• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Buddha Explains Universal Mind

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
your argument again consists of strawmen. My claim youve quoted abundantly now, as if i somehow forgot, states that materialism can explain observable phenomena, not that it proves with scientific certainty any of the posxible clsims. If it did then it would just be science obviously. I offered a possiblee explanation and also stated that if it was a point particle it wouldnt have a smaller constituent. It would already be infitesimally small. And how am I qualifying the claim? Some how you keep suggesting the strawman that my position was that all the possible explanations that could be generated with a materialist framework are provable and testable. My statement needs no qualification, which is your straw man, because it just says that materialism is testable and falsifiable, not that all the possibilities it brings up are. This is entirely consistent with what I said and accurately admits the relatively minor, compred to universal consciousnes, limitations. I laugh again at your double standard that you dont require anything even close to this much rigor for oc. guess what, ? oc still has to be justified rationally.

EIther demonstrste a theory of everyting to confirm that all observable phenomena follow mathematical laws or show one observable thibg which cannot be explained by logic or mathematics. Just one counter example. I even brought this up in the previous post because I know how predictable you are and that you would commit this blatant fallacy.

I mean these kinds of logical fallcies are probably what got you into oc in the first place. CLearly you dont require logic or rationality to make these arguments against materialism, so it's no different with oc.

When you say that my arguments and quotes are irrelevant without any justification you're just giving up. I can just say that your unsophisticated understanding of my arguments and your assertions about my suppossed rhetoric renders your position entirely flaccid. And we'll get no where because we've both just made useless unsupported claims. You're starting a pissing contest and im just not interested. If you show how a quote that states that an electron could possibly be composed of a string is irrelevant to the question of what an electron is composed of then be my guest, but right now your youre just embarassing yourself by claiming i havent answered your question over and over again when any 4th grader could tell you ive answered that question every time youve claimed i didnt. Clearly youre just making a red herring becsuse it simply isnt possible that someone as competent as you could miss my answer so many times now.
I asked four quite specific questions as a result of your claim that materialism can explain everything.....subatomic particles, their constituents, etc., and such explanation is testable, and falsifiable...yes? And the prattle you went with, and are still going on with is irrelevant because it does not address the specificity of my questions. If you can't provide a relevant explanation that proves that materialism can do the things you claim.....and we have shown you can't.....it is better for you to just accept you were wrong...;)

serp777

I never said it was irrational; I said it is not based on Reason.

It was around long before science ever came on the scene.

I concede nothing. That is only an idea in your mind.

Why are YOU trying to apply Reason, Logic, and Analysis to an experience beyond them, and of which you know nothing about?

How do I know it's true? Because I see that it is true.

Lol if its not rational then its irrational by definition. Not rational and irrational are synonymous. It means it doesn't coincide with the rational, the logical, or the reasonable.

How do I know it's true? Because I see that it is true [/QUOTE[

Ah, you know its true because you see its true, and the sight therefore shows you its true. Incredible insight. You know you're correct because you see your right. Do you see how this could go around in an infinite loop, kind of like circular logic?

I concede nothing. That is only an idea in your mind.
Yes you do. If you can't argue rationally then you concede the debate by fault. Debate requires rationality, its as simple as that. So yes its obviously an idea in my mind, where else would this idea be? But its a correct idea because

Why are YOU trying to apply Reason, Logic, and Analysis to an experience beyond them, and of which you know nothing about?
Universal consciousness isn't an experience lmao. Its an ambiguous, crytpic assertion based on no rationality, evidence, or logic. The reason why I try to apply logic is beacuse this is the debate portion of the forum. You use logic and rationality to postualte and counter arguments. Again, its incredibly fail that you're trying to rationally justify that rationality isn't sufficient. Its completely hypocritical and a blatant double standard. You haven't answered this argument each time. Since its a debate thread, its pretty incredibly naive to not expect me to use rationality to debate.

For example. How do I know its false? Because I rationally know that its false. Both arguments are equally fail for obvious reasons.

serp777

I asked four quite specific questions as a result of your claim that materialism can explain everything.....subatomic particles, their constituents, etc., and such explanation is testable, and falsifiable...yes? And the prattle you went with, and are still going on with is irrelevant because it does not address the specificity of my questions. If you can't provide a relevant explanation that proves that materialism can do the things you claim.....and we have shown you can't.....it is better for you to just accept you were wrong...;)

asked four quite specific questions as a result of your claim that materialism can explain everything.....subatomic particles, their constituents, etc., and such explanation is testable, and falsifiable...yes?
HAHA, Interesting how you didn't quote my claim this time, and instead constructed YET ANOTHER STRAWMAN.

