• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Decreasing Value for Human Life

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
Has anyone read the Giver. This book displays a world where humans are basiccaly workers in a colony, trying o support their community everyday without value of their own lives or lives of others. they woulkd litterally sacrifice themselves if told to because the populatuon in the community had grown to uch. this is because they have become like robots. they have devalued human life and lost their emotions. i fear that something like that could happen where in the future our understanding of life makes us devalue it in some way, because of overpopulation. the more humans there are, the more go unnoticed in a time of comforting, until all humans are naturally trained to devale THEMSELVES AND ACT AS ROBOTS. this may be a future cenario waiting to happen.

lease dont critisize. i must admit myself that this wasnt one of my best ideas yet :sarcastic

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i wouldn't say it's not possible, but im sure some would keep their mind and their passion.......

interesting thought! :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If you substitute "human potential" for "human life", Lord Roghen, then I think you will find many ways in which societies devalue human potential. For instance: Just look at the widespread subjugation of women around the world. In many places, women come very close to being treated like the robots in the book you've been reading. But you needn't stop with the subjugation of women: you could make a long and sad list of how socieites devalue human potential.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
If you substitute "human potential" for "human life", Lord Roghen, then I think you will find many ways in which societies devalue human potential. For instance: Just look at the widespread subjugation of women around the world. In many places, women come very close to being treated like the robots in the book you've been reading. But you needn't stop with the subjugation of women: you could make a long and sad list of how socieites devalue human potential.

Agreed; to which you could add ethnic 'devaluation', social 'devaluation'...................

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
~Lord Roghen~ said:
we could all be robots treated like robots not as human life, just machines and workers in a futuristic socety. this is what scares me

Have you considered that competitive pressure to ever increase economic efficiency is already creating a tendency to value people one-dimensionally, solely in terms of their economic value?