• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Good Deed Thread!

groovydancer88

Oh, and I read in a magazine somewhere that if you go to the post office around Christmas time, they keep all the letters that children send to santa. So if you have the time, stop by and pick up a few, and send a child a present! (I think it would be a good idea to send the parents a quick explanatory letter... maybe a few days earlier than the present just so they know.) I was going to throw a party where I gave each person a letter along with an invite, and then we could all wrap them and make cards for them at the party... but for some reason my parents were opposed to that. Eh. Maybe I'll plan that party with a friend and we can host it at their house.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I am a regular blood donor...every pint you donate can save three lives.

Also I am an organ donor. You must be aware though that putting it on your driver's license does not always work. In the end it is your family that will decide if your organs are donated and what ones are donated. If you die in a way other than a car accident then the fact you have it on your license doesn't usually get brought up. If you want to be an organ donor you can register forr free online with your state's donor registry and even determine what particular organs and tissues you wish to donate as well as notate if you would like to donate for transplant, research, or both. Just a heads up.

Also, you can usually sign up at local schools to be a free tutor in a strong subject for you.

Big Brothers/Big Sisters

Offer friends of yours to babysit for their children and give them a little money to go out just the two of them. Who knows? You might just save a relationship.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Draka said:
I am a regular blood donor...every pint you donate can save three lives.

Also I am an organ donor. You must be aware though that putting it on your driver's license does not always work. In the end it is your family that will decide if your organs are donated and what ones are donated. If you die in a way other than a car accident then the fact you have it on your license doesn't usually get brought up. If you want to be an organ donor you can register forr free online with your state's donor registry and even determine what particular organs and tissues you wish to donate as well as notate if you would like to donate for transplant, research, or both. Just a heads up.

Also, you can usually sign up at local schools to be a free tutor in a strong subject for you.

Big Brothers/Big Sisters

Offer friends of yours to babysit for their children and give them a little money to go out just the two of them. Who knows? You might just save a relationship.
I'm not sure about other states, but here in Ohio when you put donor on youre driver's license they automatically put you on your state's registry. It is definately a good idea to talk it over with your family, as well as making out a thorough will.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
I was going to start a Random Acts of Kindness Thread, but I found this one and decided to bring it back to life instead. I have a habit of leaving notes on peoples cars anonymously. Good notes, things to make someone's day, or give them something to reflect on.

"In the Final Analysis" by Mother Teresa

People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered...
forgive them anyway

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives...
be kind anyway

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies...
succeed anyway

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you...
be honest and frank anyway

What you may spend years building, someone may destroy overnight...
build anyway

If you find serenity and happiness, people may be jealous...
be happy anyway

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow...
do good anyway

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough...
give the world the best you have anyway

You see, in the final analysis, it's all between you and God...
it was never between you and them anyway

Buttercup

Veteran Member
That is a great passage ES. Wish I had frubals to give. I O U! :D

I don't really like to list the things I do for others....makes the acts feel not as clean to me. But I don't mean any disrespect to you of course. I just prefer to endorse or promote certain organizations! :)

I will say that I try to help others with my time, money and love. And I enjoy it immensely!

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I forgot about this thread! Great idea!

I came up with a good deed this morning in this thread and I want to encourage others who feel comfortable doing so, to do the same:

I'm going to start checking the Westboro Baptist website regularly and if they have a planned protest in my area, be it funeral for a soldier or protesting a wedding, anything - I will be there to stand vigil for the families and act as a barrier to these people's hate and I bet I can get some people from my church to join me. Because no family celebrating a wedding or mourning a the death of a loved one should have to be subjected to those hatemongers.

evearael

Heifer is a wonderful charity:
http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.183217/?msource=kw52

I also like Environmental Defense:
http://www.environmentaldefense.org/home.cfm

Give thought to everything that enters and leaves your home. Consider the source of the goods and services that you purchase, and whether they are exploitive of people or the earth. Consider whether they are wants or needs. Consider second hand sources for your needs like the thift store, e-bay or Richmond Freecycle. Before tossing anything, consider if it can be reused. If so, give it to charity. If not, see if it can be recycled or composted.

Don't neglect your children or your spouse while you're off trying to save the world... involve them. The home is sacred as are your relationships with your beloved and children; charity work as a family can draw you closer and will certainly impact your child's decisions later in life.

