• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The differences between Christianity and following Christ

djFiddles

(I would like to preface this thread by noting that I use some generalities, please understand the general concept and don't make absolute judgements.)

There are many ways (huge ways) that make Christianity very different from following Christ. In a certain way of thinking, Christianity is a broken machine with a few good parts left in it (those that truly follow Christ). It is always dangerous for me to say I am a Christian; and sometimes damaging if I leave it at that.

I noticed many many people (on this site and elsewhere) that attribute bigotry, closed-mindedness, intolerance, etc to Christianity. Anyone would be more correct by saying that than saying grass in green. This is one major way that Christianity has evolved into something it shouldn't be. I am going to attempt to tackle this subject whilst making it pleasingly short to read.

Jesus was largely intolerant of one thing: People leaning on their own understanding of what/who/why/etc God is. There was a group of people called the Pharisees who improperly practiced the Jewish faith in this way, that is they took all the laws of God and twisted them around so that they could be "accomplished." They then lorded that over everyone else's head and made themselves superior in the public eye. Jesus had a real problem with that because it "took away" the need for grace and mercy (which I'll get into at a later time).

Jesus was NOT intolerant to the "scum" of the Earth, as it were. If you really examine the places where Jesus hung out it was with the most unlikely people. First off the men he called as His companions and disciples included uneducated fishermen, a tax-collecter (known for lying, cheating and stealing the people blind...much like the Sherrif on the Disney's Robin Hood cartoon movie), and even a political hitman. Take that into account with the fact that Jesus brought this company into fellowship with other tax-collectors, prostitutes, and other "sinners." Now, don't misunderstand, Jesus was not hanging out with these people to approve of their behavior or life styles, he was vey upfront with the need for change. But He did not take those matters into His own eartly hands and try to "rid" people of their wrongdoings. He was questioned several times for His behavior and why He maintained such friendships (understand that they were legitamite friendships, not just a fony attachment to start/spread a religion), and He answered that it is the sick that need doctoring, not the healthy. In otherwords He was saying only the ignorant need help. Furthermore, He was saying, I'll help those who admit they need it.

This is truly how a Christian should act. We should be accepting people as they are and not make it our agenda to conform them to our way of life. This really is what Christ taught; to "come as you are." We were commanded to love each other and let God deal with each individual with their sin. (I understand that this is a little simplistic, but it really is true.) We (Christians) are not some high and mighty people group who came to the truth because we are smarter than anybody else. Salvation is not unlockable like a difficult mathematical equation or scientific hypothesis. It is not something that is realized out of intelligence. Instead, true Christianity is the result of admitting that you are not smart enough to figure out the mind of God. No matter if you have accepted faith in Christ or not, mankind is not intelligent enough to figure out the mind of God.

I want to apologize to anyone who has ever been judged, beaten, rejected or otherwise mistreated by another in the name of Christ. Jesus does call us to a high moral standard, but bringing others down does not raise us up...ever. Some Christians have gotten confused and I am extremely sorry.

Please post any other thoughts or responses, I'd like some feedback. Hopefully this all makes sense - I was trying to make this quick, short, but also informative.

Melody

djFiddles said:
This is truly how a Christian should act. We should be accepting people as they are and not make it our agenda to conform them to our way of life. This really is what Christ taught; to "come as you are." We were commanded to love each other and let God deal with each individual with their sin. (I understand that this is a little simplistic, but it really is true.) We (Christians) are not some high and mighty people group who came to the truth because we are smarter than anybody else. Salvation is not unlockable like a difficult mathematical equation or scientific hypothesis. It is not something that is realized out of intelligence. Instead, true Christianity is the result of admitting that you are not smart enough to figure out the mind of God. No matter if you have accepted faith in Christ or not, mankind is not intelligent enough to figure out the mind of God.
Beautiful.

uu_sage

Simply beautiful. If that is what it means, then count me in! Right now I've been studying on issues of the Historical Jesus, the views of the classic Unitarians and Universalists that have contributed to he history of our UU tradition, and more of liberal Christianity especially in the works of Bishop Spong, and Marcus Borg. So now I feel comfortable with calling myself a UU Christian as one of my many identities and now knowing that I am free the stigma that the Christianity of my youth (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod and Conservative Baptist Church of America) has attached to Jesus and other important issues. Namaste!