• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Liberal Calculus of Collateral Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Jensa said:
I didn't live in the era of WWII (thank god), and I don't know what the options were then. I do know that I don't support the killing of civilians, no matter what the cause. It's easy to talk about having to kill civilians and there being no alternative until it's your friends and your family being killed.

It may surprise you to know that professional soldiers do not support the killing of civilians either. If there were a way to avoid killing any civilian, they would take it instantly.

But they do exist to protect their people, which means sometimes you get your hands dirty.

Police have to get their hands dirty too, for essentially the same reason.

If a city has no police, then who protects the innocent in a society?

If a country has no army, what protects the innocent inhabitants from being obliterated by another nation that wants their land?

Until humanity can find an alternate way to protect nations from aggressors, we are stuck with war.

If we don't want war (and I'm with you there), then we have to find that alternate way to solve problems between nations.

Diplomacy is great when it works, but not every nation has leaders who are interested in talking.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Jayhawker Soule said:
Sorry, Booko, but I see no rational connection between my comments and your response.
Nor can I. although I'll admit that I am no expert in the field.

booko said:
Hm. You dislike the loss of innocent life, and quietly thank your lucky stars that you are not Churchill, who had to make the tough calls.

Only that it may be an option for Jensa, or for any private individual.

I don't see how it would've worked for Churchill. He had a responsibility for protecting his fellow countrymen.

I said in an earlier post that my husband was a pacifist. That is not completely accurate. I doubt that during WW2, or if this country were actually being invaded, he would be any more a pacifict than Bertrand Russell was during WW2.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Jensa said:
So to stop evil we should become evil ourselves? That doesn't make sense, becoming what we want to stop.

Do you believe that if someone breaks into your house and starts shooting at you and your family, you have a right to defend yourself, and if the ONLY way you can stop the attacker is to kill him, it would be morally ok to kill the attacker?

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Do you believe that if someone breaks into your house and starts shooting at you and your family, you have a right to defend yourself, and if the ONLY way you can stop the attacker is to kill him, it would be morally ok to kill the attacker?

Now add that the attacker is surrounded by innocent people and you'll kill tens or hundreds to just take out the attacker.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
You know, I think I understand now.

el1.jpg

Two
Three
Four

Booko

Deviled Hen
jamaesi said:
Now add that the attacker is surrounded by innocent people and you'll kill tens or hundreds to just take out the attacker.

That's not relevant to the argument I'm making.

I already said what I thought we needed to do to prevent this sort of stuff from happening in the first place.

When you figure a way for Prez Bush or any other leaders to listen to me on the subject of how we should not be motivated purely by greed for our own nations,but for the betterment of humanity, do let me know.

I haven't quite figured how to get through to all those tin ears out there yet.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
That's not relevant to the argument I'm making.

But it is for the current situation...

I already said what I thought we needed to do to prevent this sort of stuff from happening in the first place.

When you figure a way for Prez Bush or any other leaders to listen to me on the subject of how we should not be motivated purely by greed for our own nations,but for the betterment of humanity, do let me know.

I haven't quite figured how to get through to all those tin ears out there yet.

Vote for people who work to better humanity. Otherwise I wish I knew how to get them to listen. :( Perhaps we need to start acting with or without them.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Jensa, you're not alone. Apparently I'm also a Nazi appeaser because I believe the least amount of life, both civilian and combatant, should be lost, even if it means the conflict lasts longer than just rushing forward.

Who would have guessed I was on the side of the Axis all along! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.