• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The danger of lying - Chat GPT

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Why is lying dangerous? Chat-GPT

Lying can have significant negative consequences on various aspects of life, including personal relationships, mental health, and social trust. Here are some detailed dangers associated with lying:

1. Erosion of Trust
Personal Relationships
Loss of Trust: When someone lies, it can lead to a breakdown in trust, which is foundational to any relationship. Rebuilding trust is often difficult and sometimes impossible.
Emotional Distance: Repeated lies can create emotional distance and tension between individuals, weakening the bond.
Professional Relationships
Damaged Reputation: In professional settings, lying can damage one's reputation, leading to lost opportunities, promotions, or even employment.
Lack of Credibility: Colleagues may find it hard to trust a habitual liar, which can hinder teamwork and collaboration.
2. Psychological Impact
On the Liar
Guilt and Anxiety: Lying often leads to feelings of guilt and anxiety, as individuals worry about being discovered.
Cognitive Load: Maintaining a lie requires significant mental effort to remember the falsehoods and ensure consistency, leading to cognitive overload.
Identity Crisis: Persistent lying can lead to confusion about one's identity and values, causing inner conflict and stress.
On the Victim
Emotional Hurt: Discovering a lie can cause deep emotional pain, betrayal, and a sense of being devalued.
Mistrust in Others: Being lied to can make individuals more suspicious and less trusting of others in the future.
3. Social and Ethical Implications
Social Trust
Erosion of Social Trust: Widespread lying can lead to a general decline in social trust, making social interactions more guarded and less cooperative.
Legal Consequences: Lying under oath (perjury) or in official matters can result in legal consequences, including fines and imprisonment.
Ethical Considerations
Moral Decline: Habitual lying can contribute to a broader decline in moral and ethical standards within a community or society.
Negative Role Modeling: Individuals who lie frequently, especially in positions of influence, can set a poor example for others, particularly younger or impressionable individuals.
4. Practical Consequences
Short-Term Gains, Long-Term Losses
Immediate Benefits vs. Long-Term Harm: While lying might provide short-term advantages, such as avoiding punishment or gaining favor, the long-term repercussions often outweigh these benefits.
Compounding Lies
Escalation of Falsehoods: One lie often leads to another to cover up the first, creating a complex web of deceit that becomes increasingly difficult to manage.
5. Health Implications
Physical Health
Stress-Related Illnesses: The stress associated with lying and the fear of being caught can lead to physical health problems, such as headaches, insomnia, and high blood pressure.
Mental Health
Anxiety and Depression: Chronic lying can contribute to anxiety and depression due to the constant worry about maintaining the deception and the guilt associated with dishonest behavior.
Conclusion
While lying might seem like an easy way out in certain situations, its dangers far outweigh the potential short-term benefits. The erosion of trust, psychological burden, social implications, and health consequences highlight the importance of honesty in fostering healthy, sustainable relationships and a trustworthy society.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I always thought that lying was bad because your pants would catch on fire if you lied. Or your nose would get bigger.

Seriously, though, the one caveat about lying is this: Liars need a good memory. You need to be able to remember which lies you've told to whom, and that can be pretty stressful.

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit this, but my brother made lying into an artform. (Looking back, I have been able to recognize that a good many in my family were consummate liars.) He taught me facial expressions, how you say things, and certain cagey manners of speech and lies of omission. But I couldn't really do it very well. I sometimes told the truth at the wrong time, which would anger my brother (and even my mother) at times.

e5400d43-5db9-45a3-9f9f-edab43d81479_text.gif

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Lying can have significant negative consequences on various aspects of life, including personal relationships, mental health, and social trust. Here are some detailed dangers associated with lying:

1. Erosion of Trust
Personal Relationships
Loss of Trust: When someone lies, it can lead to a breakdown in trust, which is foundational to any relationship. Rebuilding trust is often difficult and sometimes impossible.
Emotional Distance: Repeated lies can create emotional distance and tension between individuals, weakening the bond.
Damaged Reputation: In professional settings, lying can damage one's reputation, leading to lost opportunities, promotions, or even employment.
Lack of Credibility: Colleagues may find it hard to trust a habitual liar, which can hinder teamwork and collaboration.
2. Psychological Impact
On the Liar
Guilt and Anxiety: Lying often leads to feelings of guilt and anxiety, as individuals worry about being discovered.
Cognitive Load: Maintaining a lie requires significant mental effort to remember the falsehoods and ensure consistency, leading to cognitive overload.
Identity Crisis: Persistent lying can lead to confusion about one's identity and values, causing inner conflict and stress.
On the Victim
Emotional Hurt: Discovering a lie can cause deep emotional pain, betrayal, and a sense of being devalued.
Mistrust in Others: Being lied to can make individuals more suspicious and less trusting of others in the future.
Social Trust
Erosion of Social Trust: Widespread lying can lead to a general decline in social trust, making social interactions more guarded and less cooperative.
Legal Consequences: Lying under oath (perjury) or in official matters can result in legal consequences, including fines and imprisonment.
Ethical Considerations
Moral Decline: Habitual lying can contribute to a broader decline in moral and ethical standards within a community or society.
Negative Role Modeling: Individuals who lie frequently, especially in positions of influence, can set a poor example for others, particularly younger or impressionable individuals.
Immediate Benefits vs. Long-Term Harm: While lying might provide short-term advantages, such as avoiding punishment or gaining favor, the long-term repercussions often outweigh these benefits.
Compounding Lies
Escalation of Falsehoods: One lie often leads to another to cover up the first, creating a complex web of deceit that becomes increasingly difficult to manage.
5. Health Implications
Physical Health
Stress-Related Illnesses: The stress associated with lying and the fear of being caught can lead to physical health problems, such as headaches, insomnia, and high blood pressure.
Mental Health
Anxiety and Depression: Chronic lying can contribute to anxiety and depression due to the constant worry about maintaining the deception and the guilt associated with dishonest behavior.
Conclusion
While lying might seem like an easy way out in certain situations, its dangers far outweigh the potential short-term benefits. The erosion of trust, psychological burden, social implications, and health consequences highlight the importance of honesty in fostering healthy, sustainable relationships and a trustworthy society.
Lying is far too advantageous to be ignored and people are far too conditioned and brainwashed to accept lying that there is really no longer a fear of accountability by the person or group lying , because the liar will likely never see punishment or sanction for their actions.

