• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most ANNOYING misconception about YOUR faith?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
What, for you, is the most annoying misconception about your faith?

I don't really know where to begin. I suppose the most annoying misconception about Islam, to me, is that it hasn't played as significant a role as it did in the development of the world. So much, in terms of architecture, music, dance, and so on - styles found universally around the globe - owe their roots to Islam. So much science and literature, so many aspects of modern civilization.

It really saddens me that students in Paris, for example, learn about European inventors while students in Bosnia learn about the Arabs and Persians who invented the same things often centuries earlier. This misconception of world history, I think, also plays a role in the rare but present misconception that all Muslims are terrorists today.

Another misconception that bothers me relates to Muslim women. I am frustrated with the Arab world's implementation of scripture in countries like Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan, and frustrated with non-Muslim misconceptions about Muslim women. I notice when I'm in Norway that if I'm wearing a veil, people speak more slowly to me as though they somehow have this belief that I am stupid. It's not a mean thing, they're still extraordinarily polite, but still they speak as though they're talking to a child - and its not because I'm Bosnian, it never happens when I don't wear a veil.

Those would be it for me.

What's it for you?

Bishka

Veteran Member
That we practice polygamy

That we worship Joseph Smith

I could go on and on and on and on (LDS)

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
dawny0826 said:
That we handle snakes and jump about like we're crazy.

Untrue.

(Pentecostal)

Hahaha, people really think that? I have seen a movie in which a character was Pentecostal and the boys wouldn't go near her because "they're crazies", but I didn't think their stereotype was that extreme.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
beckysoup61 said:

I could go on and on and on and on (LDS)

The polygamy thing must be just as frustrating for you as the terrorism thing, because the polygamists claim your faith. :(

You have my sincere sympathies, becky. That makes it so difficult outside of your own community - who already know better anyway.

Ody

Our political views are based on our religion.
That we control the media.
That we control all governments.
That protocols is real.
That we created communism to "kill all christians"
That the Holocaust is a myth to help the Zionist cause.
That Zionism is one and the same with Judaism.

If you look up 'Jew' in google the second thing that comes up is www.jewwatch.com that is to quote wiki
Jew Watch is a website that claims to "report accurate information regarding Jewish ownership and control over mass media and politics," and which describes its objective as "Keeping a Close Watch on Jewish Communities & Organizations Worldwide." It is owned and maintained by Frank Weltner, a member of the National Alliance, a nazi organization.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewwatch

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Eva said the same thing. She said the belief that Jews are global puppet masters who always pull the strings in immoral directions is the most annoying thing. She also finds annoying that Jews everyone are misconcepted as "Israeli", when most Sephards have never been, never will be, and couldn't care less.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
dawny0826 said:
That we handle snakes and jump about like we're crazy.

Untrue.

(Pentecostal)
You dont? Oh, darn! You mean I was impressed all this time over nothing? You guys are just a bunch of wimps like everybody else. :D You do roll in the aisles like you're having a seizure don't you? Oh, please, don't disappoint me a second time!!!!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Djamila said:
Another misconception that bothers me relates to Muslim women. I am frustrated with the Arab world's implementation of scripture in countries like Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan, and frustrated with non-Muslim misconceptions about Muslim women. I notice when I'm in Norway that if I'm wearing a veil, people speak more slowly to me as though they somehow have this belief that I am stupid. It's not a mean thing, they're still extraordinarily polite, but still they speak as though they're talking to a child - and its not because I'm Bosnian, it never happens when I don't wear a veil.
Oh, you've got to be kidding! That would be enough to send me right over the edge. :fight:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Djamila said:
Hahaha, people really think that? I have seen a movie in which a character was Pentecostal and the boys wouldn't go near her because "they're crazies", but I didn't think their stereotype was that extreme.

There are charismatic type churches which really DO handle snakes and get a little funky.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
beckysoup61 said:

I could go on and on and on and on
Well, let me save you the trouble. Here's my favorite one:

That we believe we (LDS) are all going to be gods someday, that each of us is going to have our own little planet, populated by billions of little Mormons. Oh, and that we're going to engage in endless celestial sex to create these new little critters. (Now c'mon guys, if that's not a selling point for Mormonism, what is?) Meanwhile, everybody who's not LDS is going to Hell.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:

That we believe we (LDS) are all going to be gods someday, that each of us is going to have our own little planet, populated by billions of little Mormons. Oh, and that we're going to engage in endless celestial sex to create these new little critters. (Now c'mon guys, if that's not a selling point for Mormonism, what is?) Meanwhile, everybody who's not LDS is going to Hell.

:biglaugh:

Although there are some Mormons who actually believe this.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:
It's not true????? Then why the heck become a Mormon? for the underclothing? :D

I've gone to a Baptist church for 20 years.......common misconception is that we are affiliated with Southern Baptists.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
You dont? Oh, darn! You mean I was impressed all this time over nothing? You guys are just a bunch of wimps like everybody else. :D

I guess I'm part of the wimp club. Although, my great grandparents really DID go to a Charasmatic church out in the country that handled snakes and rolled around in the aisles. My Nana, who I inherited my wimpiness from, tells these hilarious stories about how she used to escape and weasle her way out of snake handling.

Amazingly, no one got bit. True story. There really is something to "faith" handling. I'd just rather observe snakes behind double paned glass, thank you.:D

You do roll in the aisles like you're having a seizure don't you? Oh, please, don't disappoint me a second time!!!!

I'll just say yes, so that I won't dissapoint. :D

About as wild as it gets is a little bit of voice elevation at times and raising our hands to heaven. Other than that...our services tend to be comparable to that of most Protestant church services. I've been to Lutheran, Baptist and Church of the Brethren services. Not much difference between them.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Katzpur said:

This part especially gave me a chuckle...

..."endless celestial sex to create these new little critters."

Good grief. Please tell me people don't actually believe this kind of stuff.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Buttercup said:
It's not true????? Then why the heck become a Mormon? for the underclothing? :D
Well, of course! That's the best part! :D

I've gone to a Baptist church for 20 years.......common misconception is that we are affiliated with Southern Baptists.
Well, since I'm one of the guilty ones who does tend to group all Baptists together, why don't you take this opportunity to educate me on the differences between you and them? Seriously, I have no idea what they are other than that I believe the Southern Baptists are the more conservative group.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
dawny0826 said:
I guess I'm part of the wimp club. Although, my great grandparents really DID go to a Charasmatic church out in the country that handled snakes and rolled around in the aisles. My Nana, who I inherited my wimpiness from, tells these hilarious stories about how she used to escape and weasle her way out of snake handling.

Amazingly, no one got bit. True story. There really is something to "faith" handling. I'd just rather observe snakes behind double paned glass, thank you.:D
Well, in that case, I'm going to just back off right now. I wouldn't want to pass judgment. Your great grandfather was a snake-handler, and mine was a polygamist. So I guess we've both got some interesting family history. :D

About as wild as it gets is a little bit of voice elevation at times and raising our hands to heaven.
That reminds me of something I heard Gladys Knight say once. You may or may not know that she converted to Mormonism several years ago. She is now a very committed Latter-day Saint. But once shortly after her conversion, she made a comment about how hard it was for her to get used to the Mormon hymns. She had been used to a more, shall we say "exuberant" form of worship, especially where the music was concerned, and our typically "un-exuberant" hymns just about drove her up a wall.