"Materialism can explain everything on the other hand--subatomic particles, their constituents, and the laws of which they follow are capable of providing any explanation about any observable phenomena. Its testable, and falsifiable, and predicts ways in which phenomena can be explained."

Ill explain one more time but im pretty sure you're just incapable of understanding the subtlety of the argument here. Materialism can explain everything and is falsifiable by showing one instance where an observed phenomena doesn't follow mathematical laws, or by finding a theory of everything and

That doesn't mean that every possible material explanation that materialism comes up with is necessarily falsifiable, like the multiverse for example, which could be a possible explanation for certain propositions. So while materialism is falsifiable, not all possible materialist explanations are falsifiable. An important distinct but one you cannot seem to understand. If you don't understand this fairly obvious, but subtle point then I think we should just stop talking.Another thing is that just because a materialist possible explanation appears to be unfalsifiable doesn't mean its off the table as impossible. It may become possible to falsify in the future. But something like God isn't off the table either as a possibility, its just the point of materialism is that everything can be explained with something following particular laws so we dont need anything supernatural as has been the progress of science so far.

You're impossible to debate with and Your arguments and strawmen are terrible. You refuse to see what a fourth grader could see when I offered several possibilites. Debate with you is basically pointless because you can't even justify how anything i've said is irrelevant. I definitely won't accept Im wrong though because you're simply turning this into a pissing contest;
You claim things are irrelevant, and then don't justify your nonsense claim at all; you just regurgitate it over and over again like a broken record. I asked you to explain how postulating strings as a possible materialist explanation was irrelevant to the question of what electrons were composed of . String theory may or may not be testable, we don't know yet because physics hasn't gotten that far. Its a possible explanation though, and string theory might be disprovable if we develop a theory of everything. Again, the truth or falsehood of materialism, as according to my definition, does not

You just say it is irrelevant when you're being completely facetious , so its hopeless. Apparently its only relevant whether it coincides with your limited worldview. Honestly you're probably just trolling me now so good job, you've succeeded in making me waste time writing to someone who refuses to read and listen to my claims, and then just asserts that i haven't answered the questions. I gave you several possible explanations.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Lol if its not rational then its irrational by definition. Not rational and irrational are synonymous. It means it doesn't coincide with the rational, the logical, or the reasonable.

Rational and irrational are a polar pair of opposites on a continuum, each defining what conforms to the structure of Reason. UC is not based upon Reason, because it is not a product of thought as Reason is, so it can neither be rational nor irrational. It is non-rational. Reason cannot, for example, explain WHY fluctuations in the Quanum and Higgs fields create virtual mass, or why the brain can respond to another brain in a non-local manner, which has been demonstrated scientifically, BTW, here:

Ah, you know its true because you see its true, and the sight therefore shows you its true. Incredible insight. You know you're correct because you see your right. Do you see how this could go around in an infinite loop, kind of like circular logic?

No.

I'm not correct; IT'S correct, but correct in this case does not mean right as opposed to wrong. It simply means to see things as they are. IT'S correct because it is not a personal view.

Yes you do. If you can't argue rationally then you concede the debate by fault. Debate requires rationality, its as simple as that. So yes its obviously an idea in my mind, where else would this idea be? But its a correct idea because

No, you think I am conceding, but as there is nothing to concede, there can be no concession. Maybe debate requires rationality in YOUR world, but I told you at the outset: you debate your way and I'll debate mine. If you are arguing rationally, and I stop you and silently point to something I want you to understand without words, and you SEE and UNDERSTAND what i am referring to, then something useful has been communicated without rationality, without irrationality. But seeing clearly requires that the constant chatter of the rational mind comes to a standstill.

Universal consciousness isn't an experience lmao. Its an ambiguous, crytpic assertion based on no rationality, evidence, or logic. The reason why I try to apply logic is beacuse this is the debate portion of the forum. You use logic and rationality to postualte and counter arguments. Again, its incredibly fail that you're trying to rationally justify that rationality isn't sufficient. Its completely hypocritical and a blatant double standard. You haven't answered this argument each time. Since its a debate thread, its pretty incredibly naive to not expect me to use rationality to debate.
For example. How do I know its false? Because I rationally know that its false. Both arguments are equally fail for obvious reasons.

