• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The LDS Doctrine of the Afterlife

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Part 1 of 3

According to LDS doctrine, immediately after death the spirit leaves the body and goes to the Spirit World to await the resurrection, when it will be reunited with a new, perfected immortal body. The spirit is eternal and continues to be a cognizant entity, even when not inhabiting a physical body.

The Spirit World is not the same place as either Heaven or Hell. It is a sort of an intermediate destination. Heaven (for most) or Hell (for a tiny minority) will come later. The Spirit World is said to be comprised of two parts (states of existence, actually, as opposed to literal places). First, there is Paradise. It is a wonderful place of peace and rest where the righteous (regardless of religion) will reside. Jesus told the repentant thief who hung next to Him on the cross that He would see him in Paradise on that very day, and yet when He appeared to Mary on Easter morning, He told her not to touch Him since He had not yet gone to His Father in Heaven. Clearly then, Heaven and Paradise are not one and the same. Second there is the Spirit Prison. This is where the wicked will remain until they are resurrected. Christ (in spirit form) was said to have visited the spirits in prison during the three day period when His body lay in the tomb. While He was there, He preached His gospel to those who had not had the opportunity to hear it during their lifetimes. Even though two thousand years have passed since Christ’s ministry, millions of other people have lived and died without hearing the good news of His atoning sacrifice. Others have heard the news, but for one reason or another, were just not ready to accept it.

There is no scriptural basis for the common assumption among Christians that either Paradise or the Spirit Prison have since ceased to exist. There is every reason to believe that they continue to exist today as in the past. Besides, in Revelation, we are told that we will stand before God to be judged when Christ returns to Earth to begin His millennial reign. That would make no sense at all if we were already in Heaven and had been since the time of our death – unless, of course, we are to assume that God might want to change His mind after having us around awhile.

Christ will not personally be in Paradise, as He is once again with His Father in Heaven. His presence will be felt, though, by those in Paradise and the work of spreading His gospel will continue among the spirits who are waiting there for the Millennium to begin. The righteous who did not know of His gospel while on earth will have the opportunity to hear it during this period of time – which may be hundreds or thousands of years, depending upon when they died. Those who heard it but did not accept it during their life will have yet another opportunity to do so. Each of us is a product of our culture and environment. We have each had different life experiences. In the Spirit World, many of the factors that influenced our decisions in this life will no longer cloud our vision. We will be able to see things more clearly than we were able to while here on Earth, encumbered by so much baggage. God will make sure all of us have a truly equal chance to recognize and accept the truth we are taught, even if it is not until after we die.

With respect to those in the Spirit Prison (i.e. Ted Bundy, Adolf Hitler, Jeffrey Dahmer, Osama bin Ladan, etc.), their wait will be considerably less pleasant. They will be fully aware of the misery they brought into the world. They will be wracked with guilt over their sins and will be tormented by the knowledge that they lived wicked and depraved lives. For them, the Spirit World will be hell-like. But it will not necessarily be a permanent state. The gospel of Jesus Christ will be taught to them too, spread by believers who are hopeful that they will respond to Christ’s gift of forgiveness. This is something they can still do at that time. God won’t close the door until they have been given every opportunity to repent of their sins and acknowledge that those sins can be forgiven as a result of His Son’s sacrifice. If they choose to sincerely repent, they too can be forgiven. This is not to say that they all will, but they will be given that opportunity. Eventually, “every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is the Christ.” Whether that confession will be accompanied by remorse for one's sins and gratitude for His sacrifice will be the determining factor for what happens next.

Bishka

Veteran Member
If you don't mind Kat, there is a wonderful quote by President Joseph F. Smith:

"The spirits of all men, as soon as they depart from this mortal body, whether they are good or evil, we are told in the Book of Mormon, are taken hom to that God who gave them life, where there is separation, a partial judgement, and the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they expand in wisdom, where they have respite from all their troubles, and where care and sorrow do not annoy.

The wicked, on the contrary, have no part or portion in the Spirit of the Lord, and they are cast into utter darkness, being led captive, because of their own iniquity, by the evil one.

And in this space between death and the resurrection of the body, the two classes of souls remain, in happiness or in misery, until the time which is appointed of God that the dead shall come forth and be reunited both spirit and body, and be brought to stand before God, and be judged according to their works"

(Gospel Doctrine, p. 448)

The scripture that President Joseph Fielding Smith is talking about is located in Alma 40:12.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Part 2 of 3

Eventually, everyone who has ever lived will stand before God to be judged and to be received into Heaven or condemned to Hell. As I’ve said on many, many occasions, we believe that the number of people condemned to Hell will be very few. Essentially, these people will be the ones who would prefer it that way. By far the largest majority of the billions of souls who have populated this earth over time will be welcomed into Heaven. The Latter-day Saints don’t see Heaven as a one-size-fits-all kind of place, though, nor do we believe the early Christians did.

In 2 Corinthians 12:2, we read: “I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.” Here we have a very definite reference to the fact that there is more than one Heaven or that Heaven is made up of more than one part.

In 1 Corinthians 15, Paul discusses the afterlife. In verses 40-42, he alludes to the doctrine of multiple kingdoms within Heaven when he says: “There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead.”

