baladas

An Págánach
I think perhaps, it is trying to say that when we cultivate the vital essence, this leads to intuitive knowledge about it.
And that from there, we shouldn't over-think or over-analyze our intuitive understanding, because doing so removes us from our center which can lead to a loss of vital energy.

It makes me think of one of my earliest encounters with Daoist thought, practicing QiGong for the first time.
The instructor of guided exercise I practiced would say things like "envision a golden light above your head...once you have the picture, let it go".

If I am right, a similar idea would apply here. When the intuitive knowledge arises, acknowledge it, then let it go. Don't grasp at it.
I hope that helps a little...I could be completely wrong, but that is what I got out of it.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
when put in terms of grasping, I see it more as thinking of a thing is fine but obsessing is not.