• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Inner Workings of Electronics

Ostronomos

Televisions, smartphones and computers all involve no more than the manipulation of electrons.

The ancestor of today's plasma tv's and LCDs was the Crooke's tube. Named for its inventor William Crooke's.

At one end of the tube was a source of electrons, or cathode. Hence, "cathode ray" was a term used to describe the stream of electrons that were attracted by the electromagnetic force towards the positively charged anode at the other end. This was allowed by creating a vacuum inside the tube. Where the intervening air molecules would become ionized and produce electrons by discharge, which would then follow the path or stream toward the anode, where it would produce higher levels of energy in the atoms of the glass past the anode, so that when it return to normal energy levels it would emit light.

It was only a matter of time before they were using electrical and magnetic fields to steer or manipulate the electrons and thus 'paint' an image on the phosphorescent screen. And so television was born.

Ostronomos

Why is this in 'Philosophy'?
I chose the more popular of the forums because I thought it would get more action there. Also, I should mention that science once fell under the subject of Philosophy before the term "scientist" was coined in the Victorian era. A distinguished title by any stretch.