• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The false histories of Neil deGrasse Tyson #2 re: Isaac Newton

Hop_David

My first thread on Tyson's bad history is already becoming unwieldy. So I am posting Tyson's claims on Isaac Newton in a separate thread.

Newton could have easily done Laplace's n-body work but he had God on the brain.

Tyson tells us Newton could have easily done Laplace's n-body mechanics in an afternoon. After all, Newton invented calculus on a dare! in two months! Before he turned 26!

But Newton had God on the brain. And he was satisfied with the explanation that God intervened occasionally to keep the multi-body solar system stable. So he didn't bother trying to build n-body models and perturbation theory..

Tyson's claim is demonstrably false from the get go. Newton invested considerable time and effort trying to model the 3-body system of the earth moon and sun. From William Harper's book on Isaac Newton:

"By reason of the deviation of the Sun from the center of gravity, the centripetal force does not always tend to that immobile center, and hence the planets neither move exactly in ellipses nor revolve twice in the same orbit. There are as many orbits of a planet as it has revolutions, as in the motion of the Moon, and the orbit of any one planet depends on the combined motion of all the planets, not to mention the action of all these on each other. But to consider simultaneously all these causes of motion and to define these motions by exact laws admitting of easy calculation exceeds, if I am not mistaken, the force of any human mind.” (Wilson 1989b, 253)

It appears that shortly after articulating this daunting complexity problem, Newton was hard at work developing resources for responding to it with successive approximations.
The development and applications of perturbation theory, from Newton through Laplace at the turn of the nineteenth century and on through much of the work of Simon Newcomb at the turn of the twentieth, led to successive, increasingly accurate corrections of Keplerian planetary orbital motions.

(I added the emphasis)

See also Michael Nauenberg's piece on Newton's effort to model 3 body systems.

After Newton tried Leonhard Euler took a crack at modeling n-body systems. Euler is widely regarded as the greatest mathematician that ever lived. Laplace held that opinion.

And after Euler, Joseph Lagrange worked on the problem. Perhaps you've heard of the 5 Lagrange points. They should actually be called Euler-Lagrange points since Euler discovered L1, L2 and L3. Lagrange discovered L4 and L5, the Lagrange points trailing and leading the orbiting body by 60º.

More than 100 years after Newton Laplace built a better n-body model. But he built on the efforts of Newton, Euler and Lagrange.

It took 4 of mankind's greatest mathematicians (including Newton) more than a 100 years to build perturbation theory. Tyson shouts that we know Newton could have done this in an afternoon. We know no such thing. It is a horribly clueless claim.

Newton invented calculus on a Dare.

What is the dare Tyson is talking about? Tyson goes into more detail in the Big Think video My Man, Sir Isaac Newton:

He discovers the laws of motion and the universal law of gravitation. Then, a friend of his says,
“Ike, why do these orbits of the planets… Why are they in a shape of an ellipse,
sort of flattened circle? Why aren’t… some other shape?” He said, you know, “I can’t… I
don’t know. I’ll get back to you.” So he goes… goes home, comes back couple of months later,
“Here’s why. They’re actually conic sections, sections of a cone that you cut.” And… And he
said, “Well, how did find this out? How did you determine this?” “Well,
I had to invent integral and differential calculus to determine this.” Then, he turned 26. Then,
he turned 26. We got people slogging through calculus in college just to learn what it
is that Isaac Newtown invented on a dare, practically. So that’s my man, Isaac Newton.

It was in Principia that Newton explained why planets follow Kepler's laws and move in elliptical orbits. And it was Edmund Halley's famous question that prompted Newton to write Principia.

So Tyson is telling us that Newton also wrote Principia on this dare. *And* invented calculus on the same dare. In two months! Before he turned 26!

So much to unpack here.

Tyson gets the question wrong. He gets Newton's answer wrong. And he gets the time frame completely wrong. Edmund Halley asked his famous question in 1684. Newton was in his early 40s at the time. Newton came back 18 months later with a rough draft of Principia. See Did Newton answer Halley's Question?

It is thought that Newton worked on his fluxions in 1666. Though obviously not because of Halley's "dare" made in 1684. So what prompted Newton to think about calculus? Maybe it was Newton's older Cambridge colleague Isaac Barrow. Barrow, Fermat, Descartes, Gregory, Cavalieri and others had laid the foundation for modern calculus in the generation before Newton and Leibniz. See History of the Differential from the 17th Century as well as History of the Integral from the 17th Century.