We believe (not just based upon these two scriptures, but upon latter-day revelation) that in addition to Hell there are at least three kingdoms or “Degrees of Glory” in Heaven. Joseph Smith and another early Latter-day Saint by the name of Sidney Rigdon were together when they were given visionary glimpse of what Heaven and Hell will be like. I’ll explain, as best I can, the circumstances that would lead to a person being sent to each of these places.

I’ll start with Hell, or “Outer Darkness.” As I already explained, the Spirit Prison part of the Spirit World will be a form of Hell, but one from which it is possible to be released through repentance and acceptance of the gospel of Jesus Christ. There is also a permanent Hell, but the only individuals who will spend eternity there are those who have committed the unpardonable sin of blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. Neither the Bible nor the uniquely LDS scriptures have a great deal to say about this particular sin, but according to LDS doctrine, the only individuals who could conceivably blaspheme against the Holy Ghost are those to whom God has essentially given absolute proof of His existence. Since we believe that God the Father and Jesus Christ personally appeared to Joseph Smith and spoke to him, Joseph would have been in a position to commit this unforgivable sin. Of course, he didn’t, but because of the knowledge that he was given, he could have done. His situation is almost unique in the history of the world, but there are others – ancient prophets for the most part – who could have denied what they knew with absolute certainty to be true. At any rate, those who commit the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Ghost will be sent to Hell. All others will go to Heaven, to receive at least a portion of God’s glory.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Part 3 of 3

The lowest of the three heavenly kingdoms or degrees of glory is known as the Telestial Kingdom. It is the only one of the three to which Paul does not refer by name. He does, however, compare its glory to the glory of the stars. The Telestial Kingdom will be populated with the unrepentant sinners who, in spite of the fact that they did ultimately acknowledge Jesus to be the Christ, refused to accept His teachings or His atoning sacrifice on their behalf. They were too proud or too rebellious to care to commit themselves to Him in any way, and were willing to accept the consequences for their refusal. They will spend eternity as “servants of the Most High; but where God and Christ dwell they cannot come…” (Doctrine & Covenants 76:112). They will, however, feel the presence of the Holy Spirit throughout eternity and Joseph Smith said that even the glory of the Telestial Kingdom “surpasses all understanding.”

The middle of the three kingdoms is known as the Terrestrial Kingdom. Those who will spend eternity here are the good people of the Earth who lived as righteously as they knew how with the degree of knowledge they had while alive, but who – when given the opportunity to accept the “fulness of the gospel” in the Spirit World – were simply not interested. These were not wicked people, but they had little desire to learn what God wanted them to learn or to search for truth. They were complacent and less committed to their Savior than they might have been. Paul compared the glory of this kingdom to that of the moon. As there is a significant difference between the glory of the stars and the glory of the moon, there will also be a significant difference between a eternity spent in the Telestial Kingdom and one spent in the Terrestrial Kingdom. This kingdom, if I am correct in my understanding, will be presided over by the Lord Jesus Christ.

The highest of the three kingdoms is known as the Celestial Kingdom, the kingdom where the glory is said to be like that of the sun. This glory far, far exceeds the glory of the other two kingdoms. This is the “Kingdom of God.” It is where God the Father is, and where His personal presence will be enjoyed forever. This kingdom is reserved for those who not only have a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ but who fully embrace that gospel and strive to live according to His example, obeying His commandments to the best of their abilities. Included among those who will inherit the Celestial Kingdom will be those who heard and accepted the gospel while in Paradise. Conceivably, some who “served time” in the Spirit Prison could have sufficiently repented to eventually attain the Celestial Kingdom, though it probably isn’t terribly likely that they will do so.

The Celestial Kingdom (and possibly the others – we don’t know for sure) is divided into three more kingdoms. Those who attain the highest degree of glory will receive the “Fulness of Salvation,” also referred to as “Exaltation.” For them, the potential for further progression is limitless. C.S. Lewis (obviously not LDS, but the most frequently quoted non-LDS theologian by our Church leadership) had great insight into what exaltation is all about. Here’s what he said on the subject: “The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were “gods” and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

That’s a basic outline of what we believe about the hereafter. If you have any questions, we’d be happy to answer them.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Very interesting, Katz. :) Thank you very much for taking the time to post this....I'm sure it will be infomative to other people as well.

Couple of questions......

What is the definition of wicked people?

Where did all this detail of the heavens come from? Is Joseph Smith the only human ever to have heard this?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Buttercup said:
Very interesting, Katz. :) Thank you very much for taking the time to post this....I'm sure it will be infomative to other people as well.
You're welcome. Sorry it was so long. I've never been too awfully adept at brevity. :D

Couple of questions......

What is the definition of wicked people?
I'm not sure that there is an official LDS definition of the term that would be all that different from the definition anyone else would use. I think that God knows our hearts. He is probably the only one who could say with any degree of certainty who is wicked and who is not.

Where did all this detail of the heavens come from? Is Joseph Smith the only human ever to have heard this?
It mostly came through revelation to Joseph Smith. But as I mentioned in my 2nd post, another early member of the Church by the name of Sidney Rigdon, was also privilged to have the exact same vision as Joseph did. Other later prophets have also confirmed what he said, but it was through him that we have the amount of detail we do.

