• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Kindle from Amazon

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

Amazon.com: Kindle 2: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device (Latest Generation): Electronics

Sounds like a good idea ... a bit pricey, though.

Since I read so much, this is VERY attractive.

I'm concerned with a few things:

1) Cost and current features... it seems that in a few years or sooner, there will be much better versions and/or the cost will drop significantly. So, should I wait?

2) I wonder if I can keep a backup copy of the books on my computer like an ipod, and read both on my computer and on the Kindle

3) A related concern - what if I lose the damn thing? Amazon says that it keeps a backup of all the books that you buy, but it's still a worry... I don't want to lose my library because I can't keep up with one devise...

4) Can I read in the dark with this thing? I'd like to read at night without a reading light...

So, does anyone here use a Kindle ---

Smoke

Done here.
1) Cost and current features... it seems that in a few years or sooner, there will be much better versions and/or the cost will drop significantly. So, should I wait?
I always wait, because I'm cheap. John owned a DVD player way before I did; I got one that works better for an eighth of what he paid for his. I'm taking the same approach to the Kindle, but since it's a proprietary technology, the cost may not ever go down that much.

4) Can I read in the dark with this thing? I'd like to read at night without a reading light...
My understanding is that you can't.

So, does anyone here use a Kindle ---
No, but I've been watching and waiting ...

A

angellous_evangellous

Well, the light question is unfortunately answered in a review:

As I read, the light shifted in the room. I know backlighting was important for people, but it seems like it would make the easy-to-read text less easy to read. Instead I attached the light purchased just for the purpose, and it worked beautifully and allowed the Kindle to do it's job as a reader with the goal of displaying pages with the grace and practicality of a print book.