• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Interview with NetDoc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pah

Uber all member
Watch this space. either tonight or really soon we will start an interview with NetDoc.

The first question will be -

Knowing from your posts that you indeed have faith in Christ, what brought you to Christianity? What denomination or Church do you belong to?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I went to the University of Florida in the autumn of 1975 as a Unitarian. At that point, I liked the freedom that I had with the UU, and really had no faith in God or Jesus. In my High School, I had been asked to not attend the Campus Crusade for Christ Bible Studies as my questions and comments were deemed "disruptive". But I loved my UU congregation and helped wherever I could: mowing the lawn, printing and folding the bulletin and of course, fixing anything and everything that broke. I told everyone it was the "Thinking Man's" religion.

Now, you should know that I had spent my Junior High and High School days, becoming a Conscientious Objector and was a frequent protestor against The Vietnam War as well as for civil rights. My mother was great friends with people in the NAACP and the ACLU and held offices in both orginizations and I got to meet quite a few celebrities. A little known fact: I was listed as the chief plaintiff for the ACLU suing the Orange County School Systems for distributing Bibles during school. As much as I believe in the Bible, that just shouldn't have been done that way.

But back to being a Gator. :D Well, as is turned out, a girl I was interested in (Cindy K), started attending Crossroads church of Christ. One of my roommates attended the church of Christ, but had heard all sorts of rumors about Crossroads. It had been labeled a cult by other churches of Christ. She invited me to come to the “Student Supper” just before Sunday Evening Services and thinking this would be like "all the other churches" I agreed to go.

Keith (my roommate) wanted to see this “cult” for himself, so he came with me. We sat behind a black and a white guy (Terry and John). I was impressed with their closeness… they hugged and there was obvious affection between the two of them. I initially thought they were gay, but found out later that the love they had for each other as well as for others in the congregation was far beyond any romantic attraction. John and Terry invited us to come to a “Soul Talk”, which was a small group Bible Study in their dorm room. Since they lived in the same dorm, I agreed. It was led by a skinny guy, named Guy Hanson, and he knew his Bible far better than anyone I had ever met. Within the month, I had bought my first Bible and late one Thursday night after our Soul Talk, we went down to Crossroads where I was baptized. I had wanted to do it in Hume Pond, but there were just too many big gators in there? :D

My mother disowned me when she found out and complained loud and long to the Dean of Admissions. Little did she know that Bro Whitehead was an elder at Crossroads. He looked after me all right! ;)

When I became involved with the "Boston movement" in the late, late 80s, I was disillusioned at the micro management and legalism, and quickly fell away from the church for many years. About four years ago, I finally found another church where "Love" was the byword, and have found my faith again. That was the West Orange church of Christ. BTW, without love a church is only clanging cymbols!

I will try to keep the other answers shorter!

Pah

Uber all member
That's a history that some would say might be difficult to arrive with a strong religious faith (which is abundantly clear from your post) at this stage in your life . Short answers just wouldn't have done it justice. Please don't feel complelled to make any of your answers short - we appreciate the fullness of your thoughts.

The second question has to deal with what beliefs keep you in your relatively new-found church.

Could you tell us what are the major tenents of your faith in Christ?

Scuba Pete

The major tenet of most of the churches of Christ is a return to the scriptures as the ultimate authority for Christians. Most are familiar with the Protestant movement, and even the Reformation movement. While change can be “good”, there were a few who realized that merely changing the churches made by men was not enough: we needed to restore God’s church to it’s original form and glory. You can find a short synopsis of this at the Restoration Movement.

Other than that, most people see the “biggest differences” as evangelism, the need for adult repentance and baptism, autonomous congregations and a’ capella singing (without instruments).

However, I see the biggest tenet as “Love”. Nothing more and nothing less. Love is what attracted me in the first place, and that is what motivates me now. Sometimes it makes me compassionate and gentle, but it can also make me angry and urgent! Of course, on the internet it's really hard to convey that love. I try hard. But being fully human, I fail miserably, and for that I apologize to everyone here on RF.

Pah

Uber all member
I'd like to do a follow-up to that last answer.

