• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The attitude of various Christian denominations towards divination

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
As I am, in some respects, "new" to the bible, I understand that divination is a "no no" in Christianity, and it may well be the same in Judaism (I am not sure of their stance on this subject).

Though I never tried to "tell the future" (I used most of my time to try to use Astrology for working out an individual's strong and weak points) having studied Astrology, palmistry (from a diagnosis point of view as to propensity to certail ilnesses)& other forms of "divination" pre deciding that it is high time for me to read the Bible, I promptly ditched all my book, Tarot Cards, and my pendulum (used for dowsing).

Yet, one of my sons came back from a trip to Rome, where he visited the Vatican (something I have never done), and he told me that an entire wall is covered with the Astrology symbols.... so, I guess I am lost!

Any help (from Christians), please?

Link to website below the quote.

The Bible forbids any kind of fortune telling, even though our society often treats it as a parlor game. Even though you can buy things like Ouiji Boards, the 8 Ball, and Tarot Cards in toy stores, if you use them to tell fortunes, you will be acting against what the Bible says.

1. Identification
  2. Depending on which translation of the Bible that you read, the words "fortune telling" may not even appear. Most English versions use the term "divination" instead. The Old Testament prohibits the practice in no uncertain terms. Leviticus 19:26 says, "Do not practice divination or sorcery." Deuteronomy 18:10, 14 further demands that no member of the Israeli community should practice divination, even though it was a common practice of the neighboring cultures

Read more: What Does the Bible Say About Fortune Tellers? | eHow.com What Does the Bible Say About Fortune Tellers? | eHow.com

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I don't know what help I can be here. I am a former Pagan and I used the Tarot extensively in the past with amazing accuracy. My cards are put away now. The Bible is pretty clear about this.