• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The God Of Horns!

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Is there any distinction that can be made between Ba'al Hadad, The Horned God (Wicca), Cernunnos, and Satan?

Of course there is, it's not hard to spot many differences in each of these deities; and the Wiccan horned god, if I remember correctly, is sometimes pulled as the same entity as Cernunnos as it doesn't specify much about the horned God.

Ba'al Hadad is the God of fertility and rain, pretty much the central God of the Canaanites, but Yahweh (the war God of the Canaanites) became Israel's national deity, and when the monotheistic focus around Yahweh surfaced Ba'al worship was pretty much frowned upon, the Bible speaks of the destruction of Ba'al Hadad worshipers.

Next you have Cernunnos, a very popular Pagan deity with horns, often depicted as the Wiccan horned God. So many times has Paganism been frowned upon due to the nature of this horned God, possibly because the worship surrounding this horned God developed the nature of the Christian devil, and when reverted later on in history, the worship of the horned God is viewed as the worship of the devil.

And what about Satan? There's many variations of Satan, often times it does not actually include the Christian devil. But even still, would you say the nature of Satan takes influence from any of these deities?

And, if you will, could you summarize the nature of Satan for me, and also why the title of Satan is place upon it? It'd be much appreciated.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Satan was pictured as a horned figure because the Christians were making the old horned deities like Pan out to be something "evil". They did this because horned deities are generally wild, untamable and very sexual. The Christians found that frightening so they made it out to be "evil".

I don't see Satan as a horned deity, necessarily. But such imagery can be helpful. I do love horned deities such as Pan. Apparently horns were symbols of power and wisdom. So I won't deny the influence it's had on conceptions of Satan. Lilith is often pictured as horned, as well.

Really, the use of the goat and ram symbolism in Satanism is due to the nature of those animals being wild and rather anarchistic in their behavior. They are also very sexual, "earthy" animals. They're vigorous fertility symbols. Then there's also the association with the Baphomet, which is a symbol of perfect balance. The horns and the beard are symbols of wisdom and power, as I said.

The Sum of Awe

Pan is another popular one, can't believe I forgot about him! Do you find Pan to be an influence of Satan?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Pan is another popular one, can't believe I forgot about him! Do you find Pan to be an influence of Satan?

Most definitely! Ever noticed that the popular idea of Demons usually looks like a Satyr? That's why.

Cern doesn't have much to do with it, imo. Not that much is known about that deity and Cern has stag antlers, not goat or ram's horns. I've never seen Satan depicted as having antlers.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
As for the nature of Satan, imo, He is a spiritual Being or Force that challenges us to break barriers, question and to raise us up to our highest potential. I agree with the Setians in that this Being is responsible for the formation of humanity's intellect and higher consciousness. He's made Himself a part of us in a way. I don't just use the imagery of Set, because I'm not very drawn towards Egyptian imagery, but I respect it. (I do have a Set pendant and a shirt with Him on it, though.)

Satan is a God of liberation and freedom. He is a God of creativity (Satan and the Demons are often associated with art as Muses). I accept Satan as one of His titles because He an Adversary to tyranny of any sort. He's basically the original anarchist. I see Him as being opposed to belief systems, whether religious, political or otherwise, that hold humans back from our true potential. He is not a fan of ridiculous rules, shame and guilt. Instead of looking to others to "save" us, I think He would want us to be our own "saviors", redeemers and heroes.

Honestly, I feel that Satan is the modern Western form of Prometheus. I think He's been around for a long time and has had many different guises.

The Sum of Awe

Prometheus has a large influence in my philosophy, I put a lot of focus on him, and so I am fond of your idea of Satan.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Prometheus has a large influence in my philosophy, I put a lot of focus on him, and so I am fond of your idea of Satan.

Cool. My concept of Satan is influenced by things like Paradise Lost and Romantic art. Satan has definitely been conflated with Prometheus in our culture and that's part of what led to Him being seen as a much more sympathetic figure - the tragic hero.

Lucifer and Prometheus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also, that statue in my sig as Promethean influences: Le génie du mal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am influenced by Christian myth to an extent, in that I view the Bible from a Satanic perspective of "God" being greatly unfair and us only getting one side of the Christian tale. Sympathy for the Devil and all.