• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Future of Federal Oversight Panels in the USA

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Your premise is that, unless people belong to a minority group, they will hold a bias. That's just not true. I think racial bias has to do with an inflated ego, a need to feel superior. a human problem not a white problem.

Another factor is that the minorities grouped together are 40% of the population and rising. So, there's not much concern of white dominance on the panel of 33..
That isn't my premise. Historically populations are biased. There is also a possibility that your 33 will not well reflect the population.

Another factor is that the minorities grouped together are 40% of the population and rising. So, there's not much concern of white dominance on the panel of 33..
You could still have some incompetent people in your 33. Perhaps select 38 and have them on a reality TV show until 5 are eliminated. No, don't do that. :D

As I pointed out in the OP, the essential problem is that if you give bullies power, they will abuse it. If our solution involves more amateurs in doing police work, I think that will only make the oversight more difficult with more bullies to weed out.
Consider giving more power and involvement to juries. Currently juries barely do anything and their pay is more of a punishment than a benefit.

joe1776

That isn't my premise. Historically populations are biased. There is also a possibility that your 33 will not well reflect the population.
There is no system that will eliminate a negative possibility. The best will make a negative far more unlikely.

You could still have some incompetent people in your 33. Perhaps select 38 and have them on a reality TV show until 5 are eliminated. No, don't do that. :D
An efficient government decision-making system will satisfy these four criteria:

1. It will maximize the intelligence of the decision-makers;
2. It will maximize the training and experience of the decision-makers;
3. It will maximize the trust of the citizenry;
4. It will minimize the chances of a bias that sends the decision off course.

The system of choosing decision-makers, including a leader, by holding democratic elections satisfies none of the criteria. In contrast, the online leaderless expert panel model, with an assist from modern communications technology, can satisfy all four criteria.

Consider giving more power and involvement to juries. Currently juries barely do anything and their pay is more of a punishment than a benefit.
Currently juries in the US are selected from some group like the DMV records which all but guarantees a group of average intelligence with no expertise in making the kind of decisions asked of them.

If I was falsely charged with murder, I'd want a jury highly likely to make the correct decision... "not guilty."

The last thing I would want is an amateur jury of my peers.

Last edited: