• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Jehovah's Witnesses came for me

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Interesting morning at my house today. The Jehovah's Witnesses came for me and I was drawn in by some of their answers to my normal "testing" questions. Secularism, homophobia, etc. Of course they later contradicted all of it, but it seems their only argument for the Bible's truth over anything else was that it explains the afterlife and all related philosophy. Sadly, I am a really nice person who is not a huge fan of confrontation especially when religious fundamentalists are at your door, so I did not address this. However, is it just me or is this possibly the breaking point for their reasoning? I mean, maybe other groups do not address and afterlife because there is absolutely nothing supporting the idea...

Just sharing some thoughts.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Over the past 12 months I have been visited by only one Jehovah's Witness. Now days I don't ask questions or confront them. As soon as they say "I'm here to spread the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ and am wond..." I stop them right there and simply say, "I'm Not Interested". And they always go away, just like waving away a fly. :D

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

jasonwill2

Interesting morning at my house today. The Jehovah's Witnesses came for me and I was drawn in by some of their answers to my normal "testing" questions. Secularism, homophobia, etc. Of course they later contradicted all of it, but it seems their only argument for the Bible's truth over anything else was that it explains the afterlife and all related philosophy. Sadly, I am a really nice person who is not a huge fan of confrontation especially when religious fundamentalists are at your door, so I did not address this. However, is it just me or is this possibly the breaking point for their reasoning? I mean, maybe other groups do not address and afterlife because there is absolutely nothing supporting the idea...

Just sharing some thoughts.

Too much focus on the enemy distracts us from our paths and goals. Work forward without glancing back as you defeat the ones who tried to destroy you.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Guys, this is the LHP dir. Please pay attention to the subcategory before posting.

I don't see why we would have to care about who comes to our door or not. I think Adramelek's "I'm not interested" is response enough. I know I'm so mischievious I'm not always able to follow this advice myself, but I still think that's enough from anyone - even us. If someone actually starts forcing their religion on you it's a totally different matter, though.

apophenia

I appreciate JWs and Mormons coming to my door. I become scaly and clawed and strange (inside) and incredibly welcoming.:)

Then I let my spontaneous 'standup geurilla ontologist' out of his cage...

Typically I become such a charismatic follower of Christ that it scares the bejeezus out of them. But I don't lie or distort my world view, I just allow what I might call '******** gnosis' to speak in christian terms.:D ( Almost broke a rule...)

When that happens, a deep and incomprehensible compassion systematically does a razor job on their psychic straightjackets.

Something profound happens when I engage them fully authentically, and employ their beloved illusion as my ally, with a sense of unbreakable unity of faith. We share a timeless truth.Then, usually, they get out of there as fast as possible. Although a few have clearly been affected in a very positive way. Some of the young mormons find it a wonderful change of pace.

One time, I was with a young friend at his house, and I just sat back quietly while this happened ... -> My friend, completely innocently and without guile, told them he had no religious beliefs, but he really appreciated this quote from Jesus "You don't have to be a great man, just be a good man".

For about 15 minutes, the Mormon elder tried to remember where the quote was from, but couldn't. He seemed perplexed.:shout

Later, we worked out that the quote was actually from Captain James Kirk. :angel2:

Oh yeah, the funny irony is that I was baptised a mormon when I was 8 years old ( my older sister was going through teenage religion). It was my first experience of ritual magic. Everyone in white, getting fully immersed in a pool of baptismal water,the laying on of hands, very dramatic. I remember that I was just calm and objective and the whole deal was a surreal show. I've never officially recanted to the Bishop, so officially, nearly 50 years later, I'm still a mormon ! :shrug:

One time mormons came to my door and asked if we could pray together. I made a deal for equal time. When they finished their presentation, I had my turn and gave them a real insight into Mahamudra, and Tibetan 'crazy wisdom'.

So just flow with it, and enjoy yourself.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
***Staff Advisory***

Several posts have been deleted from this thread. Please stick to Rule 10 while posting and refrain from posting in a DIR that belongs to a different faith.

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums/Same Faith Debates/"Only Sections"
The DIR subforums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

-For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored blue, non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions, and are not allowed to make any non-question posts.

-For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored green, non-members of that area may make respectful posts that comply with the tenets and spirit of that area. This includes questions, as well as knowledgeable comments.

The Same Faith Debates subforum is specifically for debate between members of the same faith. Members that are not part of a same faith debate thread's selected faith may not post at all in those threads. The Political "Only" subforums are also used specifically for that group and may not be posted in by members that do not correspond to the political position of the subforum. These two forums are colored purple.

jasonwill2

I appreciate JWs and Mormons coming to my door. I become scaly and clawed and strange (inside) and incredibly welcoming.:)

Then I let my spontaneous 'standup geurilla ontologist' out of his cage...

Typically I become such a charismatic follower of Christ that it scares the bejeezus out of them. But I don't lie or distort my world view, I just allow what I might call '******** gnosis' to speak in christian terms.:D ( Almost broke a rule...)

When that happens, a deep and incomprehensible compassion systematically does a razor job on their psychic straightjackets.

Something profound happens when I engage them fully authentically, and employ their beloved illusion as my ally, with a sense of unbreakable unity of faith. We share a timeless truth.Then, usually, they get out of there as fast as possible. Although a few have clearly been affected in a very positive way. Some of the young mormons find it a wonderful change of pace.