Remember your neighbors. Get to know them, if they are open to the idea. Bring them food if they have loved ones in the hospital and offer to help around the house. Visit the ill. Offer to babysit for a new mommy and daddy so they can nap.

Donate money to charities in honor of friends and family rather than giving them a gift (or as many gifts).

Lobby for positive change in the world. Even if you don't have a lot of money, you can offer your time and a letter.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I love this thread! :flower:

I'm an organ donor. I'm so happy that I'm agreeing to help save the lives of others if I am to leave this Earth before old age. Please consider to be an organ donor yourself - you really don't need your organs after you pass on. :D

Volunteering for the Special Olympics is another idea someone else suggested. We have a special needs child, so this organization is close to our hearts.

Another suggestion I saw on one of those "Things to do......" posters is to buy lemonade from children at a lemonade stand, and give them a couple of dollars for it even though they're selling it for $ .10 or $ .25 a cup.

Volunteer at an animal rescue shelter.

One of my personal favorites is to randomly but genuinely compliment others. Oftentimes, I tell other women, "I love your nails" or "I love your hair, it's gorgeous!" Sometimes, just a smile and a friendly "hello" is good enough, but I love seeing others feel like their day turned around for the better because they were reminded of their uniqueness, beauty, or other distinguishing characteristics.

Peace,
Mystic

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Buttercup said:
That is a great passage ES. Wish I had frubals to give. I O U! ...
I had some in my bag of tricks, so I Fruballed her. :)

I like this thread since I'm a fan of good deeds. In addition to the wonderful suggestions, I'd like to add a few little things we can all do everyday:
  • After you finish your Big Mac, pick up trash someone left on the next table.
  • When you enter a buildling, hold the door for the person behind you.
  • If you ride mass transit, let someone getting on the bus or train have your seat.
  • Carry an extra pen and offer it to the cashier when she can't find one.
  • If you're in a line of traffic, let someone go in front of you.
Now, that last one is really tough for me because my tendency is to drive fast and aggressively.:fight: I have found that working hard to reign in my aggressiveness makes me a safer and calmer driver. No comment on the speed thing though.:D

I know life is fast paced and everyone is in a hurry, but I have also discovered that taking moments during the day to slow down a bit and show a little courtesy to other people sets me at peace and doesn't make me get home that much later.:)

Booko

Deviled Hen
CaptainXeroid said:
  • If you're in a line of traffic, let someone go in front of you.
Now, that last one is really tough for me because my tendency is to drive fast and aggressively.:fight: I have found that working hard to reign in my aggressiveness makes me a safer and calmer driver. No comment on the speed thing though.:D

I know life is fast paced and everyone is in a hurry, but I have also discovered that taking moments during the day to slow down a bit and show a little courtesy to other people sets me at peace and doesn't make me get home that much later.:)

Hm, maybe we should start a Traffic thread. :)

When I find I'm getting impatient in traffic or speeding, I ask myself:

"What was I going to do with that extra 10 seconds of my life?"

I also find that there is such a thing as traffic karma. The more I let people in, the easier a time I have of it when I have to get into heavy traffic.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
My neighbor across the street has a privacy fence that goes around the whole block. The back side of that block seems to collect a lot of garbage, some from litering, some from sloppy trash men. Well, I had the kids take a trash bag and go clean all around the neighbors fence. (It was punishment for my kids and a good deed at the same time). Well, this morning, my neighbor brought me a bouquet of gardenias off of her bush, and a very warm thank. I never expected the neighbor to know who, or when, or why the trash was picked up. My house smells so good today with those flowers on the table. :D

Buttercup

Veteran Member
EnhancedSpirit said:
My neighbor across the street has a privacy fence that goes around the whole block. The back side of that block seems to collect a lot of garbage, some from litering, some from sloppy trash men. Well, I had the kids take a trash bag and go clean all around the neighbors fence. (It was punishment for my kids and a good deed at the same time). Well, this morning, my neighbor brought me a bouquet of gardenias off of her bush, and a very warm thank. I never expected the neighbor to know who, or when, or why the trash was picked up. My house smells so good today with those flowers on the table. :D

Ohhhh, how nice! I love gardenias! Lucky you! and a good lesson to teach your kids.

You know what? I firmly believe in "what goes around comes around".....in other words, a form of karma I guess. And it's so important to teach kids things like that good deed you performed...... :)