• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Name YHWH

garrydons

Shalom everyone! Eversince I become a Messianic Believer, the question about the personal Name of the Creator has bothered me lot up to this very moment. My question was and is: Can the proper Name of the Creator be pronounced correctly nowadays? Exodus 3: 15 says that "This is my Name,my Name forever by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation, this is my Name. With this verse alone, I believe that the Name of the God of Isael could still be pronounced accurately. Or maybe I just dont understand the verse correctly. I have already done so many research on this sensitive topic but still I wasnt able to have a convincing answer. Maybe somebody out there could provide me the answer. your answer will be highly appreciated.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Shalom!

You must understand the power of this name.

I was said aloud by human lips only once a year, at the holiest moment, in the Holy of Holies, by the Cohen Gadol, after much preparation.

When The Name was spoken, miracles spontaneously occurred. Evey Jew fell prostrate on the ground, without touching their neighbor. Before this, they were jammed so tightly into the courtyard, one could barely breathe. If a boulder was in your way, it was split in two. Space and time... meant nothing.

All that being said, only those of the Cohen bloodline, who may be candidates for such a role, are preserving the true pronunciation of The Name.

The rest of us... don't know what it is, and being wrong and mispronouncing ... well best not think about that.

garrydons

Shalom!

You must understand the power of this name.

I was said aloud by human lips only once a year, at the holiest moment, in the Holy of Holies, by the Cohen Gadol, after much preparation.

When The Name was spoken, miracles spontaneously occurred. Evey Jew fell prostrate on the ground, without touching their neighbor. Before this, they were jammed so tightly into the courtyard, one could barely breathe. If a boulder was in your way, it was split in two. Space and time... meant nothing.

All that being said, only those of the Cohen bloodline, who may be candidates for such a role, are preserving the true pronunciation of The Name.

The rest of us... don't know what it is, and being wrong and mispronouncing ... well best not think about that.

Thanks for the answer. Just a follow up question: May I know were do you got your statement? is it in the Bible or in the Talmud or other reference?
Regarding the pronouncing of the Name that only once a year and only the High Priest.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Thanks for the answer. Just a follow up question: May I know were do you got your statement? is it in the Bible or in the Talmud or other reference?
Regarding the pronouncing of the Name that only once a year and only the High Priest.

This was what our Rebbi told us, he would often relate such stories during the weekly portions that dealt with Temple sacrifice. As he was the only real Tzaddik I've ever known in my life, I have little reason to doubt him. The sources would be Talmudic and Kabbbalistic, but I don't know them. I do believe that these events were from the First Temple period, the Second Temple didn't have this level of G-d's presence. After the First Temple was destroyed, those who would have known the true pronunciation of The Name were a tiny few. The numbers who knew The Name after the second Temple's destruction, and our exile in Galut Edom... vanishingly small, I would think. It may very be, chas v'shalom, nobody currently knows the correct pronunciation, at least with the level of certainty to pronounce it aloud.

Shalom