• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Concept of Jihad

native3

Shrinidhi Kowndinya
hello to all my friends...

even though i am an Hindhu i have learned quite a little of Something of other religious as well.... that is the prime reason for me to start exploring in RF when i found this forum to be a Database and platform for me.....

i am also an Amateur Religious Symbologist....

well comming to the topic..... the very concept of jihad

Jihad is a religious duty of Muslims. In Arabic, the word jihād means "struggle." Jihad appears frequently in the Qur'an and common usage as the idiomatic expression "striving in the way of Allah (al-jihad fi sabil Allah)". A person engaged in jihad is called a mujahid, the plural is mujahideen.

but As many suggests, jihad is "holy war." Or, more precisely: It means the legal, compulsory, communal effort to expand the territories ruled by Muslims at the expense of territories ruled by non-Muslims.

the first concept seems fine and well established.... but the second one is like impulsing and compulsary making the muslims to wage in wars for the sake of Islam is somewhat non-acceptable.....

the strive path to allah and the duty to be performed by muslims makes people move in the right path...

but fighting in the name of the religion which concept has turned these days in the name of Terrorism poses as the destruction for the whole society....

as far as my fairly knowladge about religions... no religion on this earth would ever propose to wage wars or hurt or terrorise anyone in the name of god for the wellfare of their religion...

all the religions primarily proclaim peace and enlighment to reach the Almighty God.... you call it Allah or call it Jesus or call it Krishna or call in budha or mahaveera that dosent matter but the basic principles are same....

but how come the Islamic devotees come to have introduced to a concept so vary its meaning for path of god to HOLY WAR !!..

so whats the big problem... Leadership promlem??? or Mis Leading leadership problem???

i am not telling all Islam people engage in jihad but some do.... but why is that SOME good people turn out to endanger the very own other people of the world when their religion still preaches the word PEACE everywere....

any answers??

Iman

The second aspect of Jihad, which you equate with holy war to increase Muslim as opposed to non Muslim territory, is based primarily on a historical and political stereotype rather than religious or accurate facts. Muslims are required to engage in armed struggle to defend themselves as a people and to defend their fellow Muslims. Some scholars will also include the right to spread the word of Islam as one mandate that warrants involvement in armed struggle, as in the ability to reach people of other faiths and tell them about Islam rather than force them to become Muslims. However you take it, this aspect of Islam is overridden by the clear and unequivocal mandate that Muslims respect treaties and peace agreements signed by their leaders. In today's world, which is more relevant that historical events, although history has been gravely misconstrued in the Western world, all international treaties need to be respected by Muslims as well as everyone else.

Last edited:

yousaf

hello to all my friends...

even though i am an Hindhu i have learned quite a little of Something of other religious as well.... that is the prime reason for me to start exploring in RF when i found this forum to be a Database and platform for me.....

i am also an Amateur Religious Symbologist....

well comming to the topic..... the very concept of jihad

Jihad is a religious duty of Muslims. In Arabic, the word jihād means "struggle." Jihad appears frequently in the Qur'an and common usage as the idiomatic expression "striving in the way of Allah (al-jihad fi sabil Allah)". A person engaged in jihad is called a mujahid, the plural is mujahideen.

but As many suggests, jihad is "holy war." Or, more precisely: It means the legal, compulsory, communal effort to expand the territories ruled by Muslims at the expense of territories ruled by non-Muslims.

the first concept seems fine and well established.... but the second one is like impulsing and compulsary making the muslims to wage in wars for the sake of Islam is somewhat non-acceptable.....

the strive path to allah and the duty to be performed by muslims makes people move in the right path...

but fighting in the name of the religion which concept has turned these days in the name of Terrorism poses as the destruction for the whole society....

as far as my fairly knowladge about religions... no religion on this earth would ever propose to wage wars or hurt or terrorise anyone in the name of god for the wellfare of their religion...

all the religions primarily proclaim peace and enlighment to reach the Almighty God.... you call it Allah or call it Jesus or call it Krishna or call in budha or mahaveera that dosent matter but the basic principles are same....

but how come the Islamic devotees come to have introduced to a concept so vary its meaning for path of god to HOLY WAR !!..

so whats the big problem... Leadership promlem??? or Mis Leading leadership problem???

i am not telling all Islam people engage in jihad but some do.... but why is that SOME good people turn out to endanger the very own other people of the world when their religion still preaches the word PEACE everywere....

any answers??

as you rightly said jihaad means struggle , there are different types of jihaad, one of them in fighting in the battlefield in self defence.