• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The last post is the WINNER!

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
horse-3449622_640.jpg

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm actually beginning to think that they were just human actors with costumes and makeup. They weren't real aliens at all. It was all a fake.

star-trek.gif
It is something that has plagued science fiction movies and television since the beginning. In some cases it doesn't matter, since the main character is supposed to look human. The robot in Metropolis, for instance. It is difficult to create believable aliens when you only have human actors to work with. In the old days that was coupled with primitive special effects.

In the movie Forbidden Planet, 1956, with Leslie Nielson, Walter Pidgeon and Anne Francis, the solved the problem by never showing a Krell or what they looked like. Only alluding to their non-humanoid appearance in references to their artifacts and by making the monsters invisible mostly. I applaud the fact that the story is about non-humanoid aliens even if we are never shown what they looked like.

There have been some well-done early attempts in all the costumes and poor effects. The Horta in the original Star Trek episode "The Devil in the Dark" was a great success given it was for 60's television. The Blob with Steve McQueen was another good early example in my opinion. Definitely not a humanoid lifeform. War of the Worlds,1953, with Gene Berry and Ann Robinson is another. The Martians, while a little cheesy due to contemporary special effects, were still non-humanoid and very different from humans. A couple of more recent examples are Solaris, 2002, with George Clooney where the non-human alien lifeform is an entire planet. Similarly, the 2015 Australian film Infini with Daniel MacPherson and Luke Hemsworth has an alien that is an entire planetoid.

Perhaps with CGI and AI, we may have better offerings that look much more realistically non-human where they are supposed to be.

Even through the standard human costumed and made up as an alien or the ancient and often hokey special effects, I still enjoy the shows and movies. Especially those well-written and performed. Just a little suspension of disbelief and the fact that the more human characters often are more acceptable from my anthropomorphic bias. After all, the characters are a reflection of human designers and creators.

Hmmm! Seems I really like science fiction.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It is something that has plagued science fiction movies and television since the beginning. In some cases it doesn't matter, since the main character is supposed to look human. The robot in Metropolis, for instance. It is difficult to create believable aliens when you only have human actors to work with. In the old days that was coupled with primitive special effects.

In the movie Forbidden Planet, 1956, with Leslie Nielson, Walter Pidgeon and Anne Francis, the solved the problem by never showing a Krell or what they looked like. Only alluding to their non-humanoid appearance in references to their artifacts and by making the monsters invisible mostly. I applaud the fact that the story is about non-humanoid aliens even if we are never shown what they looked like.

There have been some well-done early attempts in all the costumes and poor effects. The Horta in the original Star Trek episode "The Devil in the Dark" was a great success given it was for 60's television. The Blob with Steve McQueen was another good early example in my opinion. Definitely not a humanoid lifeform. War of the Worlds,1953, with Gene Berry and Ann Robinson is another. The Martians, while a little cheesy due to contemporary special effects, were still non-humanoid and very different from humans. A couple of more recent examples are Solaris, 2002, with George Clooney where the non-human alien lifeform is an entire planet. Similarly, the 2015 Australian film Infini with Daniel MacPherson and Luke Hemsworth has an alien that is an entire planetoid.

Perhaps with CGI and AI, we may have better offerings that look much more realistically non-human where they are supposed to be.

Even through the standard human costumed and made up as an alien or the ancient and often hokey special effects, I still enjoy the shows and movies. Especially those well-written and performed. Just a little suspension of disbelief and the fact that the more human characters often are more acceptable from my anthropomorphic bias. After all, the characters are a reflection of human designers and creators.

Hmmm! Seems I really like science fiction.

I suppose it would largely depend on how life might evolve on other planets, but that's something I wouldn't even hazard to guess. I recall the TNG episode "Home Soil" had an alien life form which was a crystal and saw humans as ugly giant bags of mostly water.

29b73fdd-db25-4ea2-98b3-78e6a1cb255c_text.gif

They've also had gaseous species.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose it would largely depend on how life might evolve on other planets, but that's something I wouldn't even hazard to guess. I recall the TNG episode "Home Soil" had an alien life form which was a crystal and saw humans as ugly giant bags of mostly water.

29b73fdd-db25-4ea2-98b3-78e6a1cb255c_text.gif

They've also had gaseous species.
The knowledge of biology has been something I've had to suspend in order to enjoy the story without harping over what are trivial details.

There could be instances of convergent evolution, but realistically, an entire galaxy of reasonably similarly-shaped and unrelated species isn't very probable.

Yeah, that was another good episode.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
@Dan From Smithville, The life forms in Australia are alien.........case closed.!
I personally think God gave us Australia as training ground for humans that can survive and fight the aliens.

If they can live through all the animals, planets and weather that is constantly trying to kill them, they can stand up to a bunch of skinny gray/green guys with googly eyes and big heads.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I personally think God gave us Australia as training ground for humans that can survive and fight the aliens.

If they can live through all the animals, planets and weather that is constantly trying to kill them, they can stand up to a bunch of skinny gray/green guys with googly eyes and big heads.
I googled Steven Spielberg......they almost left out Close Encounters of the Third Kind...... obviously not written to be frightening. I did enjoy it, though...

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I googled Steven Spielberg......they almost left out Close Encounters of the Third Kind...... obviously not written to be frightening. I did enjoy it, though...
I saw that at a drive in when it first came out. It was a little baffling to me. I was a 11. What I remember most clearly is this line. "They can fly rings around the moon. But we're years ahead of them on the highway. I laughed so hard at that.