• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Church And Politics

rocka21

Brother Rock
I have been hearing some great teaching lately by men like Perry Stone and Miles Munro.

Perry stone makes the case on how the catholic chruch tried to convert the world by setting up as the head of the political world. it tried to make the kingdom of the world into the kingdom of god.

Miles Munro has a great teaching on how the church is now set up like a polical party and not a " kingdom".

they have church boards, vote, elect, and try to run the kingdom like a demorcacy.

Jesus will come back and set up his kingdom, not a demorcacy. In a kingdom, the king has the final say. He always talked about the kingdom of God, not a state or a country.

so do you think the two ( kingdom of God and kingdom of this world can mix?)

do you think the church has become to much like a political party of some sort?

Bishka

Veteran Member
you mean baptist!:p LOL

that is another good question is all of the church " right- wing"? except the UU's of course.:eek:

Hardly. And it also depends on the people. I am quite sure there are right-wing and left-wing baptists as there are right-wing and left-wing UU's.

rocka21

Brother Rock
Hardly. And it also depends on the people. I am quite sure there are right-wing and left-wing baptists as there are right-wing and left-wing UU's.

i guess the left - wing baptist have politcal leans also.

i am more into if the chruch as copied too much of the politcal way of doing things, I.e. - voting the pastor in and out, the way they raise money, the trying to curve there message to sway the congregation and such.

Booko

Deviled Hen
so do you think the two ( kingdom of God and kingdom of this world can mix?)

Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's. ;)

do you think the church has become to much like a political party of some sort?

Some of it, yes. Not just some right-wing Christians either.

It's one thing for the religious to stand up and speak to moral issues to attempt to pursuade.

It's another when they start backing specific parties and candidates.

My religion forbids being involved in politics, thankfully. The prohibition is very clear.

I must say that, while I do watch politics (it's an interesting bit of people-watching, if nothing else), I prefer to engage in discussion of issues with no reference to any political views.

As the next election looms, I will be very delighted to spend most of my time with my fellow Baha'is, where the subject of politics doesn't even come up.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am a Follower of Jesus and I am not right wing. I don't believe that God or Jesus have a political party. I stay away from any kind of politics and I don't trust politicians.
Thus:
Some Christians in power are right wing. They speak for us, but we don't always agree with what they say.
Other Christians don't believe in any kind of politics and believe that power will corrupt even a saint.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
There's two issues really.

First, I don't think it's bad that some churches and denominations have boards, elections and the like. There is no over-arching human authority for there to be a viable Monarchy in Protestantism, especially when there are so many different sects. It would be ridiculous to expect each individual church and denomination not to have some sort of hierarchy. How would anything get done otherwise?

Second, I do think the church is too politically involved. I'm all for individuals going out and being involved in politics, but for the church itself to start declaring political affiliations and making decrees about how a Christian should vote is not right, and personally I think it goes against the edict for the church to not be "part of the world". Many churches today are so "in the world" they're trying to run it.