• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Culture of Death?

Prima

This just came in the mail, and I think it makes an interesting discussion starter. You know the stuff people put on the outside of the envelope to try to make you interested? this one says...

"FREE BOOK! Learn the TRUE STORY about the Culture of Death and the men and women who created it: Marx, Freud, Kinsey, Darwin, Nietzche, Mead, Sanger, and many, many more"

I'm thinking...traditionalist Roman Catholic. And ignorant. Marx is blamed for a lot, but isn't truly to blame. Freud...great man. I don't necessarily agree with everything he said, but still smart. Kinsey...same there. And with most of the rest.

What do y'all think? Who's it from? What do you think about their choice of words/people?

Open discussion. :woohoo:

I'll actually open it later and let you all know what it says.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
If they mean the anthromorphic personification of death, then I'm all for it!

Death1.gif

(And, of course, there's also the Terry Pratchett version.)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An anti-abortion tract?

It lists people disliked by the religious right. The "death" the religious right is most concerned with is not caused by war, poverty, disease or genocide.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
[Sarcasm/cynicism alert]:

In fact, judging by the voting habits of the Bible belters, the religious are perfectly comfortable with war, poverty, disease and genocide....

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Prima said:
This just came in the mail, and I think it makes an interesting discussion starter. You know the stuff people put on the outside of the envelope to try to make you interested? this one says...

"FREE BOOK! Learn the TRUE STORY about the Culture of Death and the men and women who created it: Marx, Freud, Kinsey, Darwin, Nietzche, Mead, Sanger, and many, many more"

I'm thinking...traditionalist Roman Catholic. And ignorant. Marx is blamed for a lot, but isn't truly to blame. Freud...great man. I don't necessarily agree with everything he said, but still smart. Kinsey...same there. And with most of the rest.

What do y'all think? Who's it from? What do you think about their choice of words/people?

Open discussion. :woohoo:

I'll actually open it later and let you all know what it says.
I am actually going to take a different stance on this from everyone else.
The guys you have quoted have all been theorists; they have logically argued about our thoughts, philosophies, and beginnings. Culture of Death ? well, if the author/s think that being without FAITH is like being dead, then yes-that would be what they are saying.

To me, life without God would be like death. There would be no purpose, apart from making oneself as comfortable as possible before having our consciousness completely obliterrated, and our physical being being burned, wrotting in the ground, or maybe eaten by maggots. I don't think I would like that, but then I know there is a God.:)

Dr. Nosophoros

Anything marked with "free Book" is a sure way to get me to throw something in the trash, anything marked with "The true story" is why I burn it -not really, but the urge is there.:D

Prima

I think my dad might have thrown it away :biglaugh:I can't find it anywhere!

But it was from 'conservative catholics'

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Kinsey thought that people should be able to have sex with little kids. He was a total sicko.

I just looked that up to make sure, and it is true. He said that child sexual abuse didn't really harm children, among other things. Him and his colleauges set out to prove that it was just a social stigma to protect children from that. So, no, I don't consider him a great philosopher... and if there is a culture of death, or as in my opinion there is a growing culture of evil, he is certainly a part of it.

Prima

He was still a great philosopher. Just because he said things you don't agree with doesn't mean he wasn't great. Hitler was great. An amazing leader, orator, tactitian. That sure as hell doesn't mean I agree with him!

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Prima said:
He was still a great philosopher. Just because he said things you don't agree with doesn't mean he wasn't great. Hitler was great. An amazing leader, orator, tactitian. That sure as hell doesn't mean I agree with him!
That depends on your definition of great. If you mean someone who was merely greatly influential to the public, I agree. If you mean great as in his life deserves some sort of merit, I tend to think he did more harm than good.

It is funny to note how much Hitler gets brought up. I wonder why when he wasn't even the most evil person in history.

johnnys4life said:
Kinsey thought that people should be able to have sex with little kids. He was a total sicko.

I just looked that up to make sure, and it is true. He said that child sexual abuse didn't really harm children, among other things. Him and his colleauges set out to prove that it was just a social stigma to protect children from that. So, no, I don't consider him a great philosopher... and if there is a culture of death, or as in my opinion there is a growing culture of evil, he is certainly a part of it.
I don't agree with his methods, but I still think he has a valid point in theory. The idea that having sex with children is ultimately evil is something I don't believe to be true, that doesn't mean I think it should be legal, as there are many good reasons why I think it should be kept as a criminal offence, but ultimately anything about child sex that is 'wrong' ultimately stems from social mechanics or belief systems, as the act itself isnt necesseraly harmful to the child under all circumstances.

One good reason I believe that child sex should be illegal is because it is mostly simpyl a way of an adult useing a child as a form of gratification with little regard for the wellbeing of the child, as any adult inherantly has power over any children in their watch. Having said that, if the wishes of the child were to be respected (assuming the child was open to such desires), there existed a societey that was completely and absolutely open about sex and saw nothing shameful about anything sexual at all while respecting the consequences of the act anyway (pregnancy and STIs) and care was taken in all such aspects, there would be nothing intrinsicly evil about child sex.

Now the reality, being different from the hypothetical, justifies child sex being illegal, and because of that I disagree with Kinsey in his methods. However, seperate the fundementals of the act from what it entails in our society and there is hardly anything inherently 'wrong' with it, assuming the child wasn't harmed mentally or physically.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I don't agree with his methods, but I still think he has a valid point in theory. The idea that having sex with children is ultimately evil is something I don't believe to be true, that doesn't mean I think it should be legal, as there are many good reasons why I think it should be kept as a criminal offence, but ultimately anything about child sex that is 'wrong' ultimately stems from social mechanics or belief systems, as the act itself isnt necesseraly harmful to the child under all circumstances.

One good reason I believe that child sex should be illegal is because it is mostly simpyl a way of an adult useing a child as a form of gratification with little regard for the wellbeing of the child, as any adult inherantly has power over any children in their watch. Having said that, if the wishes of the child were to be respected (assuming the child was open to such desires), there existed a societey that was completely and absolutely open about sex and saw nothing shameful about anything sexual at all while respecting the consequences of the act anyway (pregnancy and STIs) and care was taken in all such aspects, there would be nothing intrinsicly evil about child sex.
You know, I'd buy all that crap, except for the simple fact that children are not sexually mature.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ex Machina said:

Now the reality, being different from the hypothetical, justifies child sex being illegal, and because of that I disagree with Kinsey in his methods. However, seperate the fundementals of the act from what it entails in our society and there is hardly anything inherently 'wrong' with it, assuming the child wasn't harmed mentally or physically.
Sorry, but I agree with jamaesi. Your hypothetical world is just that; hypothetical.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Ex Machina said:

There are actually a number of studies that indicate female children who have been molested later on develop low self esteem, promiscuity, self destructive behaviors, etc. These studies would contradict your assertation that there is nothing inherently wrong with having sex with children.

mr.guy

crapsack
Sunstone said:
There are actually a number of studies that indicate female children who have been molested later on develop low self esteem, promiscuity, self destructive behaviors, etc. These studies would contradict your assertation that there is nothing inherently wrong with having sex with children.
I think he'd chalk that up to social stygmatization.