• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The case for feminist revolution

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Yeah I think so

Ok, we are on the same wavelength then.

This reminds me in a way of the reactions to menstrual extraction, which for all intents and purposes, is not only a method of shortening a menses down to the length of the at-home procedure, but is used around the world in homes where early term abortions are sought if clinics are illegal or are inaccessible.

Horrorble

Ok, we are on the same wavelength then.

This reminds me in a way of the reactions to menstrual extraction, which for all intents and purposes, is not only a method of shortening a menses down to the length of the at-home procedure, but is used around the world in homes where early term abortions are sought if clinics are illegal or are inaccessible.

Do you mean the comments in this thread?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Do you mean the comments in this thread?

Some of them, yes. Women who seek complete control over their reproductive/biological functions get visceral reactions. There is a fear that if we did that, the human species would wipe itself out. Not many people are aware of how deeply ingrained in culture the assumption that women's reproductive functions are to be monitored remotely. Not just by men but by other women.

I've been thinking of elective hysterectomy as of late once I'm a good candidate for surgery. The question is "why?" from my friends and family expecting me to say that I'm done having children. Quite honestly, I'm just done with my reproductive system itself.

It's as if I'm seen as hating my own identity or my own gender when I express my sentiments. I really don't. And I'm menopausal in this stage in my life. So, it's wildly radical for a society to consider women overall to say "enough" on a large scale to reproductive functions internally.

Horrorble

Some of them, yes. Women who seek complete control over their reproductive/biological functions get visceral reactions. There is a fear that if we did that, the human species would wipe itself out. Not many people are aware of how deeply ingrained in culture the assumption that women's reproductive functions are to be monitored remotely. Not just by men but by other women.

I've been thinking of elective hysterectomy as of late once I'm a good candidate for surgery. The question is "why?" from my friends and family expecting me to say that I'm done having children. Quite honestly, I'm just done with my reproductive system itself.

It's as if I'm seen as hating my own identity or my own gender when I express my sentiments. I really don't. And I'm menopausal in this stage in my life. So, it's wildly radical for a society to consider women overall to say "enough" on a large scale to reproductive functions internally.

I would also argue that it's not just fear regarding the human species wiping itself out but fear regarding complete female independance from males.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Currently reading the Dialetic of Sex: the case for feminist revolution-Firestone argues that women are biologically dependant on men via pregnancy and child rearing

This implies that, as a woman, having a baby is mandatory. Also, men are equally dependent on women to have a child as well. Also, there is artificial insemination, surrogacy, adoption, etc.

Horrorble

This implies that, as a woman, having a baby is mandatory. Also, men are equally dependent on women to have a child as well. Also, there is artificial insemination, surrogacy, adoption, etc.
Not really, she's talking about women as a class and that the natural reproductive system lead to the first division of labour. (Maybe try the wiki summary)
It's not about being dependant for a child, its about the nature of that dependance, it's about the actual physical vulnerablity that led to the first division on labour.
Artifical insemination still creates the same issues in her argument.
Surrogacy still requires reproductive labour.
Adoption still requires reproductive labour.
Her argument is to do away with the nuclear family and raise children as a community.

Horrorble

I think the issue is how will it would work in a pragmatic way, since most pregnancies are oppsy doppsy pregnancies.
But then the discourse about how we have sex came after this book so. But still that's an issue.