YOU'RE the one who barged into this thread like a bull in a China shop with guns a blazing, thinking to make the discussion conform to Reason, Logic, and Analysis, but you failed to see the sign at the door. The debate is about whether the Buddha actually was talking about Universal Mind. The Buddha's experience and insight was that of a mystic, not a scientist. It was not about what he concluded about Reality via rational thought, but via seeing directly into the true nature of things. So we have to discuss the topic in those terms. But you want to discuss the topic in YOUR terms, which do not apply. It's sort of like trying to define God; it cannot be done in positive terms; we can only talk about what God is not. Factual knowledge consists of acquiring, day by day, more and more information, the idea that one will be in possession of great knowledge at some point. But Eastern wisdom doesn't work that way; it consists of subtracting, day by day, and then subtracting yet again, until there is nothing, to reveal what was obscured, sort of like how a sculptor removes material to reveal the form within. It is only against the background of Nothingness that Everything can exist. And so, in order to get a glimpse of Universal Mind, something must give, and that is the baggage of the conditioned mind, which includes science and religion. All we can do here is to provide queues, fingers pointing to the moon, to reveal that which still stands in the way of the Enlightened Mind. But rock does not give way easily, although over time, water will eventually wear it down.

Let all sharpness be blunted,

All tangles untied,
All glare tempered.
All dust smoothed.
This is called the mysterious leveling.

Tao te Ching, Ch. 56

This is how we learn to see again, that which is, not that which the rational mind thinks it is.

Universal Mind cannot be proven nor disproven via Reason, Logic, or Analysis. It can only be experienced directly. Having said that, the mind of perceptual reality must first be subdued. As the great yogi Patanjali stated:

'yoga [ie; union with the Ultimate Reality] is the cessation of all mental activity'

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
HAHA, Interesting how you didn't quote my claim this time, and instead constructed YET ANOTHER STRAWMAN.

"Materialism can explain everything on the other hand--subatomic particles, their constituents, and the laws of which they follow are capable of providing any explanation about any observable phenomena. Its testable, and falsifiable, and predicts ways in which phenomena can be explained."

Ill explain one more time but im pretty sure you're just incapable of understanding the subtlety of the argument here. Materialism can explain everything and is falsifiable by showing one instance where an observed phenomena doesn't follow mathematical laws, or by finding a theory of everything and

That doesn't mean that every possible material explanation that materialism comes up with is necessarily falsifiable, like the multiverse for example, which could be a possible explanation for certain propositions. So while materialism is falsifiable, not all possible materialist explanations are falsifiable. An important distinct but one you cannot seem to understand. If you don't understand this fairly obvious, but subtle point then I think we should just stop talking.Another thing is that just because a materialist possible explanation appears to be unfalsifiable doesn't mean its off the table as impossible. It may become possible to falsify in the future. But something like God isn't off the table either as a possibility, its just the point of materialism is that everything can be explained with something following particular laws so we dont need anything supernatural as has been the progress of science so far.

You're impossible to debate with and Your arguments and strawmen are terrible. You refuse to see what a fourth grader could see when I offered several possibilites. Debate with you is basically pointless because you can't even justify how anything i've said is irrelevant. I definitely won't accept Im wrong though because you're simply turning this into a pissing contest;
You claim things are irrelevant, and then don't justify your nonsense claim at all; you just regurgitate it over and over again like a broken record. I asked you to explain how postulating strings as a possible materialist explanation was irrelevant to the question of what electrons were composed of . String theory may or may not be testable, we don't know yet because physics hasn't gotten that far. Its a possible explanation though, and string theory might be disprovable if we develop a theory of everything. Again, the truth or falsehood of materialism, as according to my definition, does not

You just say it is irrelevant when you're being completely facetious , so its hopeless. Apparently its only relevant whether it coincides with your limited worldview. Honestly you're probably just trolling me now so good job, you've succeeded in making me waste time writing to someone who refuses to read and listen to my claims, and then just asserts that i haven't answered the questions. I gave you several possible explanations.
Be that as it may...you are only being asked what is the underlying constituent of an electron....a specific question that deserves a straight forward answer...if you do not know.....then just say so...but verbose attempts at obfuscation will just be ignored and the question reset....got it?

If you believe strings are the underlying constituent...just say so simply....I am not asking for an description of the hypothetical theory behind them at this juncture... got it?

serp777

Be that as it may...you are only being asked what is the underlying constituent of an electron....a specific question that deserves a straight forward answer...if you do not know.....then just say so...but verbose attempts at obfuscation will just be ignored and the question reset....got it?

If you believe strings are the underlying constituent...just say so simply....I am not asking for an description of the hypothetical theory behind them at this juncture... got it?

you are only being asked what is the underlying constituent of an electron.
Actually I am being asked what materialism can propose in regards to this question since this is directly related to my claim about materialism. You shown this by quoting my claim several times now and failing to poke holes in it or get me to try and qualify my statement.

