• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Love of a Mother and Child.

Bob the Unbeliever

Preface: I put this under "Philosophy" as it seemed most apropos. I wrote this over on FaceBook, and decided I rather liked it, so I'm reposting here. As some of you know, my mother has passed recently, and I say this to put the following in context. (Mods: If there is a more appropriate venue, please feel free to move this elsewhere. Personally, I think Philosophy includes "Love", else what is it good for? :) )

_________

So. I was taking one last walk-through of my dad's old house (we are selling on the 15th). And I took another look in kitchen, and there on a bottom shelf, was ... a Red Plate.

.. and it struck me... that was my Red Plate. That was The One And Only Red Dinner-Plate!

I flashed back to when I was 2 or 3 (no later than 4) and mom would sometimes fix me lunch or breakfast or whatnot, on this very same red plate. It was my favorite plate of all time, when I was shorter than a chair.

*sigh*

As I grew up, mom eventually quit using that plate, as she was able to afford nice dinnerware that matched-- and my sense of OCD reluctantly agreed, matching plates was more pleasing to the eye, than a set of miss-matched, different colored plates we'd been using up until then.

Mom had many better sets of dinnerware over the years, from those very early melamine hard-plastic things, to Corelle, to China to Stoneware, and a host of different styles and function.

But throughout all those varying styles? She had hung on to my Red Plate. That's my Mom-- there was a Story In That Plate, so she kept it, if at the bottom of a stack of better quality plates...

So, yeah, I took it home.

Do you know what's funny? It's not even ceramic-- it's some sort of coated plastic thing, likely cost $1 or less, back-when-- in a *set*.... worthless, really, even as an antique.

But. It Is Absolutely Priceless--- for it reminds me of a mother's endless love, and a child's simple joy and delight just because of the color of a round plastic disc.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Preface: I put this under "Philosophy" as it seemed most apropos. I wrote this over on FaceBook, and decided I rather liked it, so I'm reposting here. As some of you know, my mother has passed recently, and I say this to put the following in context. (Mods: If there is a more appropriate venue, please feel free to move this elsewhere. Personally, I think Philosophy includes "Love", else what is it good for? :) )

_________

So. I was taking one last walk-through of my dad's old house (we are selling on the 15th). And I took another look in kitchen, and there on a bottom shelf, was ... a Red Plate.

.. and it struck me... that was my Red Plate. That was The One And Only Red Dinner-Plate!

I flashed back to when I was 2 or 3 (no later than 4) and mom would sometimes fix me lunch or breakfast or whatnot, on this very same red plate. It was my favorite plate of all time, when I was shorter than a chair.

*sigh*

As I grew up, mom eventually quit using that plate, as she was able to afford nice dinnerware that matched-- and my sense of OCD reluctantly agreed, matching plates was more pleasing to the eye, than a set of miss-matched, different colored plates we'd been using up until then.

Mom had many better sets of dinnerware over the years, from those very early melamine hard-plastic things, to Corelle, to China to Stoneware, and a host of different styles and function.

But throughout all those varying styles? She had hung on to my Red Plate. That's my Mom-- there was a Story In That Plate, so she kept it, if at the bottom of a stack of better quality plates...

So, yeah, I took it home.

Do you know what's funny? It's not even ceramic-- it's some sort of coated plastic thing, likely cost $1 or less, back-when-- in a *set*.... worthless, really, even as an antique.

But. It Is Absolutely Priceless--- for it reminds me of a mother's endless love, and a child's simple joy and delight just because of the color of a round plastic disc.

A treasured memory. Priceless to you.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I have always believed that a mother's love (generally speaking of course) is something primal. A raw savage sense of bonding.
I recently attended a funeral and there was something almost primitive about the poor mourning mother. (I mean primitive in the best possible sense.) It was kind of scary really.