• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Immortal City

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
“Jacob left Beer Sheba and headed toward Haran… he approached the place and spent the night there because the sun had set… Jacob got up early in the morning and took the stone that he had placed at his head. He erected it as a monument, and poured oil on its top… He named the place Beth El (House of G-d). The city’s original name, however, had been Luz.” (Vayetze 28:10, 11, 18, 19)

This place where Jacob spent the night was located in the Holy Land. Another city was later built outside the Holy Land and was also named Luz. This city was built sometime after the forty years that the Jews spent in the desert; built by one of the citizens of the original place called Luz. The city was granted a special blessing from G-d that no enemies could enter it; several nations over the millennia have tried, unsuccessfully. Even the Angel of Death himself cannot enter this city, enabling the residence of Luz to live forever. However, everyone has a limited time period that they can live for, and the citizens of Luz are no different. Therefore, once someone’s time comes to an end, as long as they remain inside the city they are safe; but if they leave, the Angel of Death immediately takes his soul. We do learn that when people got very old and grew tired of living, they would simply step outside the city…

Does anyone know any stories about similar such places?

Found It! I knew it sounded familiar... it's the proper placement location for the dalet/daleth-knot on the tefillin shel-rosh (head phylactary) in minchag chabad ( the customs of Chabad Chassidus )

Screenshot_20231011_141121.jpg

When I read this post many months ago, I thought it was just a coincidence. Then, in my daily learning today, I stumbled on the mystery, is it bottom or top, or maybe both simultaneously? Anyhow, if one reads the wiki-article it makes sense that there is a "mysterious immortal city" named "luz" in Jewish myth and legend. "Makes sense" of course is highly subjective when considering Jewish myth and legend.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Note: I'm having trouble finding the Zohar reference in the wiki-article. The mystery continues, but I'm on the hunt.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
OK, confirmed: The word "לוז" to the best of my searching capability does not exist in the entire Zohar.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Here is the reference to the bone which is part of the legend which is attatched to Iyov (Job) 10:9:

Zohar, Pinchas 29:161

Then, here is the reference to the bone shaped כְּרִישָׁא דְחִוְיָא:

https://www.sefaria.org/Zohar,_Toldot.6.50?lang=bi&with=all&lang2=en

I think these are two totally different bones, and neither of them are named Luz.

But the Arizal makes the claim, and it appears that this is a signficiant distinction / innovation that is being brought.

https://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/80878/what-is-the-luz-bone

Last edited: