• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The drive for altruism is hardwired

Zeno

"The Washington Post is reporting on recent neuroscience research indicating that the brain is pre-wired to enjoy altruism — placing the interests of others ahead of one's own. In studies, '[G]enerosity activated a primitive part of the brain that usually lights up in response to food or sex... Altruism, the experiment suggested, was not a superior moral faculty that suppresses basic selfish urges but rather was basic to the brain, hard-wired and pleasurable.' Such research 'has opened up a new window on what it means to be good,' although many philosophers over recorded history have suggested similar things."
-Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/27/AR2007052701056.html

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Makes sense to me.

This would suggest that the debate over whether we are born good or bad is rather simplistic in light of emerging science.

Pariah

Let go
Could you define hardwired, for me?
Hardwired, in the sense that it is integral brain tissue, or specific parts of the brain affected by certain hormones? <-- Is this even possible?

(I thought hormones only affected parts of the body through the blood stream via the endocrine system)

neves

Wow… we get this mercy from God to align us to Good… and some still choose to be selfish and animalistic… Human are odd creatures… well that how I see it anyways…

Zeno

Could you define hardwired, for me?
Hardwired, in the sense that it is integral brain tissue, or specific parts of the brain affected by certain hormones? <-- Is this even possible?

(I thought hormones only affected parts of the body through the blood stream via the endocrine system)

In the sense of the article it just means that we are predisposed to enjoy it. The same way that we enjoy eating and sex. I am pretty sure that the area they are referring to when they mention food and sex is the dopamine reward system in the brain. The article doesn't state that explicitly, but from what I know about the brain it seems that's what they describing. It is they same system that produces euphoria when someone takes cocaine or amphetamines.

Structures associated with pleasure (and the dopamine reward system): nucleus accumbens and striatum

Also, concerning hormones, they can and do affect the brain. There is an area of the brain called the hypothalamus that produces hormones and releasing factors - which act on other structures telling them to produce hormones. Once the hormones are in the body they act as a negative feedback system on the hypothalamus.

Sunstone said:
This would suggest that the debate over whether we are born good or bad is rather simplistic in light of emerging science.

I agree. It also begs the question whether these "common sense" morals that most of us have in modern society really are the product of religion. Obviously I don't think they are, but it is an interesting discussion nonetheless.

lunamoth

Will to love
OP said:
Altruism, the experiment suggested, was not a superior moral faculty that suppresses basic selfish urges but rather was basic to the brain, hard-wired and pleasurable.'

I don't think this necessarily means that we are born bad or good, or born altruistic. During the early years of life neural connections are formed and lost. Many more connections are made during the first five years of life than are perpetuated through into adulthood. At about five years of age there is a major loss of neural connections that are little used, while connections that have been reinforced (such as by praise and loving contact from parents) are retained. We (parents, others who are in contact with children) actually affect the long-term hard-wiring of our kids brains by how we interact with them as infants.

It's easy to imagine that consistent praise for altruistic behavior in young kids would result in a physiological states of the adult brain.

Probably the lesson we most consitently reinforce in our children is to share.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
It makes sence as a social creature the best way to select for social behavior is to have an inbuilt reward system.
It's been demonstrated that Chimps are altruistic, though apparently only with close relations.

wa:do

Pariah

Let go
I am pretty sure that the area they are referring to when they mention food and sex is the dopamine reward system in the brain.

I assumed the same.

Structures associated with pleasure (and the dopamine reward system): nucleus accumbens and striatum

Thank you for this.

Also, concerning hormones, they can and do affect the brain. There is an area of the brain called the hypothalamus that produces hormones and releasing factors - which act on other structures telling them to produce hormones. Once the hormones are in the body they act as a negative feedback system on the hypothalamus.

The hypothalamus, however, cannot be categorized with the Central Nervous System (CNS) and instead works as part of the endocrine system to alter the processes of other systems. Does it explicitly affect our emotions?

Quick Question:
Are you at all interested in Stoicism?

mr.guy

crapsack
sunstone said:
I think needlers can still mess around with such fruitless debate, on a couple counts, actually. I'm of the opinion that it helps remove "good" from some occasions. What is mutually or at least more widely benificial strikes one as not so much "good" as it is (hopefully) socially stabalizing; whether we are good or bad seems to largely come down to how fervently we endorse a specified social vision.

Problem is that as soon as something complex [vs. a basic selfish urge] comes into play altruism goes out the window. Whatever moves and motivates those wires should be given to all. Get those neurons moving to help all.
If i'm wired to enjoy altruistic behavior, then the puritan concept is allready so much dirty bathwater. What remains is a post-analysis as to how socially synchronized the altruee was with his/her motivations, be they political, ethical, or other forms of popular and appreciable dogmas. This is to say, there are no unselfish actions, thus all altruistisms can be judged and condemned regardless of one's "good intentions".

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course altruism is hard-wired. Our innate psychology is the result of a million years of selective breeding. Throughout the Pleistocene Hominids lived in hunter-gatherer bands. Those psychological characteristics beneficial to such a lifestyle became fixed in our psyche.

Unfortunately, humans cannot naturally extend their altruism to more than an estimated 150 individuals -- the maximum practicable band size.

The military is very aware of this. It is what enables modern armies.
By reproducing a hunter-gatherer band (platoon) an absolute, selfless dedication to the goals and welfare of the group can be engendered while excluding the other, "enemy" bands from the group's moral universe.

daemonikus

godkiller
If i'm wired to enjoy altruistic behavior, then the puritan concept is allready so much dirty bathwater. What remains is a post-analysis as to how socially synchronized the altruee was with his/her motivations, be they political, ethical, or other forms of popular and appreciable dogmas. This is to say, there are no unselfish actions, thus all altruistisms can be judged and condemned regardless of one's "good intentions
this speaks to what i have often stated myself. i dont believe in the idea of altruism. there are too many reasons for humans to do good for them all to be negated into nothingness creating this idea of unselfishness.

lets use an extreme example. your child is in the street and you see a bus coming. if you push her out of the way you will die. if you dont she will. to save the child is often considered an alturistic action. i disagree. your motive lies not only with wanting to save your child but with wanting to do the 'right thing'. this implies that there is something telling 'what' the right thing is. whether it is your own conscience or god or society you are doing it to satisfy yourself that you have done the right thing. a selfish motive.

just to clarify though. it does not mean it is a 'negative' motive. just because (as i believe) your motives are rooted in selfish behaviour doesnt mean all bahaviour is negatively selfish. the desire to do good to others who are deserving of it is often noble and worthwhile. but let us not delude ourselves into believing our actions are based on something as absolute and selfless as altruism.