• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Lord's Prayer"

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Does anyone have an in-depth analysis of the meaning of the prayer?

Alternately, what does it mean to you?

Thanks!

Zardoz

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Our Father in the heavens,
The Father is the God of the hebrews, YHWH or (Jehovah in english) He is the God to whom Jesus directed his worship and prayers and so should we.

Let you name be sanctified
The name of God (YHWH) or Jehovah is not sanctified, or held Sacred, among mankind. The nations do not know God by name, they do not recognize him as the Almighty. Jesus showed that the foremost important thing in relation to God Almighty is for all mankind to recognize who he is...for them to know his Great and Holy name and submit to his authority as the supreme one.

Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth
The second most important thing for us to pray for is for Gods will to be done on earth as it is in heaven. People need to know what Gods will is for the earth and they need to live in harmony with his will. Jesus taught, in harmony with the Hebrew scriptures, that Gods will was for the earth to be transformed into a paradise with righteous people living forever upon it. When that will is finally realized, mankind will be very happy, safe, secure and in peace.

Give us this day our bread
thank God for the food he provides, recognize that he is the provide and we are only alive because of him....food sustains life and therefore we cannot live without it just as we cannot live without God.

Forgive us our traspasses as we have forgiven those who trespass against us
We can ask for Gods forgiveness of our own wrongdoings provided we have also forgiven others who may have wronged us. We should not be holding grudges but making peace with all people and in that way, we will be free to make peace with God and he will forgive us our own errors we commit against him.

Deliver us from the Wicked one.
Christians must recognize that the Wicked one or 'satan the devil' is waging a war with us...we need to rely on God for help in overcoming the devils tactics and we should request Gods assistance in this matter.

Last edited:

Philda Tressie

God Supremist
To me the Lord's prayer means Praise,Worship and Petitioning of Almighty God. It also demonstrates recognition of His holiness, as well as our Submission to His authority and power over all Creation. It is Him who we Petition and can Rely on to supply all that is beneficial to us. We admit that we have sinned and ask for His Forgiveness, promising likewise to pard- on those who have wronged us. We Ask Him to equip us to resist the forces of darkness. Finally we ack- nowledge Him as Eternal Sovereign of All Creation. In a nutshell, what being a Christian in this world is about.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Our To be recognizing we are all under God together. The plural for "I" is used "hemon". To me it means I shall not go without you. If you refuse to go I will be set free from you to go with them who are going. It is never a singular pursuit.

Father It also means the One to whom WE head is not a slave owner but a father. A father is he who caused life and nurtures it by love and discipline for our own good.

In Heaven God is a spirit. God has a dwelling place "heaven". It means God is not a concept but is a real person who lives in a real place.

Might Your Name be made Holy (this is where I disagree with Peg somewhat) Jesus said; For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. God's Name is Holy, it cannot be made more holy by any human but the works that we do can and should increase God's reputation among mankind. So from Earth's point of view the accomplished will of God IN US, BY US and THROUGH US will repair HOW people know YHWH not that they know YHWH. According to James (2:19) You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder.... it does not matter much that you acknowledge God.

Let Your will take place as in Heaven, also upon Earth This answers the question "how?" How are we to know God's will to do it? Angels in Heaven have no to do list. We should not either. We are to increase in our love and appreciation for The Lord. Then what we do reflects it. Sometimes assignments come to some people as in Acts 16:9 During the night Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia standing and begging him, "Come over to Macedonia and help us" but I don't believe it is the norm. Believer's assignment is to reflect the love that is holy 1 Peter 1:15 just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do.

The rest of it is self explanatory imo.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The earliest form of the Lords Prayer is found in the Didache... used for some 300 years....

Our Father, the (one) in heaven
Your name be_made holy,
your Kingdom come,
your will be born upon earth as in heaven,
give is to day our loaf (that is) coming,
and forgive us our debt (at the final judgment)
and we likewise (now) forgive our debtors,
and do not lead us into trial (of the last days)
but deliver us from (that) evil
because yours is the power and the glory forever.

(Translated from the greek buy Aaron Milavec)

all these supplications are one time events, as they are framed in the aorist imperative, and will each occur just once.

Last edited:

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Thank you all for the responses. What do you make of the "This, then, is how you should pray" part? In other words, does anyone have a personal derivative of the prayer?

Thanks!
Zardoz

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Thank you all for the responses. What do you make of the "This, then, is how you should pray" part? In other words, does anyone have a personal derivative of the prayer?

Thanks!
Zardoz

it should really be viewed as a guide in what to pray about... its certainly not meant to be literally recited over and over as some do. There was another occasion when Jesus gave instructions about prayer, but in this account he says it a little differently to how he said it in the account in Matthew 6.

Luke 11:1 Now on the occasion of his being in a certain place praying, when he stopped, a certain one of his disciples said to him: “Lord, teach us how to pray, just as John also taught his disciples.”
2 Then he said to them: “Whenever YOU pray, say, ‘Father, let your name be sanctified. Let your kingdom come. 3 Give us our bread for the day according to the day’s requirement. 4 And forgive us our sins, for we ourselves also forgive everyone that is in debt to us; and do not bring us into temptation.’”

these words are slightly different...same subject matter, but different way of saying it. So he wasnt teaching them to 'recite' a set of words. Rather he was teaching them about what is important to pray about.

kjw47

Jesus was teaching his true followers its all about the Father,it all belongs to the Father. because the Father is Jesus' God -John 20:17,,rev 3:12) And Jesus will become his Gods subject just like all other created beings are after he hands back the kingdom-1 cor 15:24-28) And that is why Jesus taught at John 17:1-6--that the one who sent him( John 5:30) is THE ONLY TRUE GOD--verse 6 = YHWH( Jehovah)( Father) so i guess in reality, in light of Jesus' truths--the trinity religions are calling Jesus a liar by teaching a trinity god. Paul even backed Jesus up at 1 cor 8:6) proving that centuries ago by the will of satan the trinity translations were altered to fit council lies.