• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Enemy

Fluffy

A fool
Under what circumstances is it justifiable to choose another person or organisation as our enemy? If somebody chooses us as their enemy, does this automatically make them, our enemy?

How should we treat our enemies? What should be our long term aim in dealing with our enemies?

Do you feel that you live up to how you feel that enemies should ideally be chosen/treated? Have you ever regretted a previous interaction with an enemy and have you learned from this mistake?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
Under what circumstances is it justifiable to choose another person or organisation as our enemy? If somebody chooses us as their enemy, does this automatically make them, our enemy?

How should we treat our enemies? What should be our long term aim in dealing with our enemies?

Do you feel that you live up to how you feel that enemies should ideally be chosen/treated? Have you ever regretted a previous interaction with an enemy and have you learned from this mistake?

As a Christian, by my own personal moral code, I could only choose someone as an enemy if I thought that person/s acts violated or hurt others, denying them of their own human rights. In other words, Historically speaking, I would have regarded Hitler as an enemy.

If somebody chooses us as their enemy, does this automatically make them, our enemy?
Not at all; I would spend as long as it takes to try and iron out problems.

Do you feel that you live up to how you feel that enemies should ideally be chosen/treated?
The only enemy I have ever had (when I was 15 in boarding school), I treated rather badly, to get the truth out of him. I regret it.

A

angellous_evangellous

Under what circumstances is it justifiable to choose another person or organisation as our enemy?

When another person or group of people have demonstrated the resolve and ability to deprive me of my personal freedom, safety, and/or assets.

If somebody chooses us as their enemy, does this automatically make them, our enemy?

Yes.

How should we treat our enemies?

As long as they are a true enemy, deprive them of the resources that they need to carry out their will against me while doing my best to respect dignity that they deserve as human beings. If I must, kill them and take their resources.

What should be our long term aim in dealing with our enemies?

Work towards peace and mutual prosperity ideally. As a last resort, completely destroy their government and use their resources to assuage other enemies and strengthen my position.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Fluffy said:

There are individuals and organizations who are opposed to me and what I am, but I don't regard them as enemies. I don't regard them as friends either. But "enemy" implies that I am inclined to attack them in the same fashion, which I'm not. I reserve the right to defend myself, but I'm not interested at all in aggression.

That would depend entirely on the sitution, though in general consultation and negotiation are preferable.

? I don't have any enemies. I can't say I ever have.

It takes too much energy to have enemies, and brings bad karma. I've had people who put themselves in opposition to me at times, but I've tried to just step around them and spend my limited energy on something more positive than opposing them.

Speaking of karma, it make take a while to work but it always does. Those who do ill to other always pay for it in time. It does not (and should not) matter to me if I see it happen or not.

joeboonda

I don't think we should choose enemies, I think an enemy chooses us. I believe we may have to protect or defend ouselves against an enemy if they attack us, but that we should do everything possible to negotiate and live peaceably with them. Above all we should love them. Long term if we show them love and respect and kindness, hopefully they will no longer be our enemy. I think it is wrong to try to take out vengeance, get revenge, get even with someone who has done us wrong. This is beyond defending ourselves and I know God is just and will deal with all men justly. I just try to love others and trust in God.

Fluffy

A fool
I shall answer my own questions before I start doing any debating :).

There are no circumstances in which choosing another as an enemy is justifiable. If somebody else considers me to be an enemy then, whilst I do not have a responsibility to try and reconcile myself with them, I should either do this or avoid them. I do not consider it justifiable to defend myself if I could have reasonably done something earlier to either defuse the hostitlity or make any ammends.

This is not to say I would not defend myself, however, I should definitely try every course of action before being forced into such a situation.

Well in the case of people who consider us an enemy, we should treat them critically but not with hostility. Our aim should always be on ending the conflict, not winning the conflict. I believe that with that intent in mind, the largest amount of harm can be avoided.

I do not believe in revenge. I feel that revenge is essentially letting another person have power over yourself since you are letting them dictate your actions.

I have consistently failed to live up to my expectations in this area but I am comforted by the knowledge that everytime I do fail, I get a little bit better. In fact over the last year I feel that I have managed to consistently live up to the ideals I have outlined above.

I find that a major stumbling block that causes the majority of my failures is an inability to control my immediate emotional response. I, therefore feel that intending to follow these ideals is not enough. I must take active steps to ensure that I follow them and I do this through prediction of future conflict so that I might avoid it (thereby avoiding any negative emotional response on my part) and meditation so that I can return to a calm state as quickly as possible.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Any who opposes our will is our " emeny " to some degree . If you have a will , and know another who has a will , sooner or later those wills will come up agaisnt one another .

Will we resolve that conflict says more about us then rather or not we have emenies . :) Most often we can resolve things with a little giving on both sides . Sometimes we have to walk away . And yes , sometimes the world isn't large enough to walk far enough . But I believe that we should all try to regain understanding , and respect , and no fall victem to hate . That way , when the conflict is over , perhaps we can carry on without continuing a fight that now has no reason . In other words , we can get over it .

Yes , I AM human . I have made mistakes . Some I have learnt from . Haven't we all ?

kai

ragamuffin
Fluffy said:
yes
we confront our enemies or we become apeasers and can be comprimised
yes and i have only regreted not interacting sooner