• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lesson of Job.

Ellen Brown

That's part but not the whole.. Job was a poster child of a proverbial wise man... but that didn't stop the trials from coming.. God was sovereign in the story.

God has a purpose in suffering that is not always punishing evil.
"He delivers the afflicted by their affliction and opens their ear by adversity."
Jon 36:15

The strange case of Job, poster child of the proverbially wise

The experience of Job is simple. He did nothing wrong, nothing at all. Satan challenged God to give Job over to him to see if he could put him through enough to cause him to doubt God. In the end Job proved to be humanly frail, but God corrects him, Job apologizes and God restores him. I'll never understand why some people try to embellish the story?

I had a time where I lost everything, but I will not compare myself to Job. I did apologize to God for not being able to BE Job for him; that I was far too weak and imperfect to do so. There were 7 years where I felt punished almost every day. Then there are things that happened that I can only construe as blessings and forgiveness from God. One of the things was meeting the Mormons and experiencing the kindness and love of the local people and that far exceeded my understanding. There is lots about the Mormon experience that I do not understand, and may never understand, but I am thankful to God for the mercy he showed me through them. Ameen.

I still know and love some active Mormons, and am thankful for them, so I will not get drawn into a Mormon bashing session.

whirlingmerc

In Job we learn that everything we have is fleeting and there is no security in it, none at all. The idea that every bad thing that happens to us is a penalty for our own failure is a lie, satan's lie.

Too many of us never understand that we are Created for the pleasure of the Creator and at his desire everything can be gone.

Read and study Job carefully as if it is a warning to you personally. Even if satan is allowed to destroy all that we love and have, the Creator can give us what he wishes to at the wave of his hand.

Walk meekly beside our Creator. It is what we were created to do.

I think another point seen in Job is the resurrection. near the center of the book ,a reference to a hope in resurrection

Job 19:24-26
....by an iron stylus on lead, or chiseled in stone forever. But I know that my Redeemer lives, and that at the last He will stand upon the earth. Even after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God.

whirlingmerc

In Job we learn that everything we have is fleeting and there is no security in it, none at all. The idea that every bad thing that happens to us is a penalty for our own failure is a lie, satan's lie.

Too many of us never understand that we are Created for the pleasure of the Creator and at his desire everything can be gone.

Read and study Job carefully as if it is a warning to you personally. Even if satan is allowed to destroy all that we love and have, the Creator can give us what he wishes to at the wave of his hand.

Walk meekly beside our Creator. It is what we were created to do.

Ellen, you may be pleased to know that Job was one of very few people in the Old Testament who gave their daughters an inheritance. The sons didnt even get names but the three daughters where drop dead gorgeous and got names and inheritance with their brothers

My favorite name can be loosely interpreted as 'little makeup box'

the 7 brothers were known by having a family party at their house on their days... Let's call the guys Monday Tuesday Weds.... but really you know the gals scheduled the parties...