• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Catholic Liturgy and the Mormon Temple

jonny

This is an interesting article that shows the similarities between Catholic rituals and the rituals in the LDS temple. Obviously it doesn't discuss the LDS rituals, but anyone who has been to the temple can see many similarities.

Some examples:
  • If possible, the early church buildings were constructed in an east-west direction in the tradition of the temple at Jerusalem. The First LDS temples were also constructed along that orientation.
  • The earliest basilicas were divided into three parts: first, the atrium or forecourt; then the church proper with the area for the congregation; and, finally, set off by a barrier, the holy place for the altar and the officiating clergy.
  • The Christian sanctuary, insofar as it was a temple' recalled in some way the holy of holies, in the temple of Jerusalem
  • Then the administrant anoints the child with the oil. This ordinance was also performed anciently as evidenced again by Cyril of Jerusalem, who relates the significance and procedure as follows:
    • The oil is applied symbolically to your forehead and your other senses. . . . you were first anointed on the forehead . . . then on your ears . . . then on the nostrils . . . afterwards on your breast.
  • After the application of water and oil, the person is endowed with a new white garment since he is now considered reborn, a new being, and needs clothes.
  • the giving of new names to those entering monasteries
  • the ancient practice of keeping men and women separate in the church, just as they were kept separate in the temple at Jerusalem
  • the use of a veil or covering for women's heads
  • the atrium of the church as a symbol of paradise or the garden of Eden
  • the porter at the door of the chapel in the primitive church to ensure that only worthy persons entered
  • details of ritual clothing and related symbolism
  • altars and veils in church buildings
  • the use of the All-seeing Eye as a symbol in Renaissance and Baroque churches (shown in photographs of two old churches in Germany)
  • the raising of the hands of the priest done anciently
  • the hand symbol of a hollowed palm in the left hand when approaching the altar (see Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures, 23:21-22)
  • the prayer offered for the church and the world by the priest which was repeated by the congregation, praying for names of people written on folded parchments (diptychs), especially for those who were ill or needed special consideration
  • the ritual embrace and "kiss of peace" to welcome the initiate into the community
  • ritual knocking (three times) with a hammer on the portal of a door, now acted out in the ritual of the Porta Santa at St. Peter in Rome, representing entry of the children of God into the presence of the Lord.
http://abish.byui.edu/reserve/LenhartM/110/CatholicLiturgyandthetemple.htm

also from: http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_masons.shtml

What I find fascinating is the similarities of Purgatory in the Catholic religion and Spirit Prison/Spirit Paradise in LDS theology.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What I find fascinating is the similarities of Purgatory in the Catholic religion and Spirit Prison/Spirit Paradise in LDS theology.
Welcome to the forums, hispanicmormon. Are you a convert from Catholicism? (My husband is also a hispanic Mormon, by the way.)

I'm from Arizona. And where are you from? And were you born into the church or a convert? What about your husband? That's cool that he's a Hispanic Mormon too!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm from Arizona. And where are you from? And were you born into the church or a convert? What about your husband? That's cool that he's a Hispanic Mormon too!
My husband and I live in Salt Lake City. We were both born into the Church. His parents (both hispanic) were converts. His mom was from New Mexico and his dad was originally from Guadalajara, Mexico. He still has some family down there.