Anywhere from that fake picture of a juicy hamburger at the fast food restaurant to "read my lips, no new taxes", to "You can keep your doctor"......

We Never Know

No Slack
I always thought that lying was bad because your pants would catch on fire if you lied. Or your nose would get bigger.

Seriously, though, the one caveat about lying is this: Liars need a good memory. You need to be able to remember which lies you've told to whom, and that can be pretty stressful.

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit this, but my brother made lying into an artform. (Looking back, I have been able to recognize that a good many in my family were consummate liars.) He taught me facial expressions, how you say things, and certain cagey manners of speech and lies of omission. But I couldn't really do it very well. I sometimes told the truth at the wrong time, which would anger my brother (and even my mother) at times.

e5400d43-5db9-45a3-9f9f-edab43d81479_text.gif
Yep

Lies are often slightly changed because they cant remember exactly what was told or to whom.
The truth stays the same regardless.

Lies are dangerous.

When atheist gundamentalists claim that guns are not a religious issue, that is dangerous for not just religious folks, but for everybody.

When atheist gundamentalists claim that war is not a religious issue, that is dangerous for not just religious folks, but for everybody.

When atheist gundamentalists claim that a human being can be illegal, that is dangerous, not just for runaway slaves, but for everybody.

When atheist gundamentalists claim that it is an insult for their worldview to be called a religion, that is dangerous not just for religious folks, but for everybody.

When atheist gundamentalists claim that people don’t have a right to celebrate culture, that is dangerous not just for Black folks, but for everybody.

It saddens me to see my fellow atheists make up such dangerous lies.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

1. Erosion of Trust
Personal Relationships
2. Psychological Impact
On the Liar
On the Victim
Social Trust
Ethical Considerations
Compounding Lies
5. Health Implications
Physical Health
Mental Health
Conclusion

Unfortunately some people will use the truth against you. Honesty is a two edged sword.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Lies are dangerous.

When atheist gundamentalists claim that guns are not a religious issue, that is dangerous for not just religious folks, but for everybody.

When atheist gundamentalists claim that war is not a religious issue, that is dangerous for not just religious folks, but for everybody.

When atheist gundamentalists claim that a human being can be illegal, that is dangerous, not just for runaway slaves, but for everybody.

When atheist gundamentalists claim that it is an insult for their worldview to be called a religion, that is dangerous not just for religious folks, but for everybody.

When atheist gundamentalists claim that people don’t have a right to celebrate culture, that is dangerous not just for Black folks, but for everybody.

It saddens me to see my fellow atheists make up such dangerous lies.
what is "atheist gundamentalist" ?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

1. Erosion of Trust
Personal Relationships
Loss of Trust: ...
Emotional Distance: ...
Damaged Reputation: ...
Lack of Credibility: ...
2. Psychological Impact
On the Liar...
Guilt and Anxiety:...
Cognitive Load: ...
Identity Crisis: ...
Emotional Hurt: ...
Mistrust in Others: ...
Social Trust
Erosion of Social Trust: ...
Legal Consequences: ...
Ethical Considerations
Moral Decline: ...
Negative Role Modeling: ...
Compounding Lies
5. Health Implications
Physical Health
Stress-Related Illnesses: The stress associated with lying and the fear of being caught can ....
Mental Health
Anxiety and Depression: Chronic lying can contribute to anxiety and depression due ...
Conclusion
One must remember that ChatGPT is a constrained model. It may not say everything that is available in the data its trains on and is itself a liar because of that. For example you will find that it has very biased points to make on some politically charged issues. At the same time it always uses extremely polite speech that hides any real problems. You can't ask it serious questions which might cause it to make disallowed comments. For example for many questions it will default to vague generalities and pleasantries, but as long as it can respond politely it will regurgitate almost any information without knowing whether it is true. So much for honesty.

