• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Dokkodo: “The Path of Walking Alone”

The Dokkodo or "The Way of Walking Alone" was written by Miyamoto Musashi one week before dying, for the occasion where Musashi was giving away his possessions in preparation for death. It was given to Terao Magonojo, his most skilled disciple in Niten-Ichi-Ryu. After the Gorin-No-Sho (the book of five rings), Dokkodo is the summary of Musashi's life, his will and his philosophy.

Principles:

1. Accept everything just the way it is.
  2. Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.
  3. Do not, under any circumstances, depend on a partial feeling.
  4. Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.
  5. Be detached from desire your whole life.
  6. Do not regret what you have done.
  7. Never be jealous.
  8. Never let yourself be saddened by a separation.
  9. Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself nor others.
  10. Do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love.
  11. In all things, have no preferences.
  12. Be indifferent to where you live.
  13. Do not pursue the taste of good food.
  14. Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.
  15. Do not act following customary beliefs.
  16. Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful.
  17. Do not fear death.
  18. Do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.
  19. Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.
  20. You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honour.
  21. Never stray from the way.

From Wikipedia

An alternate translation of some of the principles may be found here.

Yet another translation, along with commentary may be found here: Miyamoto Musashi's Dokkodo

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

1. [*]accept everything just the way it is. - I definitely agree to this.
    [*]do not seek pleasure for its own sake. - That's the only reason to seek pleasure, IMO. I think disappointment will only come if you disobey the first on this list, as long as you accept everything as it comes, seeking pleasure for its own sake will not cause disappointment.
    [*]do not, under any circumstances, depend on a partial feeling. - I agree, we are often programmed by our emotions, but we don't have to be, and it's better not to be.
    [*]think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. - I also agree to put the world before you, otherwise it will crash down on you. But I don't think this is to say think lightly of yourself.
    [*]be detached from desire your whole life. - I don't fully agree with this, but it also depends on how you are saying detached. I agree not to become attached to your desires, but I don't believe we should totally avoid them.
    [*]do not regret what you have done. - It's harder than it looks, but it could help.
    [*]never be jealous. - It's harder than it looks, but I think this could help.
    [*]never let yourself be saddened by a separation. - Total agree here, because things that arrive also must leave at some point, it's best to accept that. If someone is to constantly get saddened by separation, it ruins their life, for life is full of separations. This also connects with detachment from desire, don't get too in love with things.
    [*]resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself nor others. - Nothing to really comment on here.
    [*]do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love. - Being guided by any emotion is a bad idea. Completely agree here.
    [*]in all things, have no preferences. - I do agree. This is definitely something to practice on.
    [*]be indifferent to where you live. - Agree, in part to the first one.
    [*]do not pursue the taste of good food. - Well, I'm guilty of it, and honestly it hasn't really bugged me at all. It CAN be bad, but I'm sure even those who pursue the taste of good food are smart enough to eat anything that's an option if they have to.
    [*]do not hold on to possessions you no longer need. - Of course, life, like a toolshed, needs space as well.
    [*]do not act following customary beliefs. - Kind of agree, kind of don't.
    [*]do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful. - I believe most weapons are useful.
    [*]do not fear death. - Seems a little hard. Some people act as if saying "I'm not afraid of death" in their head really means they are not afraid of death. It's not that easy.
    [*]do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age. - Meh.
    [*]respect buddha and the gods without counting on their help. - I do agree that you should not depend on God, a man must do what he can do on his own. But respect is totally optional.
    [*]you may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honour. - Okay.
    [*]never stray from the way. - the way of what? If you mean the way of how things go about naturally, then yes i agree. If something else, probably give it a navy blue or royal blue

Red = Greatest agreement
Navy = Greatest disagreement.

IIIIIIIII

Green = Probably not so easy.

I

absols

ur objective perspective is very wrong

u mean smthg while u say only that u want to b a will, which is beyond the edge of paradoxes n contradictions

let me tell u what is a thing, the objective concept

first principle, a thing is the plus positive of all possible presence

that is why or how for instance, THE VOID is a thing

in the sense that there cant b two void while it includes all possibles and nonpossibles in one spot so the void become then the source, from the conception of truth which is the plus or objectively positive superiority
everything possible is above nothing impossible, so the void is a thing
but only when we mean the void not a copy or a relativity

like it is proven how a simple human mind if it is truly constant above nothing, then it can face all gods powerful minds and skills easily bc it is a true thing of true positive superiority

so first principle of objective concept is positive constancy end alone

the base of it is then, the free superior value over all that may b relative to

so

walking alone is not that at all

walking alone is then, what is the plus to all powers and force that would b positive constant end ???

the answer is obvious

when the alone is the initiative to relate everything around and seen right, its presence alone is positive constant n superior since recognizing n realizing else rights alone

anyone can try this, bc it is not of anyone it is of truth

that is how walking alone is not about thinking and speaking to oneself and pretendin makin decisions still ,,,on the contrary alone as objective individual is waht knows the most wat life and social relations present values are, but it is simply more that is why him the alone is meant existing not all

but of course this is possible only if truth is the source of existence wills

in our case this is not possible

any reliance on others powers is far more positive end then to stay alone

which made evil strenght became the exclusive existence will, the reason why god so the most evil one want to force its possession to all existence facts and possible resources

that is why the way is continuous abuse of individuals weakness to a surprising extent of evil
that show being infinite

alone or an individual is not wat it does or wat it looks like or its true means or the reality ....which evil start by imposing that, cheapest ways

alone or an individual is the superior freedom over all

any conscious is always standing bc of subjective free value that has nothing to do with all there

and when the true freedom realize smthg alone it is the true source of making children look in animals

it cant but care for wat it realized bc as it was free then its realisation is part of its own identity

u enjoy listenning to that as crap to have fun reading and hitting

i dont care bc i know how the more i say the more u get down