By the way, Rhonda, I know how totally nuts this must all seem to you. I appreciate the way you have always been respectful of our beliefs however unbelievable they must strike you. :)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:
You're welcome. Sorry it was so long. I've never been too awfully adept at brevity. :D
Actually, I appreciate the detail. Gives me a clearer view of the whole heaven angle.

I'm not sure that there is an official LDS definition of the term that would be all that different from the definition anyone else would use. I think that God knows our hearts. He is probably the only one who could say with any degree of certainty who is wicked and who is not.
I guess I find this somewhat odd. You would think a very clear definition of what God found wicked would be given so that people could be sure to stay away from it. I know you're referring to a mindset of wickedness really and perhaps God has his own definition. Obviously he sees into someone's heart more clearly than we can.

It mostly came through revelation to Joseph Smith. But as I mentioned in my 2nd post, another early member of the Church by the name of Sidney Rigdon, was also privilged to have the exact same vision as Joseph did. Other later prophets have also confirmed what he said, but it was through him that we have the amount of detail we do.
You know....I didn't even pay attention to poor old Sidney. I've heard his name before but for some reason I walk right past him. :eek:

By the way, Rhonda, I know how totally nuts this must all seem to you. I appreciate the way you have always been respectful of our beliefs however unbelievable they must strike you. :)
Not any more nuts sounding than any other religious belief. :p Plus, I like your set of rules much better.....

Can you tell me what the LDS believe blasphemy of the Holy Ghost/Spirit means?

nutshell

Katzpur said:

didn't another prophet record his vision of heaven in D&C?

PHOTOTAKER

danel in the bible was promised exaltaion but he missed up really bad (murdered a guy for a girl he liked) and will recieve the 2nd degree of Glory in the celestal kindom (thats what i understand in the bible)... dose any one know that all three parts of the celestral kindom is called? i looked but couldn't find out...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Buttercup said:
Can you tell me what the LDS believe blasphemy of the Holy Ghost/Spirit means?
The last paragraph of my first post kind of explains it. It basically means having an absolute and perfect knowledge of the truth -- as given by the Holy Ghost -- and then denying it. If Jesus stood in front of you and said, "I am the Christ; I am your personal Savior," and you felt an indisputable confirmation of the Holy Ghost that this was a fact, the absolute truth and not just your imagination or interpretation -- and then you were to deny this fact, that would be blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
PHOTOTAKER said:
danel in the bible was promised exaltaion but he missed up really bad (murdered a guy for a girl he liked) and will recieve the 2nd degree of Glory in the celestal kindom (thats what i understand in the bible)... dose any one know that all three parts of the celestral kindom is called? i looked but couldn't find out...
Are you referring to King David instead of Daniel?

FFH

Veteran Member
PHOTOTAKER said:
I think you meant to say David not Daniel

And yes, David lost his exaltation in the Celestial kingdom, because he had Uriah killed in battle.

Doctrine and Covenants 132: 39

David's wives and concubines were given unto him of me, by the hand of Nathan, my servant, and others of the prophets who had the keys of this power; and in none of these things did he sin against me save in the case of Uriah and his wife; and, therefore he hath fallen from his exaltation, and received his portion; and he shall not inherit them out of the world, for I gave them unto another, saith the Lord.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I guess I'm somewhat confused then about Joseph Smith and polygamy and what he received in the afterlife. Wouldn't his polygamous marriages nullify any rewards? After all he went against these verses regarding church leaders:

It is generally assumed from the following three references in the New Testament to a deacon (or church leader) being the husband of one wife, that this means that God expects every Christian who marries to follow that example:

1Tim 3:2,3 Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to much wine, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.

1Tim 3:12 A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well.

Titus 1:6 An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient.

FFH

Veteran Member
Buttercup, the Book of Mormon also talks about having one wife, unless God commands otherwise.

Jacob 2: 24-27

24- Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

25- Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a eighteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.

26- Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.

27- Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

Polygamy is only acceptable when the Lord commands his people to raise up seed unto Him.

Jacob 2: 30

For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.

FFH

Veteran Member
Buttercup said:
But, didn't Joseph Smith have more than one wife? Or am I mistaken?
Yes, because the Lord commanded him to. In this thing he did not sin, unlike David who took multiple wives and concubines without the Lord's permission.

Jacob 2: 30

For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things

Edit: Jacob took more than one wife because the Lord approved of it.

Were the twelve tribes of Israel born in sin ?????? No of course not, it was ordained of the Lord......

SoyLeche

meh...
Buttercup said:
But, didn't Joseph Smith have more than one wife? Or am I mistaken?
You must have missed the caveat:

For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
SoyLeche said:
You must have missed the caveat:

So basically, according to Joseph Smith, he has been the only man in the last 2,000 years who God ordained to have more than one wife?

SoyLeche

meh...
Buttercup said:
So basically, according to Joseph Smith, he has been the only man in the last 2,000 years who God ordained to have more than one wife?
Nope - there were quite a few