• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Levell family

Mystic-als

Yes. There are only 5 in South Africa. I am one, My father, my sisters and my step mother. I have looked and looked on the net for some sort of geneology for the name. But everything sucks. Nothing can say where the family comes from. It's a pity.

Smoke

Done here.
Rootsweb has 1284 entries for people named Levell, and 174,148 entries for people whose surnames have the same Metaphone code as Levell (names like L'Eveille, La Val, etc.). Of course, many of them are duplicates.

In general, though, it's not a good idea to start by finding another family of the same name and trying to link yours up with it; what you'd need to do would be to trace back, generation by generation, through your grandparents, great-grandparents, and so on, and see where the evidence takes you.

Smoke

Done here.
Mystic-als said:
Easier said than done. All grandparents are dead. Father knows nothing
If your father has no aunts, uncles, or cousins who are living, then first, get copies of your grandparents' death certificates. Death certificates usually list the deceased parents' names. (Of course, they won't if your father was the informant and he didn't know, but it's worth a shot.) Next try to find out when and where they got married; that might take some searching, but the marriage license or marriage certificate might give some clues about how to proceed: their dates and places of birth, or names of their parents. You might get lucky and you might not; you never know till you try.

Pah

Uber all member
MidnightBlue said:
Rootsweb has 1284 entries for people named Levell, and 174,148 entries for people whose surnames have the same Metaphone code as Levell (names like L'Eveille, La Val, etc.). Of course, many of them are duplicates.

In general, though, it's not a good idea to start by finding another family of the same name and trying to link yours up with it; what you'd need to do would be to trace back, generation by generation, through your grandparents, great-grandparents, and so on, and see where the evidence takes you.
Absolutely! I've found that knowing Great great grandparents can get you really going on google searches and match the google finds to whatever data you have. If you know the place of birth or death, the records generally indicate the parents and their residence. Census data will help you "flush out" siblings.

Using the Google search just allowed me to add 14 generations to a line I had documented taking the head of that line to the position of oldest known ancestor (the 11th century). I used the name of one in quotes and the last or first name of the married partner.