• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The first time in bible that the wrath of God is mentioned

Intojoy

You shall not mistreat any widow or fatherless child. If you do mistreat them, and they cry out to me, I will surely hear their cry, and my wrath will burn, and I will kill you with the sword, and your wives shall become widows and your children fatherless. (‭Exodus‬ ‭22‬:‭22-24‬ ESV)

Intojoy

You would think that in the story of God (the bible), that wrath could have been mentioned many times before this. Such as Cain, the flood etc.

It's interesting that this is the first time that the wrath of God is referred to, the fatherless and widows.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Would be I interesting to see differences in translations.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You shall not mistreat any widow or fatherless child. If you do mistreat them, and they cry out to me, I will surely hear their cry, and my wrath will burn, and I will kill you with the sword, and your wives shall become widows and your children fatherless. (‭Exodus‬ ‭22‬:‭22-24‬ ESV)

There was a lot of wrath before Exodus. The thing I want to know, how is this book inspirational if it not only shares god's love, but balances it with his killing and telling groups of people to kill people. No love is greater than to save a life not kill it.

Intojoy

The story of exodus is a continuation of the Abrahamic Covenant. The point I'm making is the nature of God in that which brought out His warning.

I too think that those who exploit the fatherless and widows are evil.

Many without Christ in our world are guilty of this crime.

I read and see instances of child sex trafficking in countries where Buddhism and Hinduism are the religions of the people. Black slavery was only abolished in Saudi Arabia in 1961, a Muslim country.

The nature of the God of Israel is clearly presented here in one of the 613 provisions of the Law of Moses.

Intojoy

Are you seriously trying to argue that Christians are less likely to be abusive? Really?
Eat a happy meal
9aaf3bd4a03487464993b3d24dd8fe74.jpg

Gambit

There are several examples of divine retribution prior to Exodus 22:

Genesis 3:14-24 Curse upon Adam and Eve and their expulsion from the Garden of Eden
Genesis 4:9-15 Curse upon Cain after his slaying of his brother, Abel
Genesis 6-7 The destruction of the Great Flood
Genesis 11:1-9 The confusion of languages at the Tower of Babel
Genesis 19:23-29 Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah
Genesis 38:6-10 Destruction of Er and Onan
Exodus 7-14 Plagues of Egypt
Exodus 19:10-25 Divine threatenings at Mount Sinai

- Wikipedia: Divine retribution

prometheus11

Doesn't that punishment seem too drastic? Of course he gave laws for the proper way to own other people, too.

Intojoy

There are several examples of divine retribution prior to Exodus 22:

Genesis 3:14-24 Curse upon Adam and Eve and their expulsion from the Garden of Eden
Genesis 4:9-15 Curse upon Cain after his slaying of his brother, Abel
Genesis 6-7 The destruction of the Great Flood
Genesis 11:1-9 The confusion of languages at the Tower of Babel
Genesis 19:23-29 Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah
Genesis 38:6-10 Destruction of Er and Onan
Exodus 7-14 Plagues of Egypt
Exodus 19:10-25 Divine threatenings at Mount Sinai

- Wikipedia: Divine retribution

Yea, one would think that the "wrath of God" could have been mentioned earlier for sure. But it's not.

Sodom and Gammorah were destroyed for example. But the first mention of God's anger was in that passage.

That shows what's important to Him.

We think good people are better than bad people. God thinks humble people are better than prideful people. And we think we should take bad people and turn them into good people. But the God of Israel is desirous of taking prideful people and turning them into humble individuals.

The story of the bible isn't advice its news.

The term gospel used in the first century didn't have any religious connotation at all whatsoever. But in our day the only meaning of the term gospel has to do with religion.

Gospel used in the first century was a military term. It was used of a soldier sent ahead of the army to proclaim news to the citizens behind their city walls, to shout "evangellion " the enemy has been vanquished and they need not fear any more, they have been delivered from danger.

The message of the of the bible is that our world is operating in a state of total depravity under the organized structure of the Evil One. And that Jehovah allowed the creation to continue because He loves the world, because He would make atonement for the sin of man by Himself apart from any works at all, a free pass. But forgiveness thru Yeshua (Jesus) is not amnesty nor is it just a pardon, because the debt had to be paid, my salvation is not because God was big hearted enough to forgive my sins, I was bought by the blood of the Jewish Messiah!

Last edited:

Intojoy

Doesn't that punishment seem too drastic? Of course he gave laws for the proper way to own other people, too.

I guess so maybe. I don't know really.
Because when I read about a man raping an infant I think I would sledge hammer his skull too.

I think that scripture shows the long suffering of God before the judgements come.

prometheus11

I guess so maybe. I don't know really.
Because when I read about a man raping an infant I think I would sledge hammer his skull too.

I think that scripture shows the long suffering of God before the judgements come.

I disagree. I think it just shows reactionary rage like most of the bible shows God to be.

outhouse

Atheistically
The message of the of the bible is that our world is operating in a state of total depravity under the organized structure of the Evil One

That may be a small part of the NT text but that does not really apply to the bible as a whole.

It does not apply to the OT

outhouse

Atheistically
It's interesting that this is the first time that the wrath of God is referred to, the fatherless and widows.

It was not the first time.

The text does not provide a timeline that is credible. It cannot be read literally with any credibility what so ever.

This book took hundreds of years to finish , it was a collection of writings that ended up being a compilation of two traditions possibly northern and southern.

This book is tough to relate to in context because it is so fragmented due to how many times it was edited and changed over multiple authors with different intent.