• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The concept of war.

In the Mahabharata, the outcome of the war, was known before the war. In any war, this is true. No one is supposed to win or loose in war, and I realise this, when I think of the Mahabharata. Sri Krishna said, that Arjuna would be honored, winning the war. Perhaps the Avatar intimated, "What does it matter?" Arjuna won the war, and didn't have a reason to win it after he did. I mean, he lost all material possessions, because in his situation, the material possessions do not matter. He didn't go to war, so that others would be rich or happy, and because people like him, would be killed. If a person cannot ask another to go to war, so that he can be rich and happy, the soldier will not go to war for that reason. The outcome of war has to be, no party winning or loosing. And, this is what is seen, and that is why wars go on, because people see no outcome, to any previous war, in their perception, and in the perception of others. In elections, if a political faction makes others unhappy, and is also unhappy, so that there can be ultimate happiness for everyone, then after winning, they want to compensate for their unreasonable actions, to themselves, and others, and they loosing elections later, is a necessity in this regard, because what they wanted, was not what they see themselves with. They are acting, and nature is acting, it seems, as one. I wonder if I make sense. I want people to read this, and I hope I have not broken any administration rules, of this forum, so that this post is removed.

Ekanta

om sai ram
Hi, AdityaMookerjee

Here's how its usually explained:

The reason to fight is dharma, doing what is right. A righteous person has to stand up against unrighteousness (and especially Arjuna since he was a kshatriya). The main reason is dharma, not necessarily winning. Remember... dont think of the results of action (karma-yoga)... The reason for his name being honored is similarly his adherence to dharma, doing what is right, not winning in the first place. The winning was Gods will.

So Arjuna had all reason to join the war. If he didnt his name would be dishonored and he would also have a bad rebirth (failing his dharma).