One time, I was with a young friend at his house, and I just sat back quietly while this happened ... -> My friend, completely innocently and without guile, told them he had no religious beliefs, but he really appreciated this quote from Jesus "You don't have to be a great man, just be a good man".

For about 15 minutes, the Mormon elder tried to remember where the quote was from, but couldn't. He seemed perplexed.:shout

Later, we worked out that the quote was actually from Captain James Kirk. :angel2:

Oh yeah, the funny irony is that I was baptised a mormon when I was 8 years old ( my older sister was going through teenage religion). It was my first experience of ritual magic. Everyone in white, getting fully immersed in a pool of baptismal water,the laying on of hands, very dramatic. I remember that I was just calm and objective and the whole deal was a surreal show. I've never officially recanted to the Bishop, so officially, nearly 50 years later, I'm still a mormon ! :shrug:

One time mormons came to my door and asked if we could pray together. I made a deal for equal time. When they finished their presentation, I had my turn and gave them a real insight into Mahamudra, and Tibetan 'crazy wisdom'.

So just flow with it, and enjoy yourself.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the very first part of the double edged sword being used against them by putting it in Christian terms... but the rest is epic and hilarious.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
As a theistic Satanist I honestly don't mind talking with them about theism there is really no point in debating them about Jehovah as typically most of them do know their bible I often find it fun to bring up the points of contradiction and why their version of the bible is different from others, etc. Its fun to make issues of this and see what silly defense they have for it -- but, generally JW these days have a script and some verse they must read you and of course the Watchtower.

Though honestly to the average JW it doesn't matter which bible you use as long as you use one as they consider the differences minor. (I don't especially when you change dashing babies on rocks to something completely different because you don't like it.) I evade talking about Leviticus mostly because I could rant about infallibly and that section of the book all day. I still keep a box of _TSB_ near the door for my religious visitors who offer me reading material I give them out for free. (you can find them for about $1 used... if you care to use this technique.. hehe)

I'm currently trapping a local group of JW's that knock on my door at asinine in the morning acting all nice and interested in what they have to say... I let them speak and half ignore their questions acting as dull as a brick... Then when they say do you understand this? I go.. "What?" Eventually they get annoyed of repeating themselves... There isn't really much point of debating them directly on anything since the blind faith that keeps them knocking is the same thing that keeps the believing and any challenge to that concept is a personal insult -- they simply won't listen. These guys started knocking the morning after I returned from a Watain concert.. my whole house smelled like fetid carcasses.. (they throw around real blood at the show.. so yea.. this was mildly entertaining)

I don't hate them, but they have a five year old's view of the world to me which simply ignores everything they don't like. Personally I approach the situation as though the person I am conversing with simply hasn't been informed that there are other choices and that maybe the devil isn't a bad guy. :p You can never change a persons mind with disrespect or aggression as anyone on the defensive is no longer listening to you.

Last edited:

MacKinnon

The thing to remember is they come only to deliver a specific message, they're not interested in what you might have to say about that message, just that it gets delivered. So any attempts to have a discussion on the validity or appropriateness of it are pointless for both parties.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

This is the LHP DIR. If you do not identify as a follower of a Left Hand Path Religion, please restrict you responses to respectful questions.

Several of the posts in this thread will have to be deleted as violations of rule 10. Any subsequent rule 10 violations will be dealt with separately and more severely.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I have no problem with answering your questions in relation to contrasts of left hand paradigms, but biblical talk other than to contrast to a related subject such as Satanism/LHP are not part of this forum. The merits of scriptural notions are severely off-topic here. The warnings of Jesus... yadda are irrelevant as there is good doubt as to whether he existed by many people in this forum. That however shouldn't be mistaken for an excuse to bait anyone here with a biblical diatribe on what amounts to at best dubious facts.

This is not the place for it. Please move along.. Thanks... You aren't asking me questions you are telling me things I probably know more about than you.

Last edited:

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
In general I don't like unknown people coming to my door and unless they have a very good reason for being there (water, electric, etc), I let them know it. Yeah, I know, my answer's not a whole lot of fun. Sometimes I'm not either.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

Several posts in this thread have been deleted due to violating the DIR rules. Responses to the deleted posts have also been deleted.

Please refrain from posting in DIRs that belong to other faiths and keep Rule 10 in mind while posting on the forums:

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums/Same Faith Debates/"Only Sections"
The DIR subforums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

-For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored blue, non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions, and are not allowed to make any non-question posts.

-For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored green, non-members of that area may make respectful posts that comply with the tenets and spirit of that area. This includes questions, as well as knowledgeable comments.

The Same Faith Debates subforum is specifically for debate between members of the same faith. Members that are not part of a same faith debate thread's selected faith may not post at all in those threads. The Political "Only" subforums are also used specifically for that group and may not be posted in by members that do not correspond to the political position of the subforum. These two forums are colored purple.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

JW's don't do holidays AT ALL (including birthdays, national, and Christmas) and can't smoke and only drink in moderation. They're not technically allowed to associate with non-JW's unless they're evangelizing them. Not really much different... I only know this much because one of my neighbors kids use to play with us occasionally (and I stress that OCCASIONALLY) when I grew up. I found it mostly odd that they didn't "do" Halloween since the other holidays are mostly family type affairs I never missed them any other time.

Religions are like politics anyway... You can tell people about your standpoint but all they really want to do is talk about themselves. :)

Last edited by a moderator: