• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible seems to always promote a flat earth belief over a spherical earth

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ok. Lets try again.

You know without a doubt a circle is referring to a flat earth correct?

Does that mean the four corners are referring to a flat square or flat rectangular earth since circles don't have corners?
It could also refer to a circular table supported by four legs.

That would make the most sense I would think in that context.

We Never Know

No Slack
It could also refer to a circular table supported by four legs.

That would make the most sense I would think in that context.
So this for example makes you think of a circle on four legs and the legs are the corners? lol

Rev.7​

[1] "And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree."

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
So this for example makes you think of a circle on four legs and the legs are the corners? lol

Rev.7​

[1] "And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree."
The thread title is "The Bible seems to always promote a flat earth belief over a spherical earth"

I'm saying having four corners seems to promote a flat earth rather than a spherical one. The flat earth the Bible mentions isn't necessarily consistent. Though I think Orlando Ferguson made a good effort to combine the four corners with a circle.

Also Revelation is a vision so it doesn't need to be consistent with how it portrays the earth compared to the rest of the Bible.

Maybe the authors of some books of the Bible thought the earth was circular and others thought it had corners.... but it seems they all thought it was flat and there is no evidence any of them thought the earth was spherical (and that some people on the earth are upside down, and there is no ends to the earth, etc).

Last edited:

Eli G

When a person says that there are 4 cardinal points (north, south, east, west), does he believe that the earth is square? :rolleyes:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So how long have we been accelerating at this rate and when did we reach the speed of light?
What it really neat about the Theory of Relativity is that one can keep accelerated at any rate forever and ever get any closer to the speed of light.

We Never Know

No Slack
The thread title is "The Bible seems to always promote a flat earth belief over a spherical earth"

I'm saying having four corners seems to promote a flat earth rather than a spherical one. The flat earth the Bible mentions isn't necessarily consistent. Though I think Orlando Ferguson made a good effort to combine the four corners with a circle.

Also Revelation is a vision so it doesn't need to be consistent with how it portrays the earth compared to the rest of the Bible.

Maybe the authors of some books of the Bible thought the earth was circular and others thought it had corners.... but it seems they all thought it was flat and there is no evidence any of them thought the earth was spherical (and that some people on the earth are upside down, and there is no ends to the earth, etc).
If describing earth as a circle means its flat...
Using the same logic then the four corners means it square/rectangular.

Eli G

When atheists and some religious people accuse the Bible of saying that the earth is flat... how do they imagine it? Supported on something, or as a squared or rounded plane suspended in the void?

If you say that the Bible says that, I'm sure you are already experts on that subject according to what the Bible says. Enlighten us. :rolleyes:

Pogo

When atheists and some religious people accuse the Bible of saying that the earth is flat... how do they imagine it? Supported on something, or as a squared or rounded plane suspended in the void?

If you say that the Bible says that, I'm sure you are already experts on that subject according to what the Bible says. Enlighten us. :rolleyes:
This is the generally presented image,
83347f9a491d1ed85506d1fee72ee370.png

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This is the generally presented image,
83347f9a491d1ed85506d1fee72ee370.png
Yes, that follows the Jehovah's Witness standards on Bible interpretation. See what it consistently says about a subject and that is the right interpretation. The Bible only describes the Earth as flat in both word and deed. Besides those verses there are verses by deed that describe the Earth as flat, such as climbing a tall tree to see all of the lands. Going up a mountain with Satan to see every kingdom on the Earth. You could not do that with a globe.

Eli G

Someone would think these people study the Bible. :facepalm:

Job 26:7 He stretches out the northern sky over empty space,
Suspending the earth upon nothing;
8 He wraps up the waters in his clouds,
So that the clouds do not burst under their weight

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Someone would think these people study the Bible. :facepalm:

Job 26:7 He stretches out the northern sky over empty space,
Suspending the earth upon nothing;
8 He wraps up the waters in his clouds,
So that the clouds do not burst under their weight
That sounds rather Flat Earthy. The skies do not stretch over empty space, they are only over the Earth. But a Flat Earth that ends would possibly see the clouds stretching out even further to the north than where the Earth ended.

Second the Earth is not suspended. Again, that is how you would describe a Flat Earth where gravity was a particular direction in the universe. The Earth is not suspended, it is falling if anything. An orbit is when one body "falls" around another.

And the last one only demonstrates a lack of understanding of the Ideal Gas Law. Now I would not expect the scientifically ignorant writers of the Bible to understand that law. And it is a shame that most people do not understand it today.

Eli G

Anti-Bibles want to convince Christians that the Bible defends the idea of a flat earth... Isn't that funny? :p

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Anti-Bibles want to convince Christians that the Bible defends the idea of a flat earth... Isn't that funny? :p
Why do you think that it is funny? It is just another way that the Bible is wrong. That does not bother rational people.

"Oh look! The Bible is wrong again" Response "And water is wet. Big Whoop."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Rev.7​

Can still apply. One leg from each direction.

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
We Bible students don't see a flat earth anywhere in the Bible... but the enemies of the Bible think they study it better, so they want to teach us its contents. Isn't that funny?

What about flat earthers like Orlando Ferguson? How are they able to quote from the Bible if nothing in the Bible suggests a flat earth? Your link tries to fit a spherical earth into Bible passages but a flat earth fits better in all cases. e.g. the ends of the earth is literally true with a flat earth but a spherical earth has no ends (well maybe the poles - though there is no evidence the Bible was aware of the two poles).

Audie

Veteran Member
Why do you think that it is funny? It is just another way that the Bible is wrong. That does not bother rational people.

"Oh look! The Bible is wrong again" Response "And water is wet. Big Whoop."
The ( dark) humour is in the spectacle of
people trying to warp the bible, reason, and the
very fabric of reality to fit the patterns their
so- inadequate little minds concoct.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Ok. Lets try again.

You know without a doubt a circle is referring to a flat earth correct?

Does that mean the four corners are referring to a flat square or flat rectangular earth since circles don't have corners?
The ancient illustrations often depict as circular and curved, and geocentric with the sun, moon, stars and planets arrayed on firmament.