You got a straight forwards answer about 10 times. Im not sure how much straighter I can make "a string could form an electron". Seems blatantly obvious to me and any fourth grader.

I said string are a possible explanation, got it? Ive done so about 10 times now, including the first if you go back. We're not discussing my beliefs, we're discussing my claim about materialism with respect to your questions posed way back. I believe strings are a possible explanation that have merrit. I don't claim to know with any certainty that they are the truth of reality.

You were literally responding to my claim which was that materialism can explain all observable phenomena by utilizing the laws of physics and by extension material. I showed you a possibility that coincides with the statement i made. I am completely bewildered by your inability to accept this.

[QUOTE ]verbose attempts at obfuscation will just be ignored [/QUOTE]
Ah, you don't understand it, therefore it must be obfuscation. I asked you to show how it was irrelevant and how my arguments have obfuscated things. You haven't done so; obviously because you're just making that garbage up so you don't have to address it. You claim over and over that its irrelevant or whatever without actually showing how.If you can't address it reasonably then just say so.

serp777

Rational and irrational are a polar pair of opposites on a continuum, each defining what conforms to the structure of Reason. UC is not based upon Reason, because it is not a product of thought as Reason is, so it can neither be rational nor irrational. It is non-rational. Reason cannot, for example, explain WHY fluctuations in the Quanum and Higgs fields create virtual mass, or why the brain can respond to another brain in a non-local manner, which has been demonstrated scientifically, BTW, here:

No.

I'm not correct; IT'S correct, but correct in this case does not mean right as opposed to wrong. It simply means to see things as they are. IT'S correct because it is not a personal view.

No, you think I am conceding, but as there is nothing to concede, there can be no concession. Maybe debate requires rationality in YOUR world, but I told you at the outset: you debate your way and I'll debate mine. If you are arguing rationally, and I stop you and silently point to something I want you to understand without words, and you SEE and UNDERSTAND what i am referring to, then something useful has been communicated without rationality, without irrationality. But seeing clearly requires that the constant chatter of the rational mind comes to a standstill.

YOU'RE the one who barged into this thread like a bull in a China shop with guns a blazing, thinking to make the discussion conform to Reason, Logic, and Analysis, but you failed to see the sign at the door. The debate is about whether the Buddha actually was talking about Universal Mind. The Buddha's experience and insight was that of a mystic, not a scientist. It was not about what he concluded about Reality via rational thought, but via seeing directly into the true nature of things. So we have to discuss the topic in those terms. But you want to discuss the topic in YOUR terms, which do not apply. It's sort of like trying to define God; it cannot be done in positive terms; we can only talk about what God is not. Factual knowledge consists of acquiring, day by day, more and more information, the idea that one will be in possession of great knowledge at some point. But Eastern wisdom doesn't work that way; it consists of subtracting, day by day, and then subtracting yet again, until there is nothing, to reveal what was obscured, sort of like how a sculptor removes material to reveal the form within. It is only against the background of Nothingness that Everything can exist. And so, in order to get a glimpse of Universal Mind, something must give, and that is the baggage of the conditioned mind, which includes science and religion. All we can do here is to provide queues, fingers pointing to the moon, to reveal that which still stands in the way of the Enlightened Mind. But rock does not give way easily, although over time, water will eventually wear it down.

Let all sharpness be blunted,

All tangles untied,
All glare tempered.
All dust smoothed.
This is called the mysterious leveling.

Tao te Ching, Ch. 56

This is how we learn to see again, that which is, not that which the rational mind thinks it is.

Universal Mind cannot be proven nor disproven via Reason, Logic, or Analysis. It can only be experienced directly. Having said that, the mind of perceptual reality must first be subdued. As the great yogi Patanjali stated:

'yoga [ie; union with the Ultimate Reality] is the cessation of all mental activity'
Rational and irrational are a polar pair of opposites on a continuum, each defining what conforms to the structure of Reason. UC is not based upon Reason, because it is not a product of thought as Reason is, so it can neither be rational nor irrational. It is non-rational.

Well I already know its not based on the rational or the logical. I've established that. We agree its not rational and not logical. Irrational simply means "not logical or reasonable."

