• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and and Polygamy

wayward_teen

Beautiful Disaster
Sounds like you know God pretty well. Do you even pray any more?

Your method of "knowing God" may be via prayer, but his may not. Some people choose to realize God through meditation, chants, or even just doing good deeds. :)

In other news, here's a fascinating article on the FLDS viewpoint on polygyny. Would love some comments on it (NO I didn't write it.)

Last edited:

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Sounds like you know God pretty well. Do you even pray any more?
No, I don't.

I know God won't answer because he hasn't told any of the prophets why Joseph Smith married already married women. Why would he tell you?

Firstborner

No, I don't.

I know God won't answer because he hasn't told any of the prophets why Joseph Smith married already married women. Why would he tell you?

He told the prophet Peter why when he said, "Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers[Gr. empaiktes=a derider, i.e. (by implication) a false teacher:--mocker, scoffer.-Strong's 1703], walking after their own lusts." The same was revealed to other apostles and Jude, "How that they told you there should be mockers[empaiktes] in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts."

Flat Earth Kyle

No, I don't.

It is times like this that I remember the Prophet Ether, who had all things pertaining to this world revealed to him, then was commanded not to share it until the world was ready.

It probably works the same way polygamy works.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
It is times like this that I remember the Prophet Ether, who had all things pertaining to this world revealed to him, then was commanded not to share it until the world was ready.

It probably works the same way polygamy works.
Convenient for God and the prophets.

Why did Joseph Smith marry sisters?
Why did Joseph Smith marry a mother and her daughter?

Flat Earth Kyle

Convenient for God and the prophets.

Why did Joseph Smith marry sisters?
Why did Joseph Smith marry a mother and her daughter?

I have never heard of Joseph doing any kind of lesbian marriages.
What sources or evidence do you have to share? Just some book that you once read that you can't answer any questions about concerning its sources?
Are you just making things up?

Blackheart

Okay, both Abraham and Jacob/ Israel, practiced polygamy. They were great men. Abraham went down in history because of the Abrahamic Covenant. Jacob/ Israel was well known for the 12 tribes of Israel, and all of Israel was named after him. None of the Israelites seemed to have a problem with Abraham or Israel, they never spoke out against it. The Savior never spoke out against it. Doesn't it make sense that if the same Church was on the earth again today that you would hear something about polygamy?

I cant remember exactly when it was but if you search the internet you will find that monogamy was a Catholic thing not a biblical thing. It was based on what they percieved to be the needs of the community at the time. If you look in the old testiment you will find that not only did they practice polygamy but some also had concubines.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think what FireOfTheCovenant was saying was that Joseph was married to two sisters, not that he performed a marriage ceremony between two sisters. By the way, yaddoe, if you want a good source of information on Joseph Smith's life, I would suggest that you read, "Rough Stone Rolling" by Richard L. Bushman. He is a excellent historian and a member of the Church. He doesn't whitewash Joseph's life story, but he doesn't sensationalize and make a lot of inaccurate assumptions either. It would be worth your while to read.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
What sources or evidence do you have to share? Just some book that you once read that you can't answer any questions about concerning its sources?
Are you just making things up?

lol
What Katz said :p

I have a copy of Rough Stone Rolling in front of me. I could probably find something about Fanny Alger in it if I so desired. I've realized it won't matter what the source is...you'll deny it ever happened.

Flat Earth Kyle

lol
What Katz said :p

I have a copy of Rough Stone Rolling in front of me. I could probably find something about Fanny Alger in it if I so desired. I've realized it won't matter what the source is...you'll deny it ever happened.

All I would probably do is ask more questions that you probably won't be able to answer.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
No, I don't.

wouldnt that be constituted an act of Adultery under Gods law?

nekoboy

Teenage neko
The book of Mormon does speak out against polygamy, but in the same breath, mentions that God sometimes permits it, usually in the case that He needs a lot of people in a short period of time. I used to be annoyed by the fact that my religion permitted polygamy, until I realized that many Old Testament prophets practiced it.

Last edited:

Agnostic75

Nothing in the Bible forbids polygamy except in the case of church elders. Paul said that church elders should have only one wife, but he did not say that all Christians should have only one wife. He probably said that since having more than one wife could take too much of church elders' time. If Paul objected to polygamy for all Christians, he would not have only said that church elders should have only one wife. He would have said that is was wrong for all Christians to have more than one wife.

When the New Testament mentions wife in the singular, that is not necessarily a 100% case for only one wife for all Christians.

Last edited: