• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The healing power of darkness?

agorman

Premium Member
I'm pagan nowadays, sort of Wiccan, but recognizing the dark aspects of the Goddess and God that take care of this world and skeptical about the Rule of Three.

And I still wonder why thinking about Satan, the goat god (the dark aspect of the God?), makes my hands hot with healing energy. Something similar happens with Santa Muerte. No god so far has given me more power to heal than the goat god.

But isn't darkness really more about death and destruction than about healing? About yin energy or inactivity?

I got a thought; a concept about this, as an answer. I think it came from the Goddess but I'm not sure. It's just my UPG, but I think it may have sense. It is: "Healing is sometimes a dirty job that luminous entities aren't willing to do.". I'm not saying light gods aren't able to heal, I'm just wondering about the higher efficacy I noticed in the dark ones.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Yin passivity doesn't mean inactivity. (In that regard it is relatively constant.) ;)

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Personally I don't associate darkness with death and destruction, more silence and solitude. The destructive aspect seems like a misunderstanding and/or intentional smear campaign by light-oriented religions (looking at you, Zoroastrianism). Sitting in the dark after a long hectic day can be very soothing, so to me it only makes sense for someone to find healing energy with darker entities.

Liu

There is certainly a lot of healing power to be found in dark deities.

Blasphemy and taboo-breaking is cathartic.

A main goal of the LHP is self-work, which includes self-healing.

And a lot of healing works best in the solitude of darkness.

Also, a lot of people come to Satanism due to bad experiences with other religions since it helps them mend their psychological wounds and gives them strength.

Furthermore, deities, at least in polytheism, tend to be characterized by what domains they govern, including (from human perspective) positive and negative aspects of those domains. Like Hermes is the god of both merchants and thieves.
So if we have a deity of destruction, sickness, darkness, rebellion and blasphemy, then that same deity by that domain-logic also is about the beneficial aspects of these things and additionally also has the power to free people from these things.

agorman

Premium Member
This reminds me Shiva is a destruction god, although he's also one of the most healing ones. And he also uses a trident :).

Liu

This reminds me Shiva is a destruction god, although he's also one of the most healing ones. And he also uses a trident :).
He is a favorite deity of many LHPers I think, and a quite special case in that he is still a main deity in his religion and not an anti-god as so many other of the dark deities, which might be why his healing aspects are also recognized by the mainstream.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
If you don't explore your dark, unconscious, repressed areas of your mind, and address them, how do you expect to heal? Repressed content can fester and create poisons if you don't clean out the wounds.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
But isn't darkness really more about death and destruction than about healing? About yin energy or inactivity?
I wouldn't associate Darkness with anything negative. Darkness is simply what it is, the unseen, the unveiled, the mystery of Leviathan and Chaos of Tiamat. Darkness in this Light is the definition of the Occult.

Liu

I wouldn't associate Darkness with anything negative. Darkness is simply what it is, the unseen, the unveiled, the mystery of Leviathan and Chaos of Tiamat. Darkness in this Light is the definition of the Occult.
Sure from our LHP-perspective. But both Leviathan and Tiamat were seen as quite negative in their respective mythologies (albeit Tiamat originally not as far as I know). It is quite common for humans to demonize the unseen/unknown.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Sure from our LHP-perspective. But both Leviathan and Tiamat were seen as quite negative in their respective mythologies (albeit Tiamat originally not as far as I know). It is quite common for humans to demonize the unseen/unknown.
Positive and negative (good/evil) are subjective, they really don't exist outside of one's perspective. Sumerian/Assyrian deities, like most early deities, were both beneficial and detrimental to mankind. The great Pazuzu is an excellent example of this dichotomy.

Fear of the unknown is certainly a human trait.