• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Buddha's Blessings

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've called myself a Buddhist a short five years of my life when those three years I practiced at a temple and the last two was more modern Buddhist sect. I've been to a Vietnamese temple where monks ask for The Buddha's blessings. I have done the same in the manner appropriate to the monastery. Though, I don't understand it as much via the christian area I grown up in. I wasn't indoctrinated but I live in an indoctrinated society where if you don't believe in god you're not "normal."

So, today, after breakfast at a restaurant, I was waiting in line to pay and saw a Buddhist monk. I didn't know she was Buddhist until I asked. We had a good talk and she invited me to her temple near here. She said I could become a formal Buddhist (taking the vows) since I already believe in all the Buddha's teachings just I don't practice them.

However, I never looked into how The Buddha blesses people. I experienced it but I wanted to know more about Buddhism and its relation to how The Buddha blesses and Buddhist here how they see blessings from The Buddha. I don't know how many sects are on RF but I thought I'd ask.​

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What kind of blessings come from Buddha?

Maybe a thank you through veneration maybe?

Rinchen

This is just my opinion, validate what I say with a teacher.

"We are the blessing lineage..." -Dharma Lord Gampopa

However, blessing in Buddhism is a little different than it is perceived in other religions and traditions.

Blessing in Buddhism everything, at least according to the Tradition I follow (Kagyu).

The immediate blessing is having a reliable refuge here in Samsara, which is the Triple Gem. It is only the Triple Gem which will give you what is necessary to liberate yourself from Samsara. Buddhism teaches us to observe ourselves, to be present with ourselves, and to be mindful of what is occurring at all times. Through self-reflection we begin to find our faults, our shortcomings, and what we need to change to live a life of freedom. When we commit ourselves and take refuge in the Triple Gem, we are committing ourselves to a life of mindfulness and transformation for the benefit of all beings. All of this in itself is a blessing, a blessing to become aware of the magical aspect of our day to day experience. Remember, Samsara and Nirvana are non-dual. Also, It is quite the blessing to have a tradition that is 2,500yrs old which has used all of that time to observe the mind, map it out, and give us techniques to give birth to compassion and loving-kindness.

So some the blessings of Buddhism, when you get down to it, is the opening of ourselves to the naked experience of our daily life without any infatuation, without romanticizing, accepting or denying any aspect of it. And, at the end of the day, doing all of this for the benefit of sentient beings.

I hope this helps, somewhat.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How do you mean? Does he give thanks to people?

I was reading the Mangala Sutta and it talked about blessings.

The monk said The Buddha must have brought us together. That made me think a bit.

Reflecting upon the Buddha's teachings , giving thanks, noting the benefit that comes from the practices of Buddhism, the Buddha is really yourself at the end of the day, by which thanks and blessings come about.

Buddha thanking Buddha. Buddha/Buddha thanking.

A blessing made through realisation.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This is just my opinion, validate what I say with a teacher.

"We are the blessing lineage..." -Dharma Lord Gampopa

However, blessing in Buddhism is a little different than it is perceived in other religions and traditions.

Blessing in Buddhism everything, at least according to the Tradition I follow (Kagyu).

The immediate blessing is having a reliable refuge here in Samsara, which is the Triple Gem. It is only the Triple Gem which will give you what is necessary to liberate yourself from Samsara. Buddhism teaches us to observe ourselves, to be present with ourselves, and to be mindful of what is occurring at all times. Through self-reflection we begin to find our faults, our shortcomings, and what we need to change to live a life of freedom. When we commit ourselves and take refuge in the Triple Gem, we are committing ourselves to a life of mindfulness and transformation for the benefit of all beings. All of this in itself is a blessing, a blessing to become aware of the magical aspect of our day to day experience. Remember, Samsara and Nirvana are non-dual. Also, It is quite the blessing to have a tradition that is 2,500yrs old which has used all of that time to observe the mind, map it out, and give us techniques to give birth to compassion and loving-kindness.

So some the blessings of Buddhism, when you get down to it, is the opening of ourselves to the naked experience of our daily life without any infatuation, without romanticizing, accepting or denying any aspect of it. And, at the end of the day, doing all of this for the benefit of sentient beings.

I hope this helps, somewhat.

Reflecting upon the Buddha's teachings , giving thanks, noting the benefit that comes from the practices of Buddhism, the Buddha is really yourself at the end of the day, by which thanks and blessings come about.

Buddha thanking Buddha. Buddha/Buddha thanking.

A blessing made through realisation.

Couldn't figure who to quote since I like both of your posts; so...

I was thinking of going to the center and hearing the Dhamma talks they have on Saturdays. I'd have to call since I forgot the time but they have that and meditation, of course. Other than meditation, I was thinking of where to start. I honestly thought it was a blessing to meet this woman and always been pulled back to practice; though, when she said "it must have been The Buddha" I couldn't figure how to translate that.

Kagyu, I haven't heard of that tradition. I looked at the monastery's site and I honestly don't know what tradition she practices other than it is a Vietnamese monastery.

Buddha giving thanks to Buddha-I like that.

LukeS

I studied gelugpa / kadampa buddhism - a vidualised buddha blesses by emanating streams of light and nectar, purifying our mind and negative karma.

The visualised buddha can be seen as part of the "field of merit" ie sacred teachers seen in front of us, on their lotus sun and moon seats, and to be offered the prayer of 7 limbs etc. before they bless us.

For example at the heart of this field is Avelokiteshvara. 1000-Armed Avalokiteshvara: Nyung Nä Merit Field...

In recieveing their blessings we become more like unto them, its like psychological introjection, which is kind of what Tibetan tantra is about.

LukeS

I was told that blessings are like radio waves. This can have a mystic aspect, but also a practical one of tuning into the Buddhist lifestyle.