• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Lamali Religion

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
OVERVIEW

The Lamali Religion has existed in rural parts of Central South America for centuries, yet it has only recently come to the attention of Western scholars. Partly, the obscurity of the religion is accounted for by the fact that its adherents are almost entirely rural people, many of whom live in remote and nearly inaccesible terrain. Yet, it is now estimated that Lamalism might have as many as one million followers, marking it as a signifcant expression of human religiosity.

ORIGINS

The scholar, Friedrich Kaffelbaum of the Berlin Institute For Religious Inquiry, has idenified three main sources of inspiration for Lamelism. The first source is found in the indigenous religions of Central South America. The second in Christianity. And the third is found in West African religions. Kaffelbaum believes these three influences came together sometime during the early 1600's to create the syncretic religion that is Lamelism. Christianity entered the mix via the European arrival in the region, while the West African influence was carried by the slaves imported by the Europeans.

FUNDAMENTALS OF LAMALISM

Lamalism has been identified by Jacques La Fentain of the Parisian Academy For the Study of Human Religiosity as a salvation driven religion. By "salvation driven", La Fentain appears to be saying that personal salvation is not only a central focus of the religion, but also what largely makes it attractive to its followers. Whatever the case, most Lamalists agree that salvation is brought about by a "bird of heaven" winging the human soul aloft after death. Although most Lamalists would agree on this essential point, there are deep differences between Lamalists over the identity of the "bird of heaven".

One sect of Lamalists believe the bird of heaven is the chucacabra bird, a colorful species native to Central South America. These Lamalists revere the chucacabra and prohibit hunting, killing, or eating it. Yet, another sect of Lamalists dismiss the chucacabra as holy and instead believe the bird of heaven is the dove that descended on Jesus during his baptism by John the Baptist. It should be noted that the Bible nowhere states a dove descended on Jesus during his baptism, yet the Lamalists, in formulating their faith, appear to have been more influenced by European paintings depicting a dove descending on Jesus than they were by the words of Bible itself. This second sect of Lamalists are apt to eat the chucacabra, as they would any other bird, to the outrage of the chucacabra sect. The friction between the two sects has sometimes led to raids and violence.

HOLY DAYS

The chucacabra sect observes April 1st as it's holiest of holy days. During the holiday, chucacabrists typically eat excessive quanitites of roasted doves. The dove sect also observes April 1st as a significant holiday, but chooses to celebrate it by eating massive amounts of grilled chucacabra. It is believed by La Fentain that these culinary preferences originated in an attempt by the sects to spite each other.

robtex

Veteran Member
Oh Wow this is so funny Phil!! I went UU church last sunday and the minister there was just talking about the Lamali religion. Funny thing was that, and I don't know what to compare it to, but in Chucacabra the minsters at my UU church said the doves were boiled as opposed to roasted. Not that that matters much I suppose.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Lamalism has been identified by Jacques La Fentain of the Parisian Academy For the Study of Human Religiosity as a salvation driven religion. By "salvation driven", La Fentain appears to be saying that personal salvation is not only a central focus of the religion, but also what largely makes it attractive to its followers. Whatever the case, most Lamalists agree that salvation is brought about by a "bird of heaven" winging the human soul aloft after death. Although most Lamalists would agree on this essential point, there are deep differences between Lamalists over the identity of the "bird of heaven".

From "Le Matin des Magiciens" (Published hy Hergé)by Jules Gironflé:-

Il faut se demander si vraiment les exploits de Jacques La Fentain se redent d’une amélioration des Fables de La Fontaine (D’ailleurs celles qui ont été disputés pendant des années par les anglophones qui insistent que l’écrivant fameux étais bien même Æsop) ; il sujet d’une remarquable coïncidence entre l’idée d’un oiseau (le chucacabra) qui est le point central de la religion depuis le fait que la colombe a toujours été regardée come « l’oiseau de pais » avec les Chrétiens…………..

Which to summarise, states that La Fentain embelished his ideas from the Fables of La Fontaine (which as you most likely realize is the recognised author of what we English regard as being the Fables we consider to have been written by Æsop).

The similaririty between the ideas of the Dove being the bird of peace, and here, the chucacabra, is particularly relevent in that the bird frequents the southern hemispheres; since this Religion did have one 'branch' in Africa, this does lend some validity to the idea. It is, however, suspicious that the Christian Dove is symbolic, and there is very little known about the chucacabra. (Although, to be fair, Daniken himself quoted having seen drawings of chucacabras in caves in the South Americas).

Certainly, the African branch of this religion is still practiced in remote Central Africa, where it is an honour to present one's guest with a chucacabra (at any time of year) in a gesture which implies that the host wishes salvation upon the guest...........

robtex

Veteran Member
michel said:
(Although, to be fair, Daniken himself quoted having seen drawings of chucacabras in caves in the South Americas).

I know this isn't in the debate forum Michel, but Daniken from what I have learned about him and his research saw drawings of birds. What those birds are is anyone's guess. Do you have any texts or books, info something that might further suggest those drawings were chucacabras. It is so hard to find any written information by the people in those areas on this.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
robtex said:
I know this isn't in the debate forum Michel, but Daniken from what I have learned about him and his research saw drawings of birds. What those birds are is anyone's guess. Do you have any texts or books, info something that might further suggest those drawings were chucacabras. It is so hard to find any written information by the people in those areas on this.

Sadly, no. I came across a book a good few years ago; it was one of the 'Chariot of the Gods' series (in which Daniken looks to prove that Earth was actually visited by men from space)........all I remember was that the drawings of the birds were coloured - as opposed to all the other cave drawings, which were just carved, with no colour; i do remember though, wondering how the colours had managed to remain so vivid after all these thousands of years.

robtex

Veteran Member
michel said:
Sadly, no. I came across a book a good few years ago; it was one of the 'Chariot of the Gods' series (in which Daniken looks to prove that Earth was actually visited by men from space)........

I saw that book in college at the University Library at Texas State University over here when I went to school. I remember browsing through it but, it was so long ago I don't remember much about it. Daniken was trying to prove the earth was visited from men from space? That is pretty wierd stuff.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There is something quite suspicious about Daniken's claim to have found colored chucacabras. My professor of physical anthropology visited those caves before Daniken, and he told us (after Daniken came out with his book) that he himself had found no colored chucacabras at the time of his own visit.

BTW, I've been listening to a local radio program this morning on which a guest minister from this town responded to a caller's question about Lamalism by essentially dismissing the religion as a perversion. Sadly, Colorado Springs is not a hotbed of tolerance and understanding. We could use your UU minister here, Rob.

robtex

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
BTW, I've been listening to a local radio program this morning on which a guest minister from this town responded to a caller's question about Lamalism by essentially dismissing the religion as a perversion. Sadly, Colorado Springs is not a hotbed of tolerance and understanding. We could use your UU minister here, Rob.

I have seen some intolerance by locals to that faith here too. There is a local Lamalism club at the University of Texas in Austin, and last year they had a Lamalism awarness ralley in the quad. A group from some church, I don't remember which, came out to protest the assembly for reasons unspecified by the church.

robtex

Veteran Member
What confuses me is the religion appears to be hundreds of years old. In their book, " Obscure Religions of South America", Frost and Newman assert that the religion is hundreds of years old yet it was only uncovered in apparently the last decade. Any speculation as to why that is?