The reference you gave was a history of your church and at the end of the article said that
The Churches of Christ have no organizational structure larger than local congregations and no official journals or ways of declaring consensus positions. The churches and preachers are highly entrepreneurial. Consensus views do often emerge through the influence of Christian universities and religious journals

With this in mind, could you tell us your views on God's Word as being inerrant - without error? Is there a consensus to a view of sin? And finally, what is your best loved part of the Bible

Scuba Pete

As far as I can tell, the Bible never claims to be inerrant. Really.

That being said, I only figured this out last October or so. Not one to shy away from controversy, I brought this observation up during a men's Wed night Bible study, and no one could come up with a scripture to the contrary.

Since this is a fairly new revelation for me, I have as of yet figured out all of the spiritual implications of it. I am sure that many Christians view this as heretical, and well that's OK by me. I understand why they feel that way!

However, the Bible does claim to be inspired by God and useful for instruction to make us complete and ready for service to God. Because of this, I study in order to change. My goal is to immitate Jesus through the scriptures. I guess that's why I quote scripture incessantly. I try to apply it to ME first, and then show others what I have found.

A goodly portion of our discussions about the Bible here on RF centers around where it came from and why should we listen to it. I have learned a lot about its origins right here on RF! As a Russian major, and having had to translate extensively for the University of Florida's Department of Chemistry, it amazes me that so many think that translating is a cut and dried affair. Most words can be translated more than one way, especially when the context changes. Add to this that the original language of both the OT and NT are dead languages, and it becomes humanly impossible to get a "perfect" translation. So what?

This is where the Spirit of the Lord steps in and helps us to understand God's will. It is my humble opinion that without the Spirit, there can be no true understanding. It is also my belief that the more we obey the Spirit's directions, the more the Spirit will direct us! So in spite of any mis-translations or errors introduced by man, the Spirit will make it understandable.

I also do not feel the Bible has ever tried to pass itself off as a science book. Its entire purpose is to produce faith, and it has done that in many people including myself. I do not see any passages in the Bible that disallow a belief in Evolution. People claim this out of ignorance or in order to discredit the Scriptures.

Reactions: Pah

Pah

Uber all member
Thank you, NetDoc!

We've had a request from the comment thread to do some "light" stuff. So, if I may deviate from the questions I have prepared, could you tell us of your most thrilling experience in diving. And please, also tell us the "beauty" of diving in a dark cave. The timid membership wants to know.

Scuba Pete

This is the hardest question so far. :D

I have had many, many thrills under water. From whale sharks and manatee, to fossils and even arrowheads and other artifacts.

But nothing compares to watching a student discover my underwater playground. I am reminded of a ScubaDuck dive last year. We only had one student and three other very competent divers. As we descended on our first dive I heard the SD president yelling at me though her regulator. As I turned to look at her, she is gesturing wildly behind me... I turn and see a rather large Bull shark closing the gap. With five sets of eyes now looking on it, this magnificent beast turns on a dime and quickly swims away. I look over to see Sam do her little underwater dance that lets me know that she is quite excited.

Not five minutes pass and I hear Sam again. All eyes follow her fingers to see "Lobzilla": a HUGE Florida Spiney Lobster that would weigh in excess of 15 pounds on the surface. Somehow he knows that he is out of season as he waves his antennae at us mockingly. Catching him would be fun, painful and quite illegal, so we let him be.

Another squeal and Sam has spotted yet another shark. This time a humble nurse shark, but a good sized one. She doesn't want to stick around with her new found fans and speeds off faster than I have ever seen a nurse shark move. Way cool!

Now at the end of our dive, Sam is all excited again... yet another Bull shark. Although it's much smaller and a good bit away, she breaks into her little underwater dance. Who could blame her? Most divers can go years without seeing a shark, and here she found THREE of them and a huge lobster. But being the leader that she is, she gathers all of us together, and brings us up slowly to our safety stop.

On the boat, the kids finagle with the captain to let them dive off of the bridge. I stand watch as they dive into the gorgeous blue waters off of Boynton Beach Florida. In between dives they are bubbling over the sharks they saw. As their surface interval draws to a close, they get a new tank and get ready. Life doesn't get much better than this, ya know?