So logical and not logical is synonymous with rational and irrational by definition. Since UC is not logical, it therefore has to be irrational. So since its irrational and illogical, how is it superior to leprechauns, or Zeus, or Thor, or Deepak Chopra talking about the superposition of possibilities that is consciousness? It isn't because all don't depend on logic. So far all of reality that has been reliably observed has followed logical rules. The computer you're typing about irrationality on works because of logic. It doesn't need a universal consciousness to function, so why should anything else? In other words even if UC exists its completely flaccid--its worthless and predicts nothing or produces nothing concrete. Instead of wasting your time with irrational garbage like UC, you could be doing something useful like pursuing a medical degree to research novel medications, or develop new computer systems that help companies save money, hire more employees, and cut back on greenhouse emissions while improving science in general. So why pursue something to unbelievably useless even if its true? But i digress--the uselessness of the theory doesn't imply anything about the truth of UC. Ill show how UC is likely to be false below.

But anyways a debate thread, what did you expect? Did you expect me to come in here and be totally irrational? Did you expect me not to use rationality? Furthermore the initial topic of whether the buddha explains the universal consciousness is not only lame and relatively uninteresting in terms of debating, but the thread has been hijacked long before me by people who reject these silly illusions of UC which are barely "supported" by over the top, grandiose analogies and poems as well as assertions. The much more interesting question to debate is clearly whether or not the universal consciousness exists .
There's no reason why a thread can't shift gears and switch to something more relevant and more worthy of discussion.

Because who cares whether the buddha explains the universal consciousness if the UC is just an imagined non sequitor? To prove that the initial thread topic is worth discussing you need to show that UC is a worthwhile topic to exlore. So far none of your analogies have conveyed and such indication that UC is possibly true. Therefore it is about as worthwhile to discuss whether the buddha explains it as it is to discuss whether the buddha explains leprechauns.

You've presumed here that the UC is correct and that through analogies you are trying to open the door for me, or whatever, to see the truth of something unimaginably. Its like you're unwilling to accept that you could be wrong. I conceded, for instance, that its possible that UC could exist and that it could in fact be explained through materialism. If there is an observable mechanism that interacts somehow with consciousness through some quantum field or something, then its possible i suppose that UC could in fact just become a new aspect of physics and materialism. You seem to have this need to attach a bunch of superfluous, spiritual new age garbage to it though. You give it all these magical qualities which are very cryptic and vague.

I haven't even seen you attempt to describe what consciousness even is for that matter. Lets go back to my lego analogy--i will create another similiar one--and by the way its funny that you reject my analogies but accept your own like I didn't even say anything. At least I respond to your analogies. because you don't understand consciousness, its like trying to build an airplane when you don't understand how lift works, you don't understand propulsion, and you don't understand the materials or the sufficient configuration of materials required to build the plane. So saying that you know what a plane is and that you have experienced flight on this plane is about as ridiculous a claim you can make. This is identical to the advanced illusions your mind can construct in regards to consciousness--its very powerful at decieving people. Its why we get so many mutually exclusive religions

Again I highlight that you're trying to use rationality to claim that irrationality, or in other words lack of rationality, is valid in your debate worldview. It makes no sense. I mean if your arguments are going to consist of poems and analogies, then i can cite an equal amount of poems and analogies that will counter yours. I've already cited a few like the legos and stuff.

You have conceded that rationality isn't on your side. You just admitted your debate style doesn't use rationality consistently, except to justify, ironically, that rationality isn't sufficient. So yes my debate requires rationality because we can only make a reliable conclusion with rationality. The example of seeing and understanding you pointed out directly depends on, and reflects rationality.

Suppose you point down to the floor where a spilled liquid is moving towards uninsulated electrical wires and expensive equipment. First you think that you should draw my attention towards the predicament, and so you do so by pointing which is a well known tool to convey to you that you should shift your attention. Knowing that you know this, i recognize its probably something worth looking at and I look. Immediately I understand why you were pointing there and that it was indeed worth looking at. I conclude that Since you pointed me in that direction, so taht situation, you want me to handle it and prevent it from destroying the equipment. Thus after making this sub conscious deduction, i move into save the equipment, and all that was conveyed with pointing, pretty much institutionally. So when you say without rationality, that's actually a fallacy. it depends on a number of key fundamental logical axioms about society, as well as the effect certain actions will have on others. It requires the rationale use of a theory of mind.

So the chatter as you put it stops, but your brain instinctual understands the social logic as well as the logical inference of what will happen if the liquid reaches the expensive equipment and uninsulated wires. Its such basic rationality that you don't need to actively process it, but its rationality nevertheless.

