• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Empty Threat of Hell

nameless

The Creator
if all sorts of sufferings are available in this world, then what is the need for hell?
existence of hell has not proven yet, one could believe in hell only if he blindly believe his faith.

RamaRaksha

*banned*
Because you go to hell if you don't worship - obviously.

This is about proselytization - trying to entice peopel to join their religion with threats. Cults in my opinion have the 2 following characteristics:
1. Threats of Hell to non-believers or to those who might choose to leave the cult
2. Offerings of goodies to members, like an easy access to heaven but only as long as you remain a member

If is unfortunate that the 2 biggest religions today have descended into cults

dragynfly0515

Satan Worshipper
Oh that's great. And do you believe this to be right? That's like having a friend who kills people and saying to another friend "You better be nice to this guy or he'll cut your head off and chop your body up into little pieces. I'm not too worried though, I'm on his good side, no decappy-choppy for me, ^_^ but good luck with your situation though." :facepalm:

decappy-choppy has just been added to my awesome word list:)

I agree with your OP but I think the reverse applies as well. Legless people shouldn't criticize those with legs for walking.

:candle:
Crys

nonbeliever_92

Don't walk or I'll make you grow some more legs???

If you're getting at atheist criticizing theists for believing, then you certainly are generalizing. Often atheists don't criticize the holders of the belief, they criticize the belief itself. it's like blaming a rape victim for being raped. You don't blame the victim. I personally especially don't aim to criticize a person for having their beliefs, but I criticize people's irrationalities for maintining a theistic belief, or the belief itself. It is far better to hold respect for a person than an idea.

pippa_wonders

Yup you wouldn't believe how many I have talked to that are just downright scared "not to believe" just in case. It's actually really sad imo.
Ironically, they're still not off the hook, because they don't really LOVE God, they're only believing out of fear, which is still not good enough. They have to LOVE the one who will send them to hell if they don't love HIM.

Last edited:

RamaRaksha

*banned*
Ironically, they're still not off the hook, because they don't really LOVE God, they're only believing out of fear, which is still not good enough. They have to LOVE the one who will send them to hell if they don't love HIM.

Sounds like the creepy guy in some movies tying down the heroine and telling he he just wants to be loved