The second dive is every bit as beautiful, but no sharks this time! :( But not to be "completely boring" one of the other Ducks finds one moray and then another. As they approach the end of their air, we do another safety stop and I watch them board. But I still am on my first tank and have PLENTY of air left. So I wave bye amid several protestations by the Ducks and do a dive on my own. The highlight of that dive was a hole in the reef chock full of bugs (spiney lobster). Of course, not having to worry about the safety of others is a plus and I surface to find the entire boat waiting on me. Opps!

As for cave diving, I am not that experienced yet. Thus far I have passed "Cavern" and "Intro to Cave" but still need to do accomplish both "Apprentice Cave Diver" and "Full Cave Diver" certs before I am considered a "Real" cave diver. So what's the allure? Well, it's really two fold. First, the artifacts and fossils that you get to see in these aquatic caves are mind blowing. I have seen whale vertebrae imbedded in the cieling. A fossil sand dollar that is bigger than a dinner plate. A portion of a marine iguana at the 30 ft mark. The other allure? Having Full Cave Diver credentials says a LOT about you and your commitment to the sport. As the owner of ScubaBoard I need to show such a commitment. :D

As for the wonders of the oceans and fresh waters, I invite you to check out our Photo Gallery on ScubaBoard. Only 16 months old and we have over 17.000 images and many of those are magazine quality! :D BTW, as a forum we turn 5 next month!

Pah

Uber all member
Wow!! I'm glad you're doing that and not me.

With that kind of excitement in your life this question should be easy.

What is the difference Christianity makes in your everyday life. What positive aspects of your living is bolstered by having faith in Christ?

Scuba Pete

My faith keeps me humble. No matter how much I think I know, God has a way of showing me how much I don't know. Unfortunately, many people see humility as being a pushover... a Casper Milktoast as it were. Humility is the ability to rely on someone else and still give it your best shot. Not because of YOU, but because of HIM.

II Timothy 1:12... Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day. NIV

Consequently, I find it easy to serve others. To seek out ways to give back what I have been given so much of. Some people say "give till it hurts", but the Bible teaches me to give till it feels GREAT. Not just money... but time, sweat and sometimes blood.

II Corinthians 9:6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 9 As it is written:
"He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor;
his righteousness endures forever."
NIV

Pah

Uber all member
Thank you, NetDoc.

I have a final question but please feel free to offer any further comment that you would like the membership to know about you.

What are the challanges that you face being a Christian in today's society, on the Religious Forums board? in your family?

Scuba Pete

Pah, this interview has been an honor and tremendously fun even though it was a bit intimidating. :D Trying to make an account in such a forum took quite a bit of effort, and hopefully I was lucid enough to "splain" why I believe what I believe.

The biggest challenges I face are apathy and bigotry.

Apathy is HUGE. Many people just don't care about the direction they are taking or the people they trample on the way. They see their indiscretions as "victimless", but in reality they just don't have a clue how this type of attitude results in pain and suffering on many levels. Of course, I can be apathetic as well, and I despise that in me. It alarms me when I pass a homeless person and find reasons not to help. Or when I give up on a person because I just am tired of spending the time.

Bigotry is the other head of the beast. We will always have an "us vs. them" mentality to some degree. When we use this as an excuse to be mean or even brusque with others it is just wrong. I think this is hard for the "bigot" to see in themselves. Heck, we see ourselves as reasonable people, but those around us can easily see the hate and intolerance. I often wonder in what ways I am a bigot. I surely don't like the concept, but it's the ONLY way to deal with it and kill the beast within.

Pah

Uber all member
I'd like to thank you, NetDoc! The interviewee has to go through introspection and then explain those thoughts. The interviewer only has to ask the question. My job was easy and I can understand that the process might be intimidating.

Some of those questions, I thought, touched on what you have said before in these forums. Though it is often easier to make comment than to make a statement in response to questions, I was hoping you would merely expound on what you've revealed to us before. You did!!

You did fine here. If there is sweat on your brow, wipe it off and take a bow. You deserve our applause.

Thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.