But overall what you're doing isn't really debating. Its spouting assertions over and over again, praying that someone listens. Its like a thread of proseylization. Its not better than any of the religions out there.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Actually I am being asked what materialism can propose in regards to this question since this is directly related to my claim about materialism. You shown this by quoting my claim several times now and failing to poke holes in it or get me to try and qualify my statement.

You got a straight forwards answer about 10 times. Im not sure how much straighter I can make "a string could form an electron". Seems blatantly obvious to me and any fourth grader.

I said string are a possible explanation, got it? Ive done so about 10 times now, including the first if you go back. We're not discussing my beliefs, we're discussing my claim about materialism with respect to your questions posed way back. I believe strings are a possible explanation that have merrit. I don't claim to know with any certainty that they are the truth of reality.

You were literally responding to my claim which was that materialism can explain all observable phenomena by utilizing the laws of physics and by extension material. I showed you a possibility that coincides with the statement i made. I am completely bewildered by your inability to accept this.verbose attempts at obfuscation will just be ignored

Ah, you don't understand it, therefore it must be obfuscation. I asked you to show how it was irrelevant and how my arguments have obfuscated things. You haven't done so; obviously because you're just making that garbage up so you don't have to address it.
You claim over and over that its irrelevant or whatever without actually showing how.If you can't address it reasonably then just say so.
And so it goes on.....another answer that is not straight forward...."I believe strings are a possible explanation that have merrit"
Not materialism explains it thus...but 'I believe...."....not a real explanation...but a "possible explanation".....not a real explanation...but one that "has merit" You are in obfuscating mode still....

Now I repeat....you are only being asked what is the underlying constituent of an electron which you claimed materialism can deliver on.......a specific question that deserves a straight forward answer...if you do not know.....then just say so...but verbose attempts at obfuscation will just be ignored and the question reset....got it? Now I am not interested in your beliefs, but the actual scientific explanation that can show me the underlying constituent of an electron....not a possible constituent....not a meritorious explanation...not even a explanation that is straight forward answer about some secondary aspect of the primary underlying constituent of the electron....only the primary essence of what constitutes the form of an electron will suffice...got it?

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Being happy or not as a result of a theory is irrelevant to its truth. Its not about making me happy so thats a red herring.

I agree the truth, whatever that is is irrelevant to being happy, but it's not a red herring, it's a goal. Making someone happy is more important than convincing them of some truth.

I suppose they are both an ego thing, convincing folks of the truth, being able to make them happy. Whatever it is you feel like you need to do.

Materialism can explain whatever experience you've had. The same experiences can be generated with magnetic fields or certain drugs.

Well that's not particularly exciting. People say the same thing about God or generally whatever they believe in. People believe what they believe usually because they feel it can explain whatever they feel needs to be explained. Being able to able to explain something is useful if you want to convince someone of something, just not very unique.

Your personal experiences cannot possibly suggest universal consciousness either. Its extremely arrogant to say though, that because you experienced or felt something, therefore it must be true; its like you're suggesting that somehow your brain and physiology and feelings are the most reliable sources of information into the truth of the universe. Yeah right. Your experiences and feelings can be wrong, and if they cant be wrong then go pick the winning lottery numbers based on your feeelings. The point is that your feelings and experiences are not 100% reliable and if you're just going to say that you know truth because you have felt or experienced something, which therefore informs you that you are truth, is just irrational and circular and i cant possibly argue with something like that which is completely unfalsifiable.

Not really saying any of that. Belief however can motivate people. People believe in the constitution. People believe in natural law. People believe in freedom and free speech.

Please question materialism. The advantage of the theory is that it is falsifiable. You haven't actually questioned anything in materialsm except your mostly irrelevant experiences, and I can give you an explanation based on chemicals and neural structures in the brain. It would be a plausible theory.

Which does what as far as motivation? I can choose to be happy, I can choose to be sad. I can choose to preserver. I can choose to hope. The chemical processes which come about is pretty much irrelevant to the choice itself.

For example, I read that if you laugh out loud, even if you are sad, your body will physically react as if you were happy and you'll experience happiness. Kind of neat to be able to control your emotions like that. Don't really need to know the electrochemical process behind it. I guess it's interesting, but it doesn't change anything.

However being happy or sad can change the outcome of a situation. Usually I go with happy, but sometimes sadness, or anger gets the response from other folks you are looking for.

godnotgod

Thou art That
So logical and not logical is synonymous with rational and irrational by definition. Since UC is not logical, it therefore has to be irrational.

You don't seem to understand how logic works, do you?

To say that it is irrational still means it is conforming to the parameters of Reason. Once again, UC is not rationally based; IOW, it is neither rational, nor irrational. It is non-rational. Rational and irrational are a pair of opposites in a dual system of classification; UC is outside of duality. It is non-dual in nature.

