• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the bible

mandokid

How can anyone still believe completely in the bible and get all their answers to life from it when it has been provwn by so many people that it has been changed drastically over time by scribes who added things or took out things or changed things because they hasd their own agenda. When people quote the bible, theycould just be quoting random scribe added things. Can the bible really be considered the divine word of god anymore?

standing_alone

People believe completely any religious text when it gives them meaning for life and standards by which to live their lives. They may be disagreeable to me and I may not see them as the devine word of god nor believe that their god exists, but if they aren't harming you, me, or anybody else, what's the problem if they choose to believe in the divinity of such religious texts?

mandokid

My point is that it has been proven that the bible has been changed from its original text yet it is still considered god's word. I'm not asking why anyone would believe in a religious text but why people still believe in the bible even though they know it isnt what it origanlly was.

standing_alone

My point is that it has been proven that the bible has been changed from its original text yet it is still considered god's word. I'm not asking why anyone would believe in a religious text but why people still believe in the bible even though they know it isnt what it origanlly was.
And I still think that people choose to believe that a religious text is of devine origin to derive meanings, purposes, and standards to live their lives by. I don't think the fact that it has changed from what it originially was matters to most people. They read the text in its current format and derive that which they are looking for from that - they remain either ignorant or apathetic to what the original text was; they'll take the text they have easily accessible, original or not.

jazzalta

mandokid said:
How can anyone still believe completely in the bible and get all their answers to life from it when it has been provwn by so many people that it has been changed drastically over time by scribes who added things or took out things or changed things because they hasd their own agenda. When people quote the bible, theycould just be quoting random scribe added things. Can the bible really be considered the divine word of god anymore?
You raise a good point. I used to wonder that as well. But then I realized I am not to judge anyone's faith. We all have our own paths and beliefs. I happen to be on one that is more universal and less based on dogma.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
mandokid said:
Can the bible really be considered the divine word of god anymore?
Absolutely...IF you believe that it IS the infallible Word of God. For those that do...including myself...it is the ONLY book I need...because it isn't just a book to me...it's my Father...speaking to ME from the pages. I don't expect anyone else to feel as a I do but I consider my Bibles a blessing.

Nimaj

If the Bible is untrue, then why does it not contradict itself? Although there is a tremendous difference between doctrine between the Old and New testaments, it is explained. So, I do think that the Bible is true, and will continue to think so.

mandokid

Let me put it to you this way. We know the bible has changed, no one can really deny that. So if it has changed then it is not really the word of god anymore. You could say that maybe the people who changed it were working through god, meaning god wanted them to change it. But if this were the case, than you really cant say that the bible is infallible because if something is infallible then it really isnt open for change

Scott1

mandokid said:
But if this were the case, than you really cant say that the bible is infallible because if something is infallible then it really isnt open for change
Ummmm... a billion or so of us Catholic/Orthodox etc Christians DO NOT believe the Bible to be infallible... so what's your point?

Smoke

Done here.
Nimaj said:
If the Bible is untrue, then why does it not contradict itself? Although there is a tremendous difference between doctrine between the Old and New testaments, it is explained. So, I do think that the Bible is true, and will continue to think so.
The Bible contradicts itself in plenty of places. We could easily spend the rest of our lives going over the various contradictions and the ways in which believers attempt to explain them away. But I don't think it would be a good idea. :D

Somewhere around here I have a book called The Battle for the Bible, by Harold Lindsell. That book illustrates pretty neatly the kind of contortions you have to go through to explain away the contradictions, and really I think those who insist on an infallible Bible often do greater violence to the text than those who accept the Bible as it is -- interesting, but fallible.

Scott1

MidnightBlue said:
I think those who insist on an infallible Bible often do greater violence to the text than those who accept the Bible as it is -- interesting, but fallible.
Amen... well said... thank God we have more than just words on paper to guide us.

Christianity is the religion of the "Word" of God, a word which is "not a written and mute word, but the Word is incarnate and living".
St. Bernard

jazzalta

Nimaj said:
There is contradiction. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does render the writings fallible. Do a search on bible errancy and you'll find some interesting and thought provoking challenges to your faith. I suggest you only do this with an open mind however.

Hacker

I believe there are MANY contradictions in the bible. FIrst off, I'm starting to wonder about eating meat and I'm very perplexed by the versus in the bible about how man can do what they want with animals for food(something like that i'm tired, )lol:D _Secondly, there are some versus in the bible that make the Lord sound like an angry jealous God and I'm sorry that I' don't know them off by heart. I believe that the Lord is a loving God and man wanted to control people through their own writings, in additon, I think politics played a role in the history off all of this. How the heck are we ever going to know, except through the historical writings in which millions of people read...in which the way one interprets it could be translated in a million different ways. I do however, will admit that I think some of the bible is credible, but definitely not from cover to cover for my taste or how I want to percieve a loving God, in which I believe he is.

may

mandokid said:
my answer to that would be , its a good job that there are some people out there ,who have published translations as near as can be ,to the original text ,with nothing to cloud the original thought. seek and you will find

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
mandokid said:
It doesn't matter that it isn't "what it originally was." The Old Testament was strictly oral tradition for so long, that by the time it was written down the stories had undoubtedly changed. We don't believe because every letter and word is "original." we believe because God reveals God's self to us through what is written there. Words may (and do) change. The audience changes, as well as the cultural lens through which they read the Bible. But the fundamental message and revelation remains intact. we believe that, no matter what humanity might do to the "original" scriptures, God still imparts God's message to us, in our time, through the legacy of the sacred writings. Older does not automatically equate with "better." Sometimes newer is better...