• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Narrow and Wide Gates

ThisShouldMakeSense

Matthew 7:13,14
‘Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.’

What do you think these verses are speaking about? I think they are symbolic of the choices we make as regards to the religion we choose and the life we then lead.
I also think that it helps to identify the true religion. For instance, it says that only a few find the road to life. To me that say’s that a lot of the major religions aren’t ‘the road to life’ as there are so many members, i.e over a billion catholics and over a billion muslims. Maybe I’ve got it all wrong, but I’d like to see what you think. Ta!
Ps. what is the life he is refering to?

Ori

Angel slayer
I think its more about the life we live, not our religion (or lack thereof), the only true religion as far as i'm concerned is love.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]7:13 "Don't look for shortcuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easygoing formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don't fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]7:14 The way to life - to God! - is vigorous and requires total attention. [/font]
First the life, that you are asking of is translated from the greek word:
Zoe:
    1. of the absolute fulness of life, both essential and ethical, which belongs to God, and through him both to the hypostatic "logos" and to Christ in whom the "logos" put on human nature
    2. life real and genuine, a life active and vigorous, devoted to God, blessed, in the portion even in this world of those who put their trust in Christ, but after the resurrection to be consummated by new accessions (among them a more perfect body), and to last for ever.
The other thing I found is that the word 'narrow' is used, and translated from this word,
Thlibo:
  1. to press (as grapes), press hard upon
  2. a compressed way
  3. metaph. to trouble, afflict, distress
The word 'way' leans towards this in the original language
Hodos:
  1. a course of conduct
  2. a way (i.e. manner) of thinking, feeling, deciding