A real person is passionate and deeply desires to express ourselves. Even our lies typically encode truth, as we can barely hold ourselves back. So strong is our desire for connection.

However lying is part of our default. ChatGPT's answer lists all of the negatives about lying but unsurprisingly hides the positives about it and the negatives about telling truths. If you think that lying is stressful try going a week with complete honesty to everyone you meet. You may not survive it. Explain what you really think, and then duck for the blow that follows.

Tell your daughter that she is a disappointment and your son that you don't have any confidence in him. Write a letter to your boss explaining their deficiencies and errors. Do not hide from inspectors all of the faults you know about your business. Instead of replying to people that you are doing well, take them by the arm and explain your troubled thoughts.

We Never Know

No Slack
One must remember that ChatGPT is a constrained model. It may not say everything that is available in the data its trains on and is itself a liar because of that. For example you will find that it has very biased points to make on some politically charged issues. At the same time it always uses extremely polite speech that hides any real problems. You can't ask it serious questions which might cause it to make disallowed comments. For example for many questions it will default to vague generalities and pleasantries, but as long as it can respond politely it will regurgitate almost any information without knowing whether it is true. So much for honesty.

A real person is passionate and deeply desires to express ourselves. Even our lies typically encode truth, as we can barely hold ourselves back. So strong is our desire for connection.

However lying is part of our default. ChatGPT's answer lists all of the negatives about lying but unsurprisingly hides the positives about it and the negatives about telling truths. If you think that lying is stressful try going a week with complete honesty to everyone you meet. You may not survive it. Explain what you really think, and then duck for the blow that follows.

Tell your daughter that she is a disappointment and your son that you don't have any confidence in him. Write a letter to your boss explaining their deficiencies and errors. Do not hide from inspectors all of the faults you know about your business. Instead of replying to people that you are doing well, take them by the arm and explain your troubled thoughts.

Prosocial lies vs antisocial lies

Prosocial lies are for someone else’s benefit.
Antisocial lies are for personal gain.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Prosocial lies vs antisocial lies

Prosocial lies are for someone else’s benefit.
Antisocial lies are for personal gain.
Yes true.

In the text of the opening post we see several concerns brought up by chatgpt: Erosion of trust and loss of reputation, personal anxiety and identity crisis, getting stuck in a complex of lies. The only positives it lists are shallow: short term avoiding punishment or gaining favor. That leaves a lot out.

A child could write what GPT has. As an adult I have lived with lies everywhere I have been with other people. My bosses lie. My teachers lie. My parents lie. My friends lie. Everyone around me lies! Yet here I am. When someone tells me the truth it is precious, and I am imprisoned by prosocial lies. I think of them like the shell that a chick must hatch from. These are the walls built around me to keep me from encountering reality. If I don't break through then I fail to thrive, and society leaves me in that shell. Conversely I'm expected to do the same to or for others. Antisocial lies can be worse, but antisocial lies are already the result of psychological problems.

Since antisocial lies typically result from psychological problems I see less importance surrounding all of the chatgpt arguments about stress, anxiety and identity crises. It seems that these are the causes of antisocial lies rather than a result of them.

There are different sides to this "Erosion of trust" and "Loss of reputation" argument. I don't follow the 'Erosion of trust' argument. Trust is something we extend and can't be based upon controlling others. To trust someone you have to know more than if they lie. Its not so easy. If I am obsessed with snoping everything about someone, just so I can make sure that they are completely predictable then I am trying to control them. If its like that then I am not going to relax around them even if they check every box. Its crazy to have to scan your friends with an xray. I cannot demand truth from people, nor can I fit them with wireless trackers. Instead I must use my wits to determine who means well. Sometimes people lie to me, and they do it for my own good. Do I stop trusting them? Do I put them at an emotional distance? This is a case by case judgment, but someone who never lies can still have evil intentions. They can also be toxic, negative and have other problems; so perfect honesty is not perfect friendship.

What if I decide to forgive someone? I can't very well operate in a realm of forgiveness if everyone must prove to me that they are always honest. Yes, its bad if a person has trouble being open and honest with other people; but on the other side if I panic every time someone around me is dishonest then there is something missing. There is a certain something which can only be obtained in a relationship where trust goes beyond words.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep

Lies are often slightly changed because they cant remember exactly what was told or to whom.
The truth stays the same regardless.

Yeah, it's almost as if one has to rearrange one's mind in such a way so that the lie becomes "truth" in their minds to where they internalize and believe it.

Nimos

1. Erosion of Trust
Personal Relationships
2. Psychological Impact
On the Liar
On the Victim
Social Trust
Ethical Considerations
Compounding Lies
5. Health Implications
Physical Health
Mental Health
Conclusion
Clearing up your post would be highly appreciated :D

I actually think this is a somewhat lacklustre answer. Because lying also has many good uses, lying to kids about Santa being real can bring them joy. Also, lying to them, if the intention is to prevent them from doing something potentially dangerous, but that are to complex to explain to them.

Even lying to them about things, that they should bother with at that age is also a good thing. For instance, about war, pandemics etc. there is no particularly good reason why they should worry about that.