• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cross

Muffled

Jesus in me
It's the same verse as the one where it says that everything in Christianity has to be written in the Bible. ;)

I missed that one. I was under the misapprehension that Jesus said "take up your cross and follow me." I will grant that the Bible provides a portion of following Jesus but do not consider it the whole.

So if I take up my cross by wearing one, it is a symbol that I am truly doing what Jesus required me to do. If I hide my light under a bushel who will give God the glory for my taking up cross?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Where in the Bible does it say to use the “cross” as a symbol for Christianity?

Did someone else say so?

"Take up your cross and follow me."

But I don't think it was meant literally....not even in His day....
and is therefore symbolic.

yep...someone beat me to it!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I missed that one. I was under the misapprehension that Jesus said "take up your cross and follow me." I will grant that the Bible provides a portion of following Jesus but do not consider it the whole.
Good point. I forgot about that verse; it seems very apropos.

Really, I was just trying to call attention to the fact that Godwilling was apparently demanding one standard for the beliefs of others while not bothering to meet it himself.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
You insult those that dear think and communicate their thoughts.
What thoughts have you communicated thus far in this thread?

It does not sound Christian to me.
No, you don't.

You sound like you don't need God. You already have yourself!
irony-meter.jpg

McBell

Where in the Bible does it say to use the “cross” as a symbol for Christianity?
Matthew 10:38
and whoever doth not receive his cross and follow after me, is not worthy of me.

Mark 8:34
And having called near the multitude, with his disciples, he said to them, `Whoever doth will to come after me--let him disown himself, and take up his cross, and follow me;

Mark 10:21
And Jesus having looked upon him, did love him, and said to him, `One thing thou dost lack; go away, whatever thou hast--sell, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come, be following me, having taken up the cross.'

Luke 9:23
And he said unto all, `If any one doth will to come after me, let him disown himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me;

Luke 14:27
and whoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, is not able to be my disciple.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
IMO, the reference in the Bible that comes closest to describing the use of a cross as a religious symbol is here:

Jeremiah 10:4-6 (New International Version)

4 They adorn it with silver and gold;
they fasten it with hammer and nails
so it will not totter.
5 Like a scarecrow in a melon patch,
their idols cannot speak;
they must be carried
because they cannot walk.
Do not fear them;
they can do no harm
nor can they do any good."

Green Kepi

Of course, you're conveniently forgetting that the OT writers know nothing of the cross, so your "counsel" is completely moot.

Beg to differ with you...I think they did...Psalms 22:16 and Isaiah 53:12 hints at it. Of course, someone may argue the interpretation. Some old manuscripts say it somewhat differently. No where in the Torah do the Hebrew words mean anything remotely resembling "pierce".

Dang...I've just argued myself out of my point I started with...oh, well...have a blessed day!!!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Beg to differ with you...I think they did...Psalms 22:16 and Isaiah 53:12 hints at it. Of course, someone may argue the interpretation. Some old manuscripts say it somewhat differently. No where in the Torah do the Hebrew words mean anything remotely resembling "pierce".

Dang...I've just argued myself out of my point I started with...oh, well...have a blessed day!!!
Many Xians read them that way, but they do so through the lens of hindsight, having already been informed by the passion narratives in the NT. If one reads the OT without that lens, one does not see the cross at all.:no:

Godwilling

Organic, kinetic learner
I checked MurphtheSurf citation

Exodus 20:4 (New International Version)

4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.”
and it appears to be self explanatory

sojourner

I checked MurphtheSurf citation

Exodus 20:4 (New International Version)

4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.”
and it appears to be self explanatory
Except that an idol is defined as a man-made object that has deific power in and of itself. The cross isn't that sort of object.

Godwilling

Organic, kinetic learner
Except that an idol is defined as a man-made object that has deific power in and of itself. The cross isn't that sort of object.

The first definition of idol in ARD dictionary is “An image or representation of anything”. The second definition is “An image of a divinity; a representation or symbol of a deity or any other being or thing, made or used as an object of worship”.

The Oxford English Dictionary says:

idol (idol)

Pronunciation:/ˈʌɪd(ə)l/

noun

· an image or representation of a god used as an object of worship

· a person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered:a soccer idol

Origin:

Middle English: from Old French idole, from Latin idolum 'image, form' (used in ecclesiastical Latin in the sense 'idol'), from Greek eidōlon, from eidos 'form, shape'

I hope this helps.

McBell

I hope this helps.
Not really.
There is a HUGE difference between having an idol to remind one of something and worshiping said idol.

Interestingly enough, by your presented logic, the Bible is the second Idol worshiped by many Christians.
Jesus being the first.

sojourner

The first definition of idol in ARD dictionary is “An image or representation of anything”. The second definition is “An image of a divinity; a representation or symbol of a deity or any other being or thing, made or used as an object of worship”.

The Oxford English Dictionary says:

idol (idol)

Pronunciation:/ˈʌɪd(ə)l/

noun

· an image or representation of a god used as an object of worship

· a person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered:a soccer idol

Origin:

Middle English: from Old French idole, from Latin idolum 'image, form' (used in ecclesiastical Latin in the sense 'idol'), from Greek eidōlon, from eidos 'form, shape'

I hope this helps.
Yeah, well, the ancient Hebrews didn't have the ARD or the Oxford Dictionary. Their definition of what constituted an idol is obviously different from ours.

Godwilling

Organic, kinetic learner
Yeah, well, the ancient Hebrews didn't have the ARD or the Oxford Dictionary. Their definition of what constituted an idol is obviously different from ours.
Please share your knowledge and let us know from where you get your definition.