Thony Christie argues that building the branch of mathematics we call calculus was the collaborative effort of many people over many years. See his piece The Wrong Question. Also see Christie disembowel Tyson's history on Newton.

Newton did not single handedly invent calculus in two months time. Nor did he invent it on Halley's dare.

Like most (if not all) Tyson's rants on the evils of religion, his Newton God of the Gaps story is based on invented history.

Jeremiah Ames

My first thread on Tyson's bad history is already becoming unwieldy. So I am posting Tyson's claims on Isaac Newton in a separate thread.

Newton could have easily done Laplace's n-body work but he had God on the brain.

Tyson tells us Newton could have easily done Laplace's n-body mechanics in an afternoon. After all, Newton invented calculus on a dare! in two months! Before he turned 26!

But Newton had God on the brain. And he was satisfied with the explanation that God intervened occasionally to keep the multi-body solar system stable. So he didn't bother trying to build n-body models and perturbation theory..

Tyson's claim is demonstrably false from the get go. Newton invested considerable time and effort trying to model the 3-body system of the earth moon and sun. From William Harper's book on Isaac Newton:

(I added the emphasis)

See also Michael Nauenberg's piece on Newton's effort to model 3 body systems.

After Newton tried Leonhard Euler took a crack at modeling n-body systems. Euler is widely regarded as the greatest mathematician that ever lived. Laplace held that opinion.

And after Euler, Joseph Lagrange worked on the problem. Perhaps you've heard of the 5 Lagrange points. They should actually be called Euler-Lagrange points since Euler discovered L1, L2 and L3. Lagrange discovered L4 and L5, the Lagrange points trailing and leading the orbiting body by 60º.

More than 100 years after Newton Laplace built a better n-body model. But he built on the efforts of Newton, Euler and Lagrange.

It took 4 of mankind's greatest mathematicians (including Newton) more than a 100 years to build perturbation theory. Tyson shouts that we know Newton could have done this in an afternoon. We know no such thing. It is a horribly clueless claim.

Newton invented calculus on a Dare.

What is the dare Tyson is talking about? Tyson goes into more detail in the Big Think video My Man, Sir Isaac Newton:

It was in Principia that Newton explained why planets follow Kepler's laws and move in elliptical orbits. And it was Edmund Halley's famous question that prompted Newton to write Principia.

So Tyson is telling us that Newton also wrote Principia on this dare. *And* invented calculus on the same dare. In two months! Before he turned 26!

So much to unpack here.

Tyson gets the question wrong. He gets Newton's answer wrong. And he gets the time frame completely wrong. Edmund Halley asked his famous question in 1684. Newton was in his early 40s at the time. Newton came back 18 months later with a rough draft of Principia. See Did Newton answer Halley's Question?

It is thought that Newton worked on his fluxions in 1666. Though obviously not because of Halley's "dare" made in 1684. So what prompted Newton to think about calculus? Maybe it was Newton's older Cambridge colleague Isaac Barrow. Barrow, Fermat, Descartes, Gregory, Cavalieri and others had laid the foundation for modern calculus in the generation before Newton and Leibniz. See History of the Differential from the 17th Century as well as History of the Integral from the 17th Century.

Thony Christie argues that building the branch of mathematics we call calculus was the collaborative effort of many people over many years. See his piece The Wrong Question. Also see Christie disembowel Tyson's history on Newton.

Newton did not single handedly invent calculus in two months time. Nor did he invent it on Halley's dare.

Like most (if not all) Tyson's rants on the evils of religion, his Newton God of the Gaps story is based on invented history.
I actually didn’t know about Tyson, previously.

But if he is one who rants about religion, I must confess I am of his mindset.

But I will give credit where it’s due.

The Catholics now have a wonderful pope.

Also, just my opinion, but I think Martin Luther took Christianity in a very very bad direction, and the evangelical movement took it straight off the cliff.
But that’s another discussion.

Hop_David

I actually didn’t know about Tyson, previously.

But if he is one who rants about religion, I must confess I am of his mindset.

I don't mind criticizing religion if it's factual criticism. But Tyson's histories are fictions. I hope you would condemn false histories whether or not they support your mindset.

Jeremiah Ames

I don't mind criticizing religion if it's factual criticism. But Tyson's histories are fictions. I hope you would condemn false histories whether or not they support your mindset.
Absolutely
You entice me to do some research on this guy
Thanks for your great posts