• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Christian God, Satan and Jesus

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Is acknowleding the existence of the Christian God acknowledging the existence of Satan? Is acknowledging the existence of Satan acknowledging the existence of God and Jesus? If not, why not?

If you accept Jesus, you know that Satan exists. If you acknowledge Satan, you don't nececarily acknowlege Jesus but you acknowlege that there is a God.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Is acknowleding the existence of the Christian God acknowledging the existence of Satan? Is acknowledging the existence of Satan acknowledging the existence of God and Jesus? If not, why not?

No.

Satan is nothing more but another being under Gods control, not some great evil sent to bring the world to ruin.

At least from what little I know of the term seems to indicate.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
No.

Satan is nothing more but another being under Gods control, not some great evil sent to bring the world to ruin.

At least from what little I know of the term seems to indicate.

Another being under gods control? I always thought of him as a being that rebeled against god through jealousy.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Another being under gods control? I always thought of him as a being that rebeled against god through jealousy.

I suppose it depends on what you're taught?

From what little I know the concept of Satan as an opposing force to God isn't present in Judaism (which to a degree is what the OT draws from). Satan is mentioned as either one who accuses people in front of God (see the story of Job), or to represent one who is opposing you (When Peter denies that Jesus will die, Jesus calls him Satan), and The Devil Tempts Jesus in the desert, which would again be seen as the role of opposing and to a degree accusing. Ha Satan translates to the Opposer I believe so that fits very well.

Now I think during the 2nd temple restoration there was a rising of Jews who did believe in a Satan as opposed to God as some Christians do now, but the Rabbi's made sure to stamp that out, and I think that would have been more of an influence of Zoroastranism (I do believe that is the time that the 2nd temple restoration happened Persians were the controlling power). I may be very off though. There are plenty of articles on it.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

Yes, they are part of the same mythos. The Christian god existing specifically implies that Satan (literal or figurative) exists. A god not belonging to the Christian mythos would not force you go believe in Satan. It could be argued that people can amend their beliefs, but a line needs to be drawn to show what is Christian and isn't. Christianity requires Satan.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

I've heard a saying before that if the Devil's real, then God has to be.

But I can understand the Christian God without Satan, considering it depends on how you interpret Lucifer's falling and such and such

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Even with Job, you can see the nature of Satan. It has not changed, from then until now. Not even in Christianity. The misunderstanding is fueled by Jews attempting to distance themselves from Christianity, at every angle. According to the story, Satan's desire was to disprove God, as God, by proving Him a liar. Satan was hoping that God would prove limited in His knowledge and power. However, as was seen, God knew both Satan and Job in entirety. He knows all past, all present, and all future, because He is God, even over time.

The Christian idea of Satan is necessary for the Christian religion. There must exist someone (Satan) from which to be 'saved' from.

Even with Job, you can see the nature of Satan. It has not changed, from then until now. Not even in Christianity. The misunderstanding is fueled by Jews attempting to distance themselves from Christianity, at every angle. According to the story, Satan's desire was to disprove God, as God, by proving Him a liar. Satan was hoping that God would prove limited in His knowledge and power. However, as was seen, God knew both Satan and Job in entirety. He knows all past, all present, and all future, because He is God, even over time.
In the Book of Job Satan proves that Man has the ability to stand morally higher than god and thus the creature surpasses the creator!

Job sees correctly even when conscious reason is blind and impotent. God's dual nature is revealed. Job, in spite of his impotence, is set up by Satan (clever devil) to judge over God himself. God unwittingly raises Job's spiritual consciousness by humiliating him, and in doing so God pronounces judgment on himself and gives man moral satisfaction.

God's behavior is that of an unconscious being who cannot be judged morally. God is a phenomenon and, as Job says in the Bible, "not a man." Not human and, in certain respects, less than human.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I don't think so.

I believe in the same God as the Christians, and I don't believe in either Jesus or their depiction of Satan. Of course, some of that would change if one is actually professing to be a Christian.

thau

I find your two signature quotes much more interesting than your questions here.

There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Where is the honor in that? Pretty much allows the individual to do as he pleases, does it not? What a convenient philosophy --- accountable to no rules and nobody. I might have suggested to Lord Byron to sit in on an exorcism being conducted by a Catholic priest. It might open his eyes a bit and create less doubt.

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. - William Wordsworth

I am not objecting to these words, and I know next to nothing about William Wordsworth. Except. In one of his poems he utters a line that many (I have read) consider to be the most beautiful and concise honors given to the Mother of Jesus Christ --- Mary.

“…our tainted nature’s solitary boast” !!!

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

Does Satanism require God?

Buddhism has Māra without having a creator god. Māra is said to seek to gain control over others, speaks through other beings, and insists that one must obey a creator god.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
The Christian idea of Satan is necessary for the Christian religion. There must exist someone (Satan) from which to be 'saved' from.

In the Book of Job Satan proves that Man has the ability to stand morally higher than god and thus the creature surpasses the creator!

Job sees correctly even when conscious reason is blind and impotent. God's dual nature is revealed. Job, in spite of his impotence, is set up by Satan (clever devil) to judge over God himself. God unwittingly raises Job's spiritual consciousness by humiliating him, and in doing so God pronounces judgment on himself and gives man moral satisfaction.

God's behavior is that of an unconscious being who cannot be judged morally. God is a phenomenon and, as Job says in the Bible, "not a man." Not human and, in certain respects, less than human.

Where'd you get your ideas?