The implication of 'irrational' is that it is nonsensical. UC does not 'make sense' to the rational mind, simply because it is non-conceptual. It is outside of the sphere of Reason. It does not conform to any concepts originating from rational thought. In fact, nature itself does not conform to conceptual thought, which is why paradox comes into play.

Is it at all conceivable to you that another kind of knowledge can exist outside of the tight confines of Reason, Logic, and Analysis?

I realize all this is scary to a materialist such as yourself, but that is because materialism is a security blanket for the mind. It provides thumb-sucking comfort for one who needs to feel there is 'solid ground' underneath his feet. But someday you will need to leave your old security blanket behind and take a Quantum leap of Faith into the vast Unknown, the verification of which lies in the experience itself, and not in any factual 'proof' of its validity. Then, you will immediately know that the water in a mountain lake is cold without having to prove it. You will be alive for the very first time, because you will be free.

godnotgod

Thou art That
You have conceded that rationality isn't on your side. You just admitted your debate style doesn't use rationality consistently, except to justify, ironically, that rationality isn't sufficient.

It's neither sufficient nor insufficient: it's not part of the equation, period.

So yes my debate requires rationality because we can only make a reliable conclusion with rationality. The example of seeing and understanding you pointed out directly depends on, and reflects rationality.

Suppose you point down to the floor where a spilled liquid is moving towards uninsulated electrical wires and expensive equipment. First you think that you should draw my attention towards the predicament, and so you do so by pointing which is a well known tool to convey to you that you should shift your attention. Knowing that you know this, i recognize its probably something worth looking at and I look. Immediately I understand why you were pointing there and that it was indeed worth looking at. I conclude that Since you pointed me in that direction, so taht situation, you want me to handle it and prevent it from destroying the equipment. Thus after making this sub conscious deduction, i move into save the equipment, and all that was conveyed with pointing, pretty much institutionally. So when you say without rationality, that's actually a fallacy. it depends on a number of key fundamental logical axioms about society, as well as the effect certain actions will have on others. It requires the rationale use of a theory of mind.

So the chatter as you put it stops, but your brain instinctual understands the social logic as well as the logical inference of what will happen if the liquid reaches the expensive equipment and uninsulated wires. Its such basic rationality that you don't need to actively process it, but its rationality nevertheless.

But overall what you're doing isn't really debating. Its spouting assertions over and over again, praying that someone listens. Its like a thread of proseylization. Its not better than any of the religions out there.

Sure, your example works OK because it is still within the sphere of rational thought. But with Higher Consciousness, what is being pointed to is not. It requires a rare moment of openness that is not dependent upon learning, knowledge, preconception, or indoctrination. It is a momentary opening of one's true nature before all that baggage came into the mind. This kind of consciousness is unconditioned consciousness. What you have described in your example is conditioned awareness. You see what I am doing here? All I am doing is pointing to something, but that something cannot be explained or defined logically, rationally, or conceptually, It is telling you what it is not, while at the same time prompting you to 'just see', intuitively, without any thought process going on at all. Some see it, some don't at all, depending on the extent to which one's conditioned awareness is at work. But even when we try to 'just see', we are still unwittingly doing it via the conditioned mind. That is why the tool of meditation is so useful; via meditation, we can subdue the overactive 'monkey mind' of Reason, so that real seeing can come into play.

The world famous haiku poem:

'frogpondleapsplash' (my own rendition)

requires no such 'rational use of a theory of mind' to understand. It requires a complete but spontaneous openness of conscious awareness in which one has no foreknowledge or expectation of the event. In fact, it requires a state Zen refers to as 'no-mind', as the mind is nothing more than a self-created principle, and in reality, is a complete illusion. In FACT, it does not involve an experiencer of the experience called 'I'. There is only the experience itself.

Unlike proselytizing, consciousness has no doctrine to foist on others. It's not a religion or a belief; it's just the way things are.

Last edited:

serp777

And so it goes on.....another answer that is not straight forward...."I believe strings are a possible explanation that have merrit"
Not materialism explains it thus...but 'I believe...."....not a real explanation...but a "possible explanation".....not a real explanation...but one that "has merit" You are in obfuscating mode still....

