• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The big bang, something from nothing?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Go ahead but im sure your wrong.

Let's see if you can understand how you said that God is immoral and evil. You posted this earlier:

"I can tell you, there's only thing worse than suffering and that is repeating suffering forever, you better believe and wish to be."

The only way that I can see you posting that, it implies that you believe in a literal hell. An infinite punishment is always immoral and evil for a finite crime. If your version of God is willing to punish someone forever then he is evil and immoral.

That should be very easy to understand.

MonkeyFire

Let's see if you can understand how you said that God is immoral and evil. You posted this earlier:

"I can tell you, there's only thing worse than suffering and that is repeating suffering forever, you better believe and wish to be."

The only way that I can see you posting that, it implies that you believe in a literal hell. An infinite punishment is always immoral and evil for a finite crime. If your version of God is willing to punish someone forever then he is evil and immoral.

That should be very easy to understand.

So believe and wish to be.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So believe and wish to be.
Your posts need to be clearer. Are you saying that you believe hell is real and wish it to be real? If that is the case then you are saying that you are immoral as well. I do not believe that you are really this immoral. You probably know better, but you have too much of an indoctrination into your false beliefs.

MonkeyFire

Your posts need to be clearer. Are you saying that you believe hell is real and wish it to be real? If that is the case then you are saying that you are immoral as well. I do not believe that you are really this immoral. You probably know better, but you have too much of an indoctrination into your false beliefs.

I'm offering you eternal life. Can two uncountable halves have a middle point?

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well, it would not be the last otherwise. Unless lungs are redundant when it comes to survive.

Many things are possible. That does not entail that they can possibly occur. For instance, it is logically possible that a human embryo develops wings that allow the born child to fly.

Are you aware of any instance of that among the 7billions and change?

Ciao

- viole
so you favor.....no chance at all.....
no one survives the last breath
not one
ever
no way
not even with billions of possibilities

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

You are offering opinion based on bronze age superstition.

His atoms have eternal life. After we die our bodies decompose to their constituent molecules. In the future some of those molecules and atoms may help to make up a new life or the air we breath or a new planet, even a new sun. What has religion got to offer that beats he chance of being part of the future, part of life or a sun sustaining the lives of billions?

BTW we are all made up of dead people, including a micro proportion of those who died believing they would go to heaven.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You are offering opinion based on bronze age superstition.

His atoms have eternal life. After we die our bodies decompose to their constituent molecules. In the future some of those molecules and atoms may help to make up a new life or the air we breath or a new planet, even a new sun. What has religion got to offer that beats he chance of being part of the future, part of life or a sun sustaining the lives of billions?

BTW we are all made up of dead people, including a micro proportion of those who died believing they would go to heaven.
i heard somewhere....there are now more people alive than have ever lived

I guess some of us have different origins

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

You offer, but there is no reason to think you can deliver the goods. Or, for that matter that they goods can be delivered in any form.

What does your question about middle point even mean? In the most obvious sense, the answer is a definite yes:
(-infty,0) and (0,+infty) are both uncountable halves with 0 as a middle point.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I think you're talking to the wrong person, or misunderstood the challenge.

There was nothing to misunderstand. I provided proof of my statement.

So, perhaps if you actually addressed your posts to whoever you were responding too rather than randomly placing "prove it" where it could be misunderstood, such problems wouldn't be a problrm

leroy

Do you mean "A Universe From Nothing?" I have both read the book and watched the video:

I am not so sure if I agree with your short interpretation, I might have to review it again. One thing that he did show was that a universe from nothing does not violate the law of conservation of energy. The total energy of the universe is zero. Therefore a universe from nothing and a universe with a total energy of zero is not a problem.
Laurence is simply using popular and catchy expressions for marketing and advertisement.

With “nothing” he doesn’t really mean nothing he means “something like a sea of stable energy that became stable” ……obviously energy is something.

With negative energy he doesn’t mean “negative calories” nor “negative heat” nor anything like that, with negative energy he simply means repulsive energy (gravity) when he says that the total energy is cero, he simply means that the universe is flat (the curvature is zero) but that doesn’t mean that there is no energy in the universe, nor that “negative energy” nullifies “positive energy”

Obviously a book with “A universe from nothing” as title, is better than something like “a universe from a quantum field”

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Laurence is simply using popular and catchy expressions for marketing and advertisement.

With “nothing” he doesn’t really mean nothing he means “something like a sea of stable energy that became stable” ……obviously energy is something.

With negative energy he doesn’t mean “negative calories” nor “negative heat” nor anything like that, with negative energy he simply means repulsive energy (gravity) when he says that the total energy is cero, he simply means that the universe is flat (the curvature is zero) but that doesn’t mean that there is no energy in the universe, nor that “negative energy” nullifies “positive energy”

Obviously a book with “A universe from nothing” as title, is better than something like “a universe from a quantum field”
No, he is not. Where did you get that claim from? And no, he does not mean that "repulsive energy" is negative energy. This is not his idea, he helped to develop it, but it is accepted by the majority of physicists today.

The point about "nothing" is that nothing as you think of it is simply not possible in our universe. Energy is mostly bookkeeping and A Universe From Nothing demonstrates that the books balance. There is no violation of the First Law of Thermodynamics when one has a universe from nothing.

ChristineM

Premium Member

I have posted this before, ill post it again.

[1404.1207] Spontaneous creation of the universe from nothing

Krauss knew exactly what he was talking about... Apparently you dont.;