• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The genius of Dyslexia or the Autistic Savant ~ Which is greater?

Cooky

Veteran Member
My understanding is that both Leonardo Da Vinci and Albert Einstrin were both dyslexic.

But we see astounding abilities in "savants" of the autistic spectrum, with geniuses such as Sir Issac Newton, and today's Daniel Tammet.

So whose powers are potentially greater? The dyslexic or the autistic savant?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My understanding is that both Leonardo Da Vinci and Albert Einstrin were both dyslexic.

But we see astounding abilities in "savants" of the autistic spectrum, with geniuses such as Sir Issac Newton, and today's Daniel Tammet.

The underlined part is brilliant.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

First, it is a major no to diagnose historic people. (Some will say skme of thise had Asperger's. It is impossible to diagnose them)
Second, autistic and dyslexic geniuses aren't that common. And remember, even those that are, they have a major disadvantage from their disabilities.
Third, romanticizing illness--and thus people suffering--really sucks. I've heard a bunch of people go on about how they are envious of Aspies because of our intelligence. They don't ever seem to realize that the ones who do possess a higher intelligence are prone to struggling in life because they have Aspergers amd likely have poor communication skills, poor self advocacy, impaired empathy, and other features that make Aspies a group that is high for underemployment, unemployment, homelessness, and suicide.
That is what you are calling a power. You take our sufferimg, our struggles, our challenges and turn it into a compitition of who is "greater." That is what lies beneath the obsessive hyperfocus of people's romanticizing illness.

amorphous_constellation

And remember, even those that are, they have a major disadvantage from their disabilities.
Third, romanticizing illness--and thus people suffering--really sucks. I've heard a bunch of people go on about how they are envious of Aspies because of our intelligence. They don't ever seem to realize that the ones who do possess a higher intelligence are prone to struggling in life because they have Aspergers amd likely have poor communication skills, poor self advocacy, impaired empathy, and other features that make Aspies a group that is high for underemployment, unemployment, homelessness, and suicide.

Hm.. another major problem is, that I think that a major subsection of the populace doesn't even believe these things are real. I don't know if that's better or worse than romanticizing it. Possibly a little worse, as they face a lack of training or recognition, two things that seem to be required