Now I repeat....you are only being asked what is the underlying constituent of an electron which you claimed materialism can deliver on.......a specific question that deserves a straight forward answer...if you do not know.....then just say so...but verbose attempts at obfuscation will just be ignored and the question reset....got it? Now I am not interested in your beliefs, but the actual scientific explanation that can show me the underlying constituent of an electron....not a possible constituent....not a meritorious explanation...not even a explanation that is straight forward answer about some secondary aspect of the primary underlying constituent of the electron....only the primary essence of what constitutes the form of an electron will suffice...got it?
Haha the only one obfuscating things here is you by playing dumb semantics games with where I said I believe string theory has merit. The obvious implication to any thinking person is that I believe string theory has merit as a materialist explanation and is possible. and you keep repeating that I'm obfuscating things without any justification for that position. if the argument is too complex for you just admit it and we can agree to disagree, got it? got it? got it?

Reread my original claim before you keep pestering me with your strawmen. For about the 100th time my position as you quoted Is that materialism can explain all phenomena that can be observed.

It was never that materialism proves an explanation with certainty. Apparently you have no idea how the scientific method works because not even the most rigorously tested theory is 100% certain. Similarly materialism only offers possibilities like science, although science tends to be much more strident in its pursuit for empirical data to make a possibility more likely . You don't understand materialiim either apparently. A possible explanation is consistent with everything ive said. If youre looking for a certain explanation instead of a possible one, you'll never get it anywhere. Only people with faith have absolute certainty.

So admit that you have no idea how the scientific method or what materialism suggests.

I repeat though --string theory is a possible explanation. I know it's a possible explanation. there's no such thing as a certain explanation in science. Any failure to understand and reply adequately to this very simple explanation to your specific question will result in this simple explanation being repeated to your repeated question. But continuing to reply over and over again the same way without showing how my response obfuscates things will make you a child and ill simply respond to other people here who can actually understand the argument. So far you're the only one who's had this much difficulty

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Haha the only one obfuscating things here is you by playing dumb semantics games with where I said I believe string theory has merit. The obvious implication to any thinking person is that I believe string theory has merit as a materialist explanation and is possible. and you keep repeating that I'm obfuscating things without any justification for that position. if the argument is too complex for you just admit it and we can agree to disagree, got it? got it? got it?

Reread my original claim before you keep pestering me with your strawmen. For about the 100th time my position as you quoted Is that materialism can explain all phenomena that can be observed.

It was never that materialism proves an explanation with certainty. Apparently you have no idea how the scientific method works because not even the most rigorously tested theory is 100% certain. Similarly materialism only offers possibilities like science, although science tends to be much more strident in its pursuit for empirical data to make a possibility more likely . You don't understand materialiim either apparently. A possible explanation is consistent with everything ive said. If youre looking for a certain explanation instead of a possible one, you'll never get it anywhere. Only people with faith have absolute certainty.

So admit that you have no idea how the scientific method or what materialism suggests.

I repeat though --string theory is a possible explanation. I know it's a possible explanation. there's no such thing as a certain explanation in science. Any failure to understand and reply adequately to this very simple explanation to your specific question will result in this simple explanation being repeated to your repeated question. But continuing to reply over and over again the same way without showing how my response obfuscates things will make you a child and ill simply respond to other people here who can actually understand the argument. So far you're the only one who's had this much difficulty
Ok...so you intend to run with string theory as a possibility for a materialist explanation for what is the primary constituent of an electron... But I warned you in the post you quoted that some secondary (meaning hypothetical or mathematical abstraction) aspect of the primary (meaning ultimate or base) underlying constituent of the electron is not an acceptable answer to what constitutes an electron....only the primary itself will suffice.. So therefore my next question to get to the primary is......please explain what the string in string theory is constituted of? If you answer with another nebulous concept that is meant to represent some abstract principle or mathematical factor...then it will not pass muster... If materialism does not know precisely what an electron is made of in real terms and not in terms to represent some hypothetical or mathematical abstract aspect of the theoretical electron....then you should accept the fact that materialism does not know in real terms what an electron is made from....

godnotgod

Thou art That

...but then again, it can't really, according to you.

This is just a load of crap!

godnotgod

Thou art That
If materialism does not know precisely what an electron is made of in real terms and not in terms to represent some hypothetical or mathematical abstract aspect of the theoretical electron....then you should accept the fact that materialism does not know in real terms what an electron is made from....

..or that it is made from any 'material' at all! Seems the 'material' that materialism is based upon is full of holes.

godnotgod

Thou art That
But continuing to reply over and over again the same way without showing how my response obfuscates things will make you a child and ill simply respond to other people here who can actually understand the argument. So far you're the only one who's had this much difficulty

It only appears that way because you circumvent the question.

Not only do you not understand logic, you don't understand statistics either.

No one else has agreed with you.