• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mahavidyas

von bek

Hello, all. I have been learning much about the Mahavidyas. Well, still just scratching the surface of the subject to be perfectly honest. Anyone here have experiences with these goddesses? They have strong Tantric associations, but I do not believe Their worship is restricted to that context. I find Them quite beautiful and powerful. I think one of the Hindu temples in my city has a shrine to Lalita Tripura Sundari, one of the Mahavidyas. (I know that in some Shakta traditions, Tripura Sundari is worshipped as the supreme form of Mahadevi.) For anyone not familiar with the Mahavidyas, They are ten different forms that Kali (or Whomever you consider Mahadevi) takes.

Some interesting info on the subject: The Mahavidyas: The Powers of Consciousness Conceptualized – Part 1 | Vedanta Society of Southern California

von bek

And to be clear, these are not ten separate divinities. All the Mahavidyas are One! Kali's forms and names are infinite.

Peter108

I totally share your interest, one of my goals is to receive their mantras and sadhanas from an authentic source. The attainable siddhis associated with each of them are also very interesting.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I like all that but not 'shop' and 'support us'.
I also don't like 'embodiment of Goddess' part.

Last edited:

von bek

I totally share your interest, one of my goals is to receive their mantras and sadhanas from an authentic source. The attainable siddhis associated with each of them are also very interesting.

At the moment, I find myself particularly drawn towards Baglamukhi. All the Mahavidyas inspire intense emotions in me. I feel like I'm home and I am safe when I think of Them.

Jai Maa Kali

ajay0

The Guhyatiguyha-tantra associates the Mahavidyas with the ten Avatars of Vishnu, and states that the Mahavidyas are the source from which the Avatars of Vishnu arose.

There may be some association with the Divine Mother and Vishnu in this regard.

Rama Navami, or birthday of Rama, is celebrated as a part of the spring Navratri, and falls on the nineth day.

Peter108

At the moment, I find myself particularly drawn towards Baglamukhi. All the Mahavidyas inspire intense emotions in me. I feel like I'm home and I am safe when I think of Them.

Jai Maa Kali

Same here, however, the one I'm inspired by the most is Tara.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There may be some association with the Divine Mother and Vishnu in this regard.

According to the Bhagavata Purana they are brother and sister. Maa Durga took birth as Nanda's and Yashoda's daughter at the same time Vishnu took birth as Krishna. The babies were switched so that when Kamsa came to kill whom he thought was Devaki's and Vasudeva's child, the baby girl slipped out of Kamsa's hands, showed her true divine form as Goddess Durga and chastised him... literally putting the fear of God(dess) into him. Krishna was already secreted away and safe. Durga is called Narayani because she is the sister/feminine power of Narayana.

Btw, this makes Shiva and Vishnu brothers-in-law. When Vishnu took the female avatar Mohini and Shiva and Mohini got "together" and produced Ayyappa... well, let's just say it's all one big happy family. :D Though I can't quite get my head around Sri Ganesha calling Vishnu and Lakshmi Uncle Vishnu and Aunt Lakshmi. o_O

Last edited:

von bek

@Jainarayan

Are the Mahavidyas worshiped in any Vaishnava traditions? One of the the Mahavidyas is Kamala, She is the "Tantric" Lakshmi just as the Mahavidya Matangi is called the Tantric Saraswati.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
@Jainarayan

Are the Mahavidyas worshiped in any Vaishnava traditions? One of the the Mahavidyas is Kamala, She is the "Tantric" Lakshmi just as the Mahavidya Matangi is called the Tantric Saraswati.

I truly don't know, not being familiar with tantric practices. I suppose there are tantric Vaishnavas. I don't see why there wouldn't be any, though probably not great in number.

von bek

I truly don't know, not being familiar with tantric practices. I suppose there are tantric Vaishnavas. I don't see why there wouldn't be any, though probably not great in number.

Tantric Vaishnavas are real, I've encountered some information on them. I couldn't tell you much about them at this point in time, however. I was curious if you had ever encountered any references to the Mahavidyas within your tradition.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
If we're talking about Mahavidyas may I tell you my favourite? (I mean, they're all my favourite, but I'm drawn to one in particular.)

Dhumavati! The form of Ma as a widow. I don't know why She calls to me in this form but boy is She insistent. Unfortunately Dhumavati Ma gets a bad reputation because she is seen as inauspicious and it is said people go to Her asking for curses upon others. Perhaps She has cursed me with an eye for Her?

von bek

If we're talking about Mahavidyas may I tell you my favourite? (I mean, they're all my favourite, but I'm drawn to one in particular.)

Dhumavati! The form of Ma as a widow. I don't know why She calls to me in this form but boy is She insistent. Unfortunately Dhumavati Ma gets a bad reputation because she is seen as inauspicious and it is said people go to Her asking for curses upon others. Perhaps She has cursed me with an eye for Her?

I am quickly learning that Maa has infinite forms to draw us to Her. Her love and mercy is endless.

Jai Maa Kali
Jai Maa Durga
Jai Maa Baglamukhi
Jai Maa Lakshmi
Jai Maa Saraswati

Peter108

I read that married people are not supposed to do Her sadhana. However, if you feel the call, go for it! :)

von bek

I wanted to share this video of the Mahavidyas.

Jai Maa Kali. My heart's greatest desire is to lie at Your